Navigator Town Hall and New Name

Tucruisers

We were a bit concerned about returning to Navigator for the recent NY to Montreal cruise which ended last Friday after a break which included most recently two Explorer cruises. Disappointed to miss three ports of call (Bar Harbour, St Johns and Halifax) but happy with the way the Captain and Officers dealt with the situation and pleased overall with Navigator. I know she does not suit everybody but we enjoyed the smaller scale, excellent theatre layout and more intimate feel.

We were joined by Regent President and CEO Jason Montague (although he was delayed because of Dorian) and RSS Society Head Jason O'Keefe for this cruise. Both were visible and approachable and JM did a "Town Hall" event where he presented on Regent plans and took questions and contributions and also showed pics of Splendor's  progress in construction. We liked the lighter tones planned for Spledor, always thought Explorer too dark (and horrible "art" on the walls).

Also, a new ship planned but no name yet so JM invited suggestions, with Endevour (or Endevor) being most backed. What do you think? I wondered about "Intoxicator"? Apparently must end in "er" or "or".

Some changes coming with removing plastics, using smart devices for tours etc. Bring it on I say! For what it is worth (not much) my suggestions were to focus more on the quality of third party suppliers for transfers etc and also to try to get better docking locations. For example, we were docked at Pier 103 in Quebec City which is a bus ride out rather than in the City Centre Dock, lots of other location examples I could give. Makes a big difference to the cruise experience.

Final shout out to pianist Clive Carrington who was onboard. A star!

• Like 2

What you call "horrible "art" on the walls) is handpicked by NCLH's CEO - Frank Del Rio!  He picks artwork that he loves as well as artwork that he doesn't love - just to switch it up.  He has no doubt begun selecting art for Splendor.  I find some of the art to be wonderful but do not understand some pieces.  

In terms of the dark woods, marble and granite on Explorer, we find it lovely (not something that we would have in our home but, in our opinion, we prefer it to lighter tones.).  Just your post and mine shows that Regent cannot please everyone.  

Not sure that Regent has much say about where their ships are docked.  It is up to the port.  We have been on Regent when we dock in one place in the afternoon and then have to move a few hours later.  I'm sure that Regent doesn't like it any more than we do.    

Splendor is going to be a sister ship to Explorer so most of the Splendor will be similar.  

9 hours ago, Tucruisers said:

Also, a new ship planned but no name yet so JM invited suggestions, with Endevour (or Endevor) being most backed

If the excellent name “Endeavour” were to be chosen then there really should be no excuse for Regent not to spell it correctly, given all the historical precedents  🤨

• Like 2

I don't think "Endeavour" is a great name for a ship - seems to me it includes failure!  "I will endeavour to make a soufflé" ...  not much hope it will rise.  Whatever they choose I hope they spell it correctly though.

What about -

Clipper

Cruiser

Traveller

• Like 1

For what it is worth, I got the strong impression Regent is committed to the name ending in er or or so that would rule out Endevour, and Endevor would be a bit ridiculous. Still, I thought that about Spledor (still do) but it would not stop me sailing on her.

i had forgotten all about the earlier discussion on names so I guess all legal and decent suggestions were covered and maybe also some that don’t fall into those categories. 

For what it is worth my best effort is “Adventurer”. This ends in the approved er format, starts with a different letter than the rest of the fleet, and injects a (probably unjustified) element of excitement.

Jason M made no mention of prizes or reward for winning suggestion!

4 hours ago, Tucruisers said:

For what it is worth, I got the strong impression Regent is committed to the name ending in er or or so that would rule out Endevour, and Endevor would be a bit ridiculous. Still, I thought that about Spledor (still do) but it would not stop me sailing on her.

i had forgotten all about the earlier discussion on names so I guess all legal and decent suggestions were covered and maybe also some that don’t fall into those categories. 

For what it is worth my best effort is “Adventurer”. This ends in the approved er format, starts with a different letter than the rest of the fleet, and injects a (probably unjustified) element of excitement.

Jason M made no mention of prizes or reward for winning suggestion!

I’d be surprised if they didn’t do another “name our boat” contest for this one.

I put forth a few suggestions last time but didn’t make the cut.  I still have my favorite but it also started with “S” and I’m guessing they’ll want to mix it up on the next one.  Or maybe not.

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

I’d be surprised if they didn’t do another “name our boat” contest for this one.

The "contest" for Splendor was a bit of a sham. 

It was purely a draw from those who entered with no regard taken of the entrants' choice of ship name.

42 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

The "contest" for Splendor was a bit of a sham. 

It was purely a draw from those who entered with no regard taken of the entrants' choice of ship name.

That’s right, I’d forgotten that.  Purely a drawing, not a contest at all...

Agree that there will not be a contest for the naming of the next ship.  And, the fact that their ship names must end in "or" or "er" speaks to the fact that they do not want to name a ship using a spelling that is not recognized in the U.S.  After all, Regent (despite where their ships are registered) is a U.S. company (whether some passengers like it or not).

I do understand that the minority of Regent passengers would like to see a "name" that is spelled the way that they prefer, this is simply not going to happen.  There are British, German and other cruise lines that can do what they wish (whether it be food, service or ???), Regent has the same right.

Just as we have done on land vacations, either we embrace the differences or we would have been seriously disappointed.  When Club Med was owned by the French, we understood that everything would be from a French perspective.  Now that they are owned by the Chinese, the same is true..... except that we would not go to a resort that is Chinese oriented!

Jason Montague did not say anything about competitions or draws, he just invited suggestions for the name for the new ship which I passed on. He said that the "er" or "or" endings was for continuity, not because of different spellings in UK and US English.

I think everyone realises that Regent is US based and it is entirely up to them what they do but when invited to express opinions equally valid to say that some spellings will jar and look odd to some of us.

In any case, I guess they will be very much engaged with the Splendour, sorry Splendor launch next year.

All:

Reference an earlier post on another Thread some time ago--

My suggestion to Jason O for the ship which ultimately turned out to be "Splendor" (upon which we will sail next March) was:

"Terminator"

This meets all Regent criteria, to include the last two letters.  Regent wants to dominate the 5+star luxury category;  Regent encourages repeat patronage.  So--Arnold S. would preside at the christening.  After breaking the bottle, he would intone:  

"I'll be baaaaaaaak!"

This concept was mentioned to CD John Barron a little over two years ago while aboard Explorer.  He, shall I say, winced a bit.   

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 3:07 AM, Hambagahle said:

I don't think "Endeavour" is a great name for a ship - seems to me it includes failure!  "I will endeavour to make a soufflé" ...  not much hope it will rise.  Whatever they choose I hope they spell it correctly though.

What about -

Clipper

Cruiser

Traveller

Agree with you.  I still like Challenger.  If only it were not connected to the shuttle disaster.  Due to the discussions about spelling, perhaps it should be a name that is not spelled differently in the U.K., Canada and Australia.  

9 hours ago, Tucruisers said:

I think everyone realises that Regent is US based and it is entirely up to them what they do but when invited to express opinions equally valid to say that some spellings will jar and look odd to some of us.

Just for accuracy, US Based or a US Company are two complete different items.  Yes, Regent is US based in Miami however it is a Panamanian company registered as such in Panama.

Not much different from many US Companies who are registered as Delaware companies/corporations however are based in states other than Delaware.

43 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Just for accuracy, US Based or a US Company are two complete different items.  Yes, Regent is US based in Miami however it is a Panamanian company registered as such in Panama.

Not much different from many US Companies who are registered as Delaware companies/corporations however are based in states other than Delaware.

You have brought this up previously.  For purposes of Cruise Critic, where the company is registered really doesn't come up at all.  What matters is that their headquarters are in the United States.  The CEO's of NCLH, NCL, Oceania and Regent live in the United States, an Regent markets mostly to North America.  In all the years that we have sailed on Regent, where the company is registered has been a non-issue (as I feel that it is on CC).

21 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

After all, Regent (despite where their ships are registered) is a U.S. company (whether some passengers like it or not).

If where Regent is registered is a non-issue on CC why didn't you say headquartered rather than incorrectly stating that Regent is a US Company which it clearly is not?

What companies home country is, is an important issue for many financial and legal issues and why the choice of companies registration is important and needs to be clearly identified even on CC.

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

If where Regent is registered is a non-issue on CC why didn't you say headquartered rather than incorrectly stating that Regent is a US Company which it clearly is not?

What companies home country is, is an important issue for many financial and legal issues and why the choice of companies registration is important and needs to be clearly identified even on CC.

The headquarters of Regent is in Florida - not in Panama!!!!!!!!!!!!  I personally do not care where it is registered and have no idea why you think it should be important to CC members or Regent passengers.  Yes - there are legal issues, etc., but that has no effect whatsoever on their passengers.  For all intents and purposes, Regent is a U.S. company.  

Think that we should let posters on this thread continue posting about the Town Hall and New Name since that is the subject of this thread.  It is best to stay on topic!