I cruise because...

scrotser

All great answers. I absolutely love salt air! Crazy since I grew up in Wisconsin.

Someone mentioned that cruisers are more friendly than folks at an AI, I never thought about it and at first glance I would have to agree. We have only done two Couples resorts and many Sandals. It is more of an intimate setting with your traveling partner at an AI. Maybe that's why it seems less friendly. Of course there are usually A LOT more people on a cruise  to connect with also.

• Like 1

I cruise because there are some places best seen/visited via a cruise ship.  I take land based vacations about 4:1 over cruises, because the majority of the places I want to visit aren't anywhere near an ocean or sea, or I want to spend more than a day there.

In addition to getting a nice "sampler plate" of places we'd like to return to for the "full five-course meal," I love cruising because my husband is more relaxed on a cruise ship than anywhere else.

He is about to retire from the fire service after 30 years at his current department, and 41 years overall. Nearly every day of his career, he has met people having the worst day of their lives, and it's his job to try to make it better, especially in the 28 years he's been an investigator. 

We also love to travel by RV, but he's still a bit on edge, concerned about a breakdown, road issues, etc.

On a cruise ship, if something goes wrong, there is absolutely nothing he can do to fix it, but there are lots of well-trained folks who can. He can just chill... and he does! 

I love cruising too, for many of the reasons stated above, but seeing my hero being able to completely relax and enjoy himself is the best reason of all!

• Like 2

We like good food and wine

packing and unpacking once

we only do non driving vacation 

love the entertainment 

now we book suites so we get extra pampering, although started cruising in inside cabins in days before there were balconies on cruise ships. 

On other vacations are normally nyc and sometimes sandals which are similar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

we only do non driving vacation 

Same with me.  I consider driving to be equivalent to working.  So I avoid driving during my vacations whenever humanly possible, even if it costs me more.  This includes rental cars.  Road trips are kind of an exception, but even then, I don't want to do any driving at my destination.

21 hours ago, MamaFej said:

In addition to getting a nice "sampler plate" of places we'd like to return to for the "full five-course meal," I love cruising because my husband is more relaxed on a cruise ship than anywhere else.

He is about to retire from the fire service after 30 years at his current department, and 41 years overall. Nearly every day of his career, he has met people having the worst day of their lives, and it's his job to try to make it better, especially in the 28 years he's been an investigator. 

We also love to travel by RV, but he's still a bit on edge, concerned about a breakdown, road issues, etc.

On a cruise ship, if something goes wrong, there is absolutely nothing he can do to fix it, but there are lots of well-trained folks who can. He can just chill... and he does! 

I love cruising too, for many of the reasons stated above, but seeing my hero being able to completely relax and enjoy himself is the best reason of all!

Love this post and please thank your husband for all he does.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is a great way to come home from our trips to Europe.

I can't wait until we retire so we can use trans Atlantic's and Pacific's to get to and from.  Right now it would eat up half of our PTO, so we fly.

12 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I can't wait until we retire so we can use trans Atlantic's and Pacific's to get to and from.  Right now it would eat up half of our PTO, so we fly.

Once time is no longer  a consideration, you will get to spend a leisurely week or two in comfort, crossing the Atlantic east in the Spring or west in the Fall , gradually adjusting to the time change, for significantly less out of pocket cost than a business class flight.

22 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Love this post and please thank your husband for all he does.

Thanks, Mike!

He's on his third to last 24 hour shift right now. Yesterday, he went to lunch with former colleagues, retired between 8 and 21 years. He had a wonderful time and we are looking forward to joining the retiree campouts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

health can often stymy any of those future plans. I travel when I can for as long as I can.

That's why we're doing a number of land-based, figuring the cruises will still be there when we're not as mobile.

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

High Canada - Northwest Passage

Eastern Greenland

Pitcairn Island

Tristan da Cunha

DON

So you can only go there on cruises?  I'm surprised.  Can you provide citations to support that?  Thanks.