Cruise Critic Community
Micahs Grandad

Princess land tour problem

No idea where else to put this so leaving it here.

Just back from an 8 day land tour of Alaska after 7 day cruise.

Overall we had a great time but one huge hiccup that I want to bring to Princess's attention.

One of the reasons we booked this was to finally sea the Northern Lights.

Tour director advised us to go to front desk of each lodge we stayed at and get on list for phone tree if they came out We im.mediately did this

First night in Denali lodge came out, they started to call and stopped after about 20 calls. As a result almost all guests missed it. Complained to front desk and totally uncaring.

Second  night in Fairbanks got the call at 2 50 am. Rushed to go outside and nothing. Found out the next morning they came out at 12 30 and two hours later they were gone.

Want to complain but any suggestion to whom we bring this too? Nothing they can really do for us now but would think they would be better than this.

I would write to Princess in Santa Clarita with the specifics. Princess' cruisetour department I believe is in or near Seattle, but can't locate a mailing address.

I am so sorry for this mix-up and your loss!  I don't know which is worse, to not get the phone call or to get it hours too late.  I would be very upset.

Princess has some clout with the land tours.  They book enough of them so if they know the lodge doesn't care or they are not providing the total experience; I would assume they want to know this

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Princess has some clout with the land tours.  They book enough of them so if they know the lodge doesn't care or they are not providing the total experience; I would assume they want to know this

They own the lodges so the people are their employees.

Hope someone will know whom to go to in order to address this problem,

We had the same problem at a Princess lodge, but it was related to seeing Mt. Denali, and not the northern lights.

Much of the time the mountain is hidden in clouds and many people have never seen the mountain when staying at the lodge.

You could sign up for a phone call if the mountain became visible. With the very short nights, it could be before you might normally wake up.

When we woke up one morning, I looked out the window and there was the Mountain in all of its glory. We had received no phone call.

After getting dressed and going outside to take photos, going to breakfast and returning to the room, we then received a phone call saying the mountain was visible. Definitely not a timely notification.

I suspect the problem is that there is no automated way to make the notification calls.

How about you ask to speak with the manager of the hotel and not just the front desk staff.  Maybe the manager who probably is home sleeping at 2am;  would want to know their employees are not giving the total vacation experience.  

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

How about you ask to speak with the manager of the hotel and not just the front desk staff.  Maybe the manager who probably is home sleeping at 2am;  would want to know their employees are not giving the total vacation experience.  

Well could do that next time but now we are back. Very surprised it happened at two Princess lodges

5 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Well could do that next time but now we are back. Very surprised it happened at two Princess lodges

I agree with Caribill -- no automated call system.

Send detailed - and polite - email to:  customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Include your contact information including telephone.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Send detailed - and polite - email to:  customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Include your contact information including telephone.

That was the suggestion made by my TA and unless I get a better suggestion will go that route. Thought that the land tour dept would be a better starting point but unable to find anyway to reach them.

14 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

That was the suggestion made by my TA and unless I get a better suggestion will go that route. Thought that the land tour dept would be a better starting point but unable to find anyway to reach them.

They are likely to give you a call to ask you about your issue. That's a very good reason to be polite and reasonable in your note rather than ranting. Rants get one nowhere while calm and reasoned statements tend to get a phone call from a concerned rep. Best of luck. We're traveling on a Northern Lights cruise next month and I would be horribly disappointed if we didn't get a timely notice of the appearance of the lights.

Edited by Thrak