Better Bourbon and Scotch

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

Yeap.

Same thing with Johnny Walker. 

There are much better blended whiskies available.  

I'm a big JW fan, always loved their blends. I'm not a fan of Shiva's, Dewer's or J&B but I'm always on the lookout for some good scotch. Not too much into single malts, only one I really liked was Balvenie 12 year Doublewood. I like JW Black because of its price point, and to me, and many others, it's a very fine scotch. Can you recommends some blends I might try that you think are better than JW? I'd be willing to try them.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

I'm a big JW fan, always loved their blends. I'm not a fan of Shiva's, Dewer's or J&B but I'm always on the lookout for some good scotch. Not too much into single malts, only one I really liked was Balvenie 12 year Doublewood. I like JW Black because of its price point, and to me, and many others, it's a very fine scotch. Can you recommends some blends I might try that you think are better than JW? I'd be willing to try them.

Have you tried JW double black, also like the more expensive JW green and gold. chevis regal is also good. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

Have you tried JW double black, also like the more expensive JW green and gold. chevis regal is also good. 

Thank you, yes, I've had Double Black several times and although I like the peatiness of it, it leaves me with dry mouth, something fierce. I like a somewhat peaty scotch but I also prefer the blends because, well, blends are better. 🙂 I'm not big on single malts simply because I think blends are better, at least that's been my experience. I've had a lot of of single malts and I just don't get the excitement. Maybe that's what they mean by "single malt snob", LOL.

Shiva's is not bad but the 12 year is way more than JWB, which I think is better, anyway.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:56 PM, Sea Dog said:

I can only dream of finding "Pappy Van Winkle" on a ship because it will never happen. I have seen and heard of "Blanton's" being on some ships but not recently. Harmony does have "Whistle Pig Rye," which I like a lot so I will be happy. Anything Buffalo Trace puts out is great IMO.

I guess you will have to cruise with Holland America sometime to find Pappy Van Winkle. They had it last November at the Notes tasting area on Koningsdam.168457884.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rusty nut said:

Ditto, I like single malts but JWB is a good go to, everyday blend.  I also like J&B as a back up. Not a fan of Dewers or Chivas Regal. 

I too am open to other blends however.

Edited by mac66

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow impressive. I need to come over. I especially like your collection of Balvenie. I'm a big fan. 

More than welcome to come over for a dram next time you're over in Scotland! I'm only 15 mins from speyside. Aye, Balvenie is my favourite, such a smooth dram.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 2:09 PM, shellunderwater said:

So, last two cruises... Freedom from San Juan and recently Majesty from FLL, I've wanted some better premium bourbon or scotch, such as Blanton's or an 18 year single barrel.  I just couldn't find it on either ship.  I guess the Freedom is catering to their key clientele with rum.  

We will be on Enchantment is a few months and I'd like to set my own mental expectations.  Anything better than their normal Makers, etc? 

Not that the top shelf is bad, I'm just willing to pay a couple of dollars extra (above my package) to get a premium pour.

My husband loves Maker's Mark, he gets it on every cruise.  Doubt he has ever heard of the brands you mentioned - lol

Just got off the Allure. Not sure if they had it on the bar or not but it was in the duty-free shop for $69.99. Too steep for me! We used to get it from Kroger when they had their discounts for buying 6 bottles but now Blanton is nowhere to be found at our local Kroger! We still need an"S" and an "O" for DH's homemade cork stand!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SRF said:

When have you seen Ardbeg?

And since when is Ardbeg only mildly peaty??????   Other than Octomore, it and Laphroaig are the peatiest.

Dewars, Chivas, and Johnny Walker are all blended whisky.  And should not be mentioned in a serious discussion of Scotch whisky. 🙂

Navigator, Empress, can't remember them all had Ardbeg.  My favorite is Lagavulin but Laphroaig is a more economical solution.  Saw Lagavulin in the suite lounge on Harmony once.  Too expensive for me even with the drink package $13 off.  

JW Black I enjoy because I can pull out some of the flavors of the blend, particularly Talisker but the more I drink I can pull out hints of other Scotches so it remains my fall back when a bar doesn't have a decent Scotch.  JW Red should be banned around the globe.

Edited by twangster

On 9/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, rusty nut said:

Famous Grouse and Black Grouse are two I will gladly drink.

Teacher's is interesting.

JW Green is a pretty good whisky, but it is a blended malt.  That is, it all malt whisky, but from different distilleries.

A single malt, is all malt whisky, and all the whisky in the bottle came from that distillery.

A blended whisky is malt whisky and grain whisky (corn).  Which is much cheaper.  And tends to be lighter.  And yes, even the highly praised JW Blue has grain whisky in the bottle. 🙂

18 hours ago, strachan01 said:

More than welcome to come over for a dram next time you're over in Scotland! I'm only 15 mins from speyside. Aye, Balvenie is my favourite, such a smooth dram.

Funny, I live in Aberdeen also. 😄

But a different one.

I cannot drink Speysides.  There is a very off taste on the back of my palate after I swallow it.  And several other people I know have the same issue.

One day, I want to drink some water directly from the river to see if it is the source for this off taste.

And yes, I have tried a number of Speysides.   And it happens with every one.  But it does not with any Highland, Lowland, or Island.

22 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Anybody like the Redbreast 15 yr Single Pot Still Whiskey? I've had it and it's really good.

Red Breast is a very good Irish whiskey.  

Difference is, Scotch whisky is made mainly with peated malted barley.  And double distilled.  Irish whiskey is made with unpeated malted barley, and triple distilled.  Tends to be a lighter flavor, and not peaty.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rusty nut said:

Thank you, yes, I've had Double Black several times and although I like the peatiness of it, it leaves me with dry mouth, something fierce. I like a somewhat peaty scotch but I also prefer the blends because, well, blends are better. 🙂 I'm not big on single malts simply because I think blends are better, at least that's been my experience. I've had a lot of of single malts and I just don't get the excitement. Maybe that's what they mean by "single malt snob", LOL.

Shiva's is not bad but the 12 year is way more than JWB, which I think is better, anyway.

Do you know why blended whisky was invented?

It was invented to get women to drink Scotch, as the traditional (single malt) whiskies were more overpowering. So the grain whisky was added to smooth them out and make them lighter in flavor.

The draw of a single malt is the complexity.  All the various flavors as it rolls across the tongue, and lingers.  And the change in flavor profile as you add a wee bit of water (not too much).

And yes, most single malts should have a bit of water added.

When I try a new whisky.  I taste it neat.  Then I add a tiny bit of water, and taste again, and then a bit more water, and taste.  At some point, you know you have hit the proper mix as the aroma and flavor peaks.  

23 hours ago, strachan01 said:

I'm really hoping Symphony has some nice single malts...! I do like my fair share of them.... 😁

As I commented to another post.  Nice collection.  If a bit small. 😄

Since we have a very knowledgeable group of folks here, I need ask this question - where should someone who does not have much experience with whiskey begin on a RCCL cruise complete with drink package?  I am not afraid of paying a few bucks for an upcharge, but I have no idea where to start.  What is the best way to order - neat, rocks, with water, straight from bottle?

19 minutes ago, ileys said:

What is the best way to order - neat, rocks, with water, straight from bottle?

I started on the rocks and then progressed to neat. You can always ask for it neat with some ice cubes on the side. Some order it neat and have with them a little eye dropper bottle with distilled water and put a few drops in to open it up. The great thing about having the DDP is that if you try something and don't like it just order something different.

• Like 1