Laundry special requests

Wayfairers

We took our first cruise with free laundry earlier this year and loved it.  We took clothes that were all machine wash and dry and had no issues at all.  Next cruise I am considering taking some clothes that are machine wash but hang dry.  Has anyone done laundry with a no dry request?  How did it go?

I haven't tried it yet but have read on other threads where people posted that they have requested that and have had good luck.  I always request cold wash and cool dry and they don't seem to have a problem with that.  Will be following this to see what answers you get since we're getting ready for a 40 day cruise next month and will definitely be using free laundry and dry cleaning.

I'm following this too because I'm on the same cruise as zelker and since it's a long one I have some items that are hang to dry. I figured I'd have to hand wash them but if you can get wash and return wet that would be wonderful!!

Thanks, Sue

5 minutes ago, bjbear said:

I'm following this too because I'm on the same cruise as zelker and since it's a long one I have some items that are hang to dry. I figured I'd have to hand wash them but if you can get wash and return wet that would be wonderful!!

Thanks, Sue

Hi, Sue - Don't know about you but I'll still take Woolite with, and I also always take a couple of inflatable hangers which I've traveled with for years because even if they will return tops damp, I prefer not to hang them on metal or wood while they finish drying.  Barb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

We took our first cruise with free laundry earlier this year and loved it.  We took clothes that were all machine wash and dry and had no issues at all.  Next cruise I am considering taking some clothes that are machine wash but hang dry.  Has anyone done laundry with a no dry request?  How did it go?

Our last cruise we did a 48 day on the Oosterdam and requested only cold wash and hang to dry,  Our laundry was done without any problems, our clothes came back perfect, we were very happy with the service.  We are doing  a 51 day next month on the AMSTERDAM and will be requesting the same service, hope we are not going to have any issues as majority of our clothes is HANG TO DRY.....

Edited by xjust4fun
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xjust4fun said:

Our last cruise we did a 48 day on the Oosterdam and requested only cold wash and hang to dry,  Our laundry was done without any problems, our clothes came back perfect, we were very happy with the service.  We are doing  a 51 day next month on the AMSTERDAM and will be requesting the same service, hope we are not going to have any issues as majority of our clothes is HANG TO DRY.....

Was your clothing pressed before returning to you?

14 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Was your clothing pressed before returning to you?

It certainly was not wrinkled, there was a crease on our  dress pants and blouses.  We were very pleased with the service, it was the first time that we had no issues whatsoever with our laundry..  We even sent a note to Guest services to compliment on the service, it was that good....

26 minutes ago, xjust4fun said:

So were your hang to dry items dry before they were returned to you?

2 minutes ago, xjust4fun said:

It certainly was not wrinkled, there was a crease on our  dress pants and blouses.  We were very pleased with the service, it was the first time that we had no issues whatsoever with our laundry..  We even sent a note to Guest services to compliment on the service, it was that good....

Thank you for your reply, will remember to request this next cruise.

1 minute ago, zelker said:

So were your hang to dry items dry before they were returned to you?

Yes they were, all on hangers, except the personal was neatly folded and in the basket.  We requested cold wash and hang to dry NO DRYER on the sheet and for the first time ever we were elated with the service.  The staff on the Oosterdam did an amazing job, so we are going to request the same on our cruise next month so hope the service will be as good...

1 minute ago, xjust4fun said:

Yes they were, all on hangers, except the personal was neatly folded and in the basket.  We requested cold wash and hang to dry NO DRYER on the sheet and for the first time ever we were elated with the service.  The staff on the Oosterdam did an amazing job, so we are going to request the same on our cruise next month so hope the service will be as good...

And here I was envisioning everything coming back damp and having to be hung in the bathroom, etc. until it dried but this will make life SO much easier!!  Thanks for answering so quickly, too.  Excited to give it a go.  😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

And here I was envisioning everything coming back damp and having to be hung in the bathroom, etc. until it dried but this will make life SO much easier!!  Thanks for answering so quickly, too.  Excited to give it a go.  😊

My pleasure... HAL does not always do something perfect but on that cruise our laundry service was indeed PERFECT, for 2 travelling ladies with various types of clothing we were very impressed.  Just make sure to annotate the form with your request, we made notes on top and bottom of the form, they could not miss our laundry wishes.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Hi, Sue - Don't know about you but I'll still take Woolite with, and I also always take a couple of inflatable hangers which I've traveled with for years because even if they will return tops damp, I prefer not to hang them on metal or wood while they finish drying.  Barb

Hi Barb - I also take Woolite and have used my inflatable hangers for years until they finally wore out.  A couple years ago I discovered these plastic fold up hangers from Magellans that are my new favs. I have 6 of them now, they fold up to nothing for the suitcase but have notches in them that are perfect for hanging bras and are plastic so they don't hurt your clothes.   Sue

1 minute ago, bjbear said:

Hi Barb - I also take Woolite and have used my inflatable hangers for years until they finally wore out.  A couple years ago I discovered these plastic fold up hangers from Magellans that are my new favs. I have 6 of them now, they fold up to nothing for the suitcase but have notches in them that are perfect for hanging bras and are plastic so they don't hurt your clothes.   Sue

Sound interesting. Can you post a link to them pls.  

5 minutes ago, zelker said:

Sound interesting. Can you post a link to them pls.  

Barb, I'm totally tech challenged and haven't figured out how to post a link, I know I have to figure it out!!  Go to the Magellans website and put "foldable travel hangers,  set of 2" in the search window.   Sue

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, xjust4fun said:

Great info.  Thanks!   I’ll do that 

1 hour ago, bjbear said:

Barb, I'm totally tech challenged and haven't figured out how to post a link, I know I have to figure it out!!  Go to the Magellans website and put "foldable travel hangers,  set of 2" in the search window.   Sue

Here you go:

https://www.magellans.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=MF6142

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all this helpful info.  In the past I've gotten an itchy rash when I changed laundry detergent, so I'm a little afraid of using the ship's laundry service.   Would it be nervy if I took my own detergent and asked them to use that for my  laundry? 

2 hours ago, RAS4331 said:

Thanks for all this helpful info.  In the past I've gotten an itchy rash when I changed laundry detergent, so I'm a little afraid of using the ship's laundry service.   Would it be nervy if I took my own detergent and asked them to use that for my  laundry? 

I think it would be pushing it,  but you never know.  I don’t know what that would do to their laundry process or if they even have a machine they could dedicate to just your clothes.   

1 hour ago, RAS4331 said:

Wayfairers, right, that's what I was thinking.  I'll probably just take my chances and hope that they use a mild laundry soap.  Thanks for answering. 🙂

This might interest you … as part of HAL being a "green" cruise line ...

• All cleaning agents are non-toxic
  • Detergents used in laundering are made from soy, and banana and orange extracts (not to worry, laundry doesn't come back smelling like a fruit smoothie 😉)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RAS4331 said:

Bolding is mine.  Yes, it would be nervy.  And, you would be refused.

HAL uses a special environmentally friendly cleaning agent (zelker has described in a post above accurately).  It’s been chosen especially to cause the least problems for people with allergies and the ocean.

• Thanks 2