Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
loman

So , are dogs allowed on cruise ships now ?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

While true that service dogs do not require certification, it is not true that nothing can be done about it. A business CAN require documentation when the animal is for emotional support. The documentation is not on the animal, but on the person claiming the need for the animal.

The problem is that there is NO WAY to distinguish one from the other.  A person has only to say, “this is my service animal” and case closed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Don'tNeedAName said:

 

Once again, you misrepresent the reality of the situation.  A donkey is not recognized as a service animal under the ADA.

I'm SURE it's coming though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

 

Once again, you misrepresent the reality of the situation.  A donkey is not recognized as a service animal under the ADA.

IT WAS IN JEST, Richard. Tongue in cheek.

Edited by johnjen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

 

Requiring a person with a service animal to provide a blanket to cover the seat in your vehicle and then refusing to serve them if they do not do so is discriminating against people with a disability if you do not require that from all others.  If you would like to provide your own cover, then you could certainly do it.

 

Just because others have complied, and no one has actually complained does not mean you are right.  If you do not want to be required to make reasonable accommodations for those needing service animals as required by law, you are opening yourself up to risk.  I see in another reply you have used the "so sue me" language.  It's fine that you have a cavalier attitude about it.  However, you may feel differently if you do receive a complaint, or should you ever require a service animal yourself.

 

If you believe the law is wrong, then write your congressman.

 

Get off your high horse. No pun intended. What you and others asking is that I provide you a service that has a very strong potential for me to stop my flow of income. And you're doing this with an expectation that I'm supposed to do it.  If you use a service such as Uber, you should understand the situation the driver is in. Knock that damn chip off your shoulder and come to understand that I don't have a problem w/ you... I have a problem with you expecting me to lose income w/ your request. Once you understand this you'll be in a better position to help me to help you. It isn't just about your need for a service animal as it is a friggin' blanket. It's about you getting from point A to point B and using a service to get there. I try like hell to understand your needs, the least you can do try to understand the service provider's situation too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@johnjen No, there is no legislation pending to allow a donkey to be covered under Title II or III of the ADA. I find your posts insulting and discriminatory. Most everyone has noted the difference between Service Animals, Emotional Support Animals (ESA) and the abuse of ESAs. Not a single person on this thread has advocated for ESAs to be covered by the ADA. Almost everyone has noted their distaste for those that abuse either form of support animal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even sure why people always bring up people being blind. At least two blind people work at my company and my grandfather was blind and lived alone in his apartment until he died. None of them have/had a service dog. 

 

There are a lot of vacation/travel types I can't do even though I am not disabled and I am sure at some point I won't be able to cruise due to health reasons as well. That is life, not everything is fair and not everything someone else is able is possible for everyone. 

 

I am pretty sure if cruise lines start having more of these service animals or, another hot topic for me, scooter armadas other guests will go somewhere else. The cruise lines then will decide who to cater for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, johnjen said:

I'm SURE it's coming though!

 

How are you "SURE"?  As noted earlier in this very thread, the only recent change with respect to recognized service animals was to make it more restrictive with respect to miniature horses.  Now, for the purposes of titles 2 and 3 of the ADA, only dogs are recognized as service animals.

 

Based on your responses, you have made it clear that you do not understand the implications of what you are saying.  You claim to be making comments "in jest", but that shows you are ignoring the very real problems that people with disabilities face.  Good for you, that you are able to joke about them.  Others are not so lucky to have it be a laughing matter.

 

There are people who have valid needs for legitimate service animals, and they are only trying to live their lives.  If someone wants to run a business in the manner of a public accommodation, then they must also accommodate those legitimate service animals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

Get off your high horse. No pun intended. What you and others asking is that I provide you a service that has a very strong potential for me to stop my flow of income. And you're doing this with an expectation that I'm supposed to do it.  If you use a service such as Uber, you should understand the situation the driver is in. Knock that damn chip off your shoulder and come to understand that I don't have a problem w/ you... I have a problem with you expecting me to lose income w/ your request. Once you understand this you'll be in a better position to help me to help you. It isn't just about your need for a service animal as it is a friggin' blanket. It's about you getting from point A to point B and using a service to get there. I try like hell to understand your needs, the least you can do try to understand the service provider's situation too.  

 

I suppose you are using the "royal you" in your post, because I do not have a service animal.

 

However, as noted previously, a person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. 

 

Furthermore, people with disabilities who use service animals cannot be isolated from other patrons, treated less favorably than other patrons, or charged fees that are not charged to other patrons without animals.

 

This is the law.  Don't like it?  Then don't operate a public accommodation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

 

I suppose you are using the "royal you" in your post, because I do not have a service animal.

 

However, as noted previously, a person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. 

 

Furthermore, people with disabilities who use service animals cannot be isolated from other patrons, treated less favorably than other patrons, or charged fees that are not charged to other patrons without animals.

 

This is the law.  Don't like it?  Then don't operate a public accommodation.

You know, your comments are becoming rather irritating. Enough is enough. The person you are quoting would agree. This is simply a forum of discussion, not a snarkastic vent for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

 

I suppose you are using the "royal you" in your post, because I do not have a service animal.

 

However, as noted previously, a person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. 

 

Furthermore, people with disabilities who use service animals cannot be isolated from other patrons, treated less favorably than other patrons, or charged fees that are not charged to other patrons without animals.

 

This is the law.  Don't like it?  Then don't operate a public accommodation.

 

Thank you.

As the public accommodator ...

I also get to say what's out of control and whether a animal is house broken. Which takes me back to my first post on this subject. Kennel, Crate, or Leash, and Blanket. 

 

Mic drop. 

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The problem is that there is NO WAY to distinguish one from the other.  A person has only to say, “this is my service animal” and case closed. 

Airlines and cruise lines are allowed to ask what task the animal performs, so the case is not closed. Costa, for example, only allows guide dogs for the blind. P&O doesn’t allow for any reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

Thank you.

As the public accommodator ...

I also get to say what's out of control and whether a animal is broken. Which takes me back to my first post on this subject. Kennel, Crate, or Leash, and Blanket. 

 

Mike drop. 

Spot ON, brother. These armchair "lawyers" in here tend to get a bit out of hand. You're an honest business owner and I would welcome your services anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sherri914 said:

 

I kind of assumed that was the case.  Just not sure I agree with it.  I guess if it's a legit service animal that would be one thing, but so many I see in stores, restaurants, etc now don't appear to be any more than a beloved house pet.     

 

@Sherri914

 

I once boarded a plane and someone with a dog in a carrier plopped down next to me. Everyone else thought it was adorable - she took it out of the carrier, of course, and was letting everyone pet it.

 

I hit my signal button and asked the flight attendant for some water.  She told me that I would have to wait until  after we took off and started the beverage service.  I told her that I needed to take an allergy pill before I stopped breathing.  Didn't faze the dog owner.  The attendant brought me the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

Thank you.

As the public accommodator ...

I also get to say what's out of control and whether a animal is house broken. Which takes me back to my first post on this subject. Kennel, Crate, or Leash, and Blanket. 

 

Mike drop. 

 

You actually do not get to say that.  "Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls."

 

Nothing about crates or blankets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Spot ON, brother. These armchair "lawyers" in here tend to get a bit out of hand. You're an honest business owner and I would welcome your services anytime.


I am literally an attorney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Spot ON, brother. These armchair "lawyers" in here tend to get a bit out of hand. You're an honest business owner and I would welcome your services anytime.

 

Well if you ever cruise out of Galveston and fly into IAH, I do runs to the cruise port often. PM me. I'll get you there even w/ a service dog if you help me protect the interior. 😎

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the allure on the 15th. There was a couple with a cute little dog, never used a leash. One day while I was walking through the promenade he had the dog doing tricks for the audience, apparently all the people watching had never seen a dog sit, rollover and speak. This really did not seem like a service dog to me. Usually working dogs, are not permitted to be touched or petted, unless you ask permission. Not this one it ran all over getting attention from everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don'tNeedAName said:


I am literally an attorney.

 

Based on this thread, I think a bad one.

While in my car, there is nothing a service animal can/can't do while in a kennel, crate, or leash. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Don'tNeedAName said:

This is the law.  Don't like it?  Then don't operate a public accommodation.

 

A hotel, a Restaurant and in this case a cruise hsip is a private business and if your business is at a reputational risk to loose business because the majority would feel disturbed by having animals you obviously will set rules. Just the way you have adult only hotels etc the cruise line can forbid any kind of animal.

 

At the end it's a comercial decision and when it seems feasible I am sure we will see cruiselines in the future to cater specifically to a crowd requiring service animals if the demand is there by offering dedicated ships with the needed facilities etc. It's all about business and even if it is discriminating to others, the business owner at first needs to use the strategy which brings him the most success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

 

Based on this thread, I think a bad one.

While in my car, there is nothing a service animal can/can't do while in a kennel, crate, or leash. 

 

 

Pretty low effort, but feel free to think what you wish.  Once again, you do not get to set the rules; the ADA has already done so.  You'll continue to do whatever you want, but your posts here certainly indicate that you're opening yourself up to risk.  I should note, however, that nothing in this post constitutes legal advice!

 

13 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

 

A hotel, a Restaurant and in this case a cruise hsip is a private business and if your business is at a reputational risk to loose business because the majority would feel disturbed by having animals you obviously will set rules. Just the way you have adult only hotels etc the cruise line can forbid any kind of animal.

 

At the end it's a comercial decision and when it seems feasible I am sure we will see cruiselines in the future to cater specifically to a crowd requiring service animals if the demand is there by offering dedicated ships with the needed facilities etc. It's all about business and even if it is discriminating to others, the business owner at first needs to use the strategy which brings him the most success.

 

Private ownership has nothing to do with being a public accommodation.  Cruise lines absolutely may not "forbid any kind of animal" if that animal meets the definition of a service animal under the ADA.  Cruise ships operating in US waters must comply with the ADA.  For an example, you may take a look at the DOJ's settlement with Carnival on the matter: https://www.ada.gov/carnival/carnival_sa.html  (specifically, take a look at item 19.A.1.0.).

Edited by Don'tNeedAName

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...