Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

Probably in a slightly different location as to not upset the pilots and the air draft problem caused by the winds hitting the ships side on. Hopefully it gets built in a place that pleases everyone. Newcastle is upset that they are not getting theirs. Perhaps the Federal Government should have unilaterally terminated the leas of all ports around Australia to the Chinese in retaliation for their hacking into government computer systems.

53 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Probably in a slightly different location as to not upset the pilots and the air draft problem caused by the winds hitting the ships side on. Hopefully it gets built in a place that pleases everyone. Newcastle is upset that they are not getting theirs. Perhaps the Federal Government should have unilaterally terminated the leas of all ports around Australia to the Chinese in retaliation for their hacking into government computer systems.

Brisbane 41 we haven’t had a rant from you for a while.

Was it you I saw in Hong Kong leading the protests?

Thanks for the heads-up Chiliburn and the link Mic.

Agree with Mic.  This does not get me overly excited that we are any closer to a real solution.  I still think there must be other, out-of-the-box options than Port Botany.

39 minutes ago, banzaii said:

I still think there must be other, out-of-the-box options than Port Botany.

If the Federal government would only co-operate, HMAS Penguin has 14 hectares of land on Middle Head.

A cruise terminal would surely only need one hectare and access to the shore.

Unlike Garden Island the naval facilities that are still there could easily be moved to HMAS Creswell at Jervis Bay or some other naval base.

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

If the Federal government would only co-operate, HMAS Penguin has 14 hectares of land on Middle Head.

Unlike Garden Island the naval facilities that are still there could easily be moved to HMAS Creswell at Jervis Bay or some other naval base.

Very true. But I daresay:

- there would be more opposition from locals there - and it's blue ribbon territory so don't want to upset them

- transport and location are worse than Botany Bay so it's less appealing from that perspective

I think the proposed area would be workable.

If they extend the foreshore road to the container terminal and a shuttle service from Mascot train station and the airport would give a good service.

The airport has hotels for a night before.

Ships could alternate between circular quay and botany.so depart from botany and return from circular quay. That would give people the wow factor.

Or even a sail through but I don’t think that would happen due to congestion.

Sydney needs another wharf and terminal because it’s not getting any smaller.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The NIMBY's will always complain no matter what.

I am more concerned about the pilots wind problems 😱  and those damn Chinese hackers .🤔This could  potentially destroy the cruise industry?????????  As Pauline Hanson said....  Please explain

Edited by gbenjo

13 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I have always had that opinion that ex HMAS Platypus where the Oberon's were based would be ideal for an additional cruise terminal. Penguin may be problematic for such a use due to the facilities and operations that still go on there.

15 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Brisbane 41 we haven’t had a rant from you for a while.

Was it you I saw in Hong Kong leading the protests?

Newcastle Port has a lease to Chinese part owners. Issue with the construction of the cruise terminal is the cost associated with it being asked for by the port.

Solution is simple. Terminate the lease, take over the port and the government can then control the costs. Given the Chinese communist parties cyber attacks and attitude towards Australia it would not be an unreasonable response to terminate all leases the Chinese hold on Australian ports as retaliation which would give us more control on what we can do with our ports. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I am more concerned about the pilots wind problems 😱  and those damn Chinese hackers .🤔This could  potentially destroy the cruise industry?????????  As Pauline Hanson said....  Please explain

When we all have Huawei phones we won’t have to worry about Chinese hackers .

When you talk on your Huawei phone graham there would be a big red light flashing and a buzzer going off in the Beijing communist party offices.

A PERSON OF INTEREST 

Edited by Chiliburn

27 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

Newcastle Port has a lease to Chinese part owners. Issue with the construction of the cruise terminal is the cost associated with it being asked for by the port.

Solution is simple. Terminate the lease, take over the port and the government can then control the costs. Given the Chinese communist parties cyber attacks and attitude towards Australia it would not be an unreasonable response to terminate all leases the Chinese hold on Australian ports as retaliation which would give us more control on what we can do with our ports. 

Brisbane 41

looks like the Solomon Islands have buckled.

Solomon Islands no longer recognise Taiwan as a independent country.

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

I have always had that opinion that ex HMAS Platypus where the Oberon's were based would be ideal for an additional cruise terminal. Penguin may be problematic for such a use due to the facilities and operations that still go on there.

It was announced recently that HMAS Platypus is to be redeveloped as a public area with cafes walkways park etc so you missed the boat with that one. It would never have worked as a terminal as vehicular access is far to restricted and congested.

Edited by gbenjo

41 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

It was announced recently that HMAS Platypus is to be redeveloped as a public area with cafes walkways park etc so you missed the boat with that one. It would never have worked as a terminal as vehicular access is far to restricted and congested.

If the government was desperate for a solution it could have worked. Compulsory acquisition orders to take the property needed to make it work would be the way to go. When you factor in how many ships visit Sydney and what berths are available on the east side of the bridge it is not all that unreasonable to demand the property of residents to make such a thing work. There is really only one road there that comes directly off the harbour bridge. Widening that by taking a few properties would have been the way to go. It all comes down to what the government thinks is the best solution to the number of cruise ships coming and how to accommodate them and balance up if the income from them is worth it.

• Like 1

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/crazy-proposal-nsw-government-pushes-ahead-with-plans-for-third-sydney-cruise-ship-hub-20190917-p52s6n.html

Local politicians and council's are already coming out as opposing the Botany Bay option. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as Sydney needs another cruise terminal.

9 minutes ago, Emoliash said:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/crazy-proposal-nsw-government-pushes-ahead-with-plans-for-third-sydney-cruise-ship-hub-20190917-p52s6n.html

Local politicians and council's are already coming out as opposing the Botany Bay option. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as Sydney needs another cruise terminal.

Interesting.

There’s the money it injects into Sydney also the pacific islands economy.

I was listening to a bit about the conflict Islands how because of visiting cruise ships they have been encouraged to preserve their reefs.Other wise they would plunder the reef.

50 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

If the government was desperate for a solution it could have worked. Compulsory acquisition orders to take the property needed to make it work would be the way to go. When you factor in how many ships visit Sydney and what berths are available on the east side of the bridge it is not all that unreasonable to demand the property of residents to make such a thing work. There is really only one road there that comes directly off the harbour bridge. Widening that by taking a few properties would have been the way to go. It all comes down to what the government thinks is the best solution to the number of cruise ships coming and how to accommodate them and balance up if the income from them is worth it.

You are joking aren't you??    Whats next ..convert  the Opera House into a cruise terminal.