Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Apparently Garden Island is owned by the state and is leased to the navy.

I bet my bottom Onboard Credit that if it was owned by the federal government it would be sold and the money would be put into the future fund in 2 seconds flat.

Actually I'm surprised the state hasn't already done that! I'm sure the Sydney developers would love to get their sticky paws on that piece of land.

good on matt .. the idea is stupid way to close to gas storage , cemetery  in front , cranes,  container ships,  and destroying a whole beach is stupid , there is also pipelines under that spot, not to mention at mollineaux point has 4 massive underground gas storage caverns 250 long being close to the proposed port could rupture them  and that would be a disaster …   lets see if royal carribean are still willing to add to the destruction of such a awesome beach and bay...  and on another note botany bay would be more of a target than Sydney with all the gas storage caverns and oil wharf ….. there is too much at risk with this idea and should be stopped...  as I mention I will not go on any royal carribean cruise again nor will I let my wife go ...

3 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

good on matt .. the idea is stupid way to close to gas storage , cemetery  in front , cranes,  container ships,  and destroying a whole beach is stupid , there is also pipelines under that spot, not to mention at mollineaux point has 4 massive underground gas storage caverns 250 long being close to the proposed port could rupture them  and that would be a disaster …   lets see if royal carribean are still willing to add to the destruction of such a awesome beach and bay...  and on another note botany bay would be more of a target than Sydney with all the gas storage caverns and oil wharf ….. there is too much at risk with this idea and should be stopped...  as I mention I will not go on any royal carribean cruise again nor will I let my wife go ...

Rod just think of all the false advertising and upsells you and your family will miss out on by not dealing with RC.

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Imagine how many cruise ships could berth in Newcastle once the coal loaders have closed down. 

Runs for cover of flame proof blanket 😲

True, but they still have the 240Mtr length limit for turning.

11 hours ago, in rod we trust said:
as I mention I will not go on any royal carribean cruise again nor will I let my wife go ...

Wow, you’ll not let your your wife go? What an astounding statement to make at the end of the 2nd decade of the 21st century. Doesn’t she have a say?

I actually thought your post made some sense until the last sentence. That lost me completely!

Leigh

Edited by possum52

55 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

True, but they still have the 240Mtr length limit for turning.

Hmmm. Never realised it was so narrow. Still, maybe it could be widened (I think the land is still vacant on opposite side) or build winding holes like they have on canals.

34 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Hmmm. Never realised it was so narrow. Still, maybe it could be widened (I think the land is still vacant on opposite side) or build winding holes like they have on canals.

That was the reason the funding for Newcastle was withdrawn, they wanted to carve 25Mtrs out of a certain area to enable bigger ships to turn, but the powers that be refused the idea and withdrew funding.

12 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

as I mention I will not go on any royal carribean cruise again nor will I let my wife go ...

says it all! So, not just a NIMBY eh. I am really starting to wish that the Yarra Bay proposal goes ahead now 🙂

as I mentioned she goes on more cruises than what I go im the one at home looking after the pets its like 2 to 1  .. she goes of with her mum and good friends , but even she backs me and wont go on any roryal carribean ship...  and don't give a rats but no way would I let her go on any royal carribean .. even her friends have also said no to royal carribean ships..  her and her friends go every yr and  I go every 2 yrs ..  

13 hours ago, mr walker said:

says it all! So, not just a NIMBY eh. I am really starting to wish that the Yarra Bay proposal goes ahead now 🙂…...

13 hours ago, mr walker said:

yeah whats wrong with that she is my wife and I don't even have to say no to royal carribean  she wont go .. backs the bay over the royal carribean any day.. and no im no nimby I don't live anywhere near it im closer to Sydney harbor ten min away and botany is 35 min away .. but I believe in saving a great place for the future not rip it up and put a whole bay at risk for what royal carribean ships..  save your country not let these companies destroy it for there back pocket ..  im sorry but we will be looked and remembered for not doing nothing , letting our gov sell and destroy everything,  so whats so wrong with trying to save a piece of it …  im sure people here would agree Ningaloo reef if you been there is one of the most amazing place on earth   now they are trying to run pipelines thru a world heritage place  subsea 7  .. you know if we don't start saving our country then what does that say about us .. isn't it time we change .. 

Edited by in rod we trust

15 hours ago, possum52 said:

Wow, you’ll not let your your wife go? What an astounding statement to make at the end of the 2nd decade of the 21st century. Doesn’t she have a say?

I actually thought your post made some sense until the last sentence. That lost me completely!

Leigh

well if im paying for it then you bet I will not let her go on any royal carribean ship.. there are other ships she will be just as happy to go on ..  at the moment she is pushing for the kiss cruise with her friends .. that's one cruise that eludes her  its a pull out of the hat ticket as many people want to go on it..  I hope she gets it  … never looked into who operates that ship but if she got a ticket I might say no but I know I cant stop her and her dream cruise..  

8 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

For the record how you posted you make it look like it was me who said what you actually wrote. I just point that out for other posters on here for clarity.

OK, clearly I have mistakenly engaged with someone I have no interest in communicating with, as you clearly only joined this forum to spread your views & not to discuss cruising etc. I trust you get the help you need & that it soon clicks over to 1960 in your life. I have added you to my ignore list here on cc so I will no longer see your posts.

Back to solving the terminal shortage problems for Sydney for the rest of us 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

as I mentioned she goes on more cruises than what I go im the one at home looking after the pets its like 2 to 1  .. she goes of with her mum and good friends , but even she backs me and wont go on any roryal carribean ship...  and don't give a rats but no way would I let her go on any royal carribean .. even her friends have also said no to royal carribean ships..  her and her friends go every yr and  I go every 2 yrs ..  

I am curious as to the reasons for  your extreme "dislike " of Royal Caribbean (its spelt royal caribbean..not roryal carribean  by the way) and to what documented evidence you also base your (unfounded) claim that it is Royal  alone pushing for the terminal at what, you say, will be the  Port Botany "Desert".  The proposal and construction is one belonging to the Port Authority and, yes, they would probably  have lobbied support , be that financial or other, from  ALL the cruise lines  not just Royal as the cruise industry in general would benefit from its  construction. Royal is already well represented with three ships home ported here plus the Celebrity brand with calls also from Azamara and if there was an intention  by them  to base vessels here all year round there would already be sufficient berth availability at the OPT over  the winter months.

I am sure Royal are shaking in their boots about the threat you and your friend(s) are making to not sail with them  ever again but just make sure when you book your cruises  in the future those other lines you  book with are not mooring at the  Port Botany Desert terminal  otherwise you may not be going on many more cruises. 

By the way, the Kiss cruise that your wife wants to go on is with Norwegian, the line that makes all its passengers throw out all water or beverages they may be carrying so they can sell more on board.  ( I believe P&O also do this) I thought there was a drought on, what a waste of water for a little more profit by them. Is that another one off the list?

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

For the record how you posted you make it look like it was me who said what you actually wrote. I just point that out for other posters on here for clarity.

OK, clearly I have mistakenly engaged with someone I have no interest in communicating with, as you clearly only joined this forum to spread your views & not to discuss cruising etc. I trust you get the help you need & that it soon clicks over to 1960 in your life. I have added you to my ignore list here on cc so I will no longer see your posts.

Back to solving the terminal shortage problems for Sydney for the rest of us 😉

Don't put Rod on your ignore list.....everyone needs a little humour in their life.

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, in rod we trust said:

Good to see a Nimby who still lives in the 18th century... I would agree with him but my wife would clip me around the ears and that hurts !!!!

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

I am curious as to the reasons for  your extreme "dislike " of Royal Caribbean (its spelt royal caribbean..not roryal carribean  by the way) and to what documented evidence you also base your (unfounded) claim that it is Royal  alone pushing for the terminal at what, you say, will be the  Port Botany "Desert". 

Having come across similar posts from others on other sites and facebook that say similar things, I get the impression they're community NIMBYists that just parrot the same lines and aren't interested in rational discussion or logic. They disregard many facts, and make their own up, then have others parrot them, all to achieve their desired outcome. Reminds me of a similar approach with natural gas protestors a few years back.

In that, the NSW government broke their own laws, and went against the Chief Scientist, and caved in. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few of the same agitators here trying to get the same outcome.

40 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

I think they might be contributing to the one in Brisbane as well.

Carnival advanced purchased 100 slots at the BICT. This allowed the Qld government to fund it as a commercial enterprise.

There is a simple solution. Almost no cruiser likes White Bay. All Navy ships can fit under the Harbour Bridge.

Swap Garden Island for White Bay.

It's all moot anyway as the Feds are spending $250 on an upgrade of facilities at Garden Island right now. The Navy is not moving.

the only cruise line pushing for it is royal carribean to fit there mega ships in there ..

if I want to stand up for a bay that has historic values and a place for people to relax and unwind whats so bad about that.... we see parts of our country get sold of to communist  we see so many of what we own sold off now what future are you leaving ya kids and grand kids...  I don't really care ill fight to save it .. ill boycott royal carribean ,  today there was a pod of dolphins messing around with paddle boarders,  now really do you think its worth spreading those dangerous toxin   around botany Cronulla beach just for a cruise ship terminal..  really is it worth it...  call me nimby call me what ya like not worried , but when one day it comes and affects you or ya family maybe then ya might see why we need to protect what little we have left...    ill still go on a cruise but since its my money I can pick where and who ill spend that money with..  who knows maybe I might fly and enjoy more time at the country I visit .. 

There's probably not even any point correcting the above since certain people show no sign of having an open mind. However, the execs of all 3 major cruise lines operating here (RCL, Carnival, NCL) have all shown support for either Botany Bay option as the best way forward for a new cruise terminal. RCL is only the most affected, but by no means the only one supporting this option.

Which is really just acknowledging the reality of the situation, since there is no better available alternative. The Finger Wharf at Wooloomooloo is the only better option, but it isn't available without a multi billion investment.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:12 PM, The_Big_M said:

Having come across similar posts from others on other sites and facebook that say similar things, I get the impression they're community NIMBYists that just parrot the same lines and aren't interested in rational discussion or logic. They disregard many facts, and make their own up, then have others parrot them, all to achieve their desired outcome. Reminds me of a similar approach with natural gas protestors a few years back.

In that, the NSW government broke their own laws, and went against the Chief Scientist, and caved in. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few of the same agitators here trying to get the same outcome.

can you please explain what rational discussion or logic  is in destroying a whole bay and eco system  just for a cruise ship terminal … what facts have people disregard .  also what have they made up on this proposal,  you mention few might be agitators..  

but look at the real facts …  there are so many negative points and some dangerous ones  that a cruise terminal shouldn't be even considered .. there are plenty other deep water ports up and running to house these 330 mtr ships  don't have to be all in Sydney .. not sure where you live but Sydney is at grid lock ..

you may call me and others nimbyists..   some people care about there country, they don't want to see it sold off for a few bucks.  if people don't stand up for what is right what future is there for your kids and grandkids ..  look back in history and see the few who stood up to give everybody a better life  are they nimbyists ..  I was like many people  if it don't bother me or not in my back yard who cares . until one day a yr ago with fishing lockouts my nephews while out fishing said if all this goes of limits where are we going to fish when we are old enough to buy a boat , what happens to us uncle ??  that bothered me badly  so I took them to a rally against the fishing lockouts and we won.. the smiles they have while fishing is priceless  ..  so call me what ya like but I will stand up and fight for there future and boycott royal carribean who are the ones pushing for it and even offering cash to build it..   

Edited by in rod we trust

1 hour ago, in rod we trust said:

can you please explain what rational discussion or logic  is in destroying a whole bay and eco system  just for a cruise ship terminal … what facts have people disregard .  also what have they made up on this proposal,  you mention few might be agitators..  

but look at the real facts …  there are so many negative points and some dangerous ones  that a cruise terminal shouldn't be even considered .. there are plenty other deep water ports up and running to house these 330 mtr ships  don't have to be all in Sydney .. not sure where you live but Sydney is at grid lock ..

you may call me and others nimbyists..   some people care about there country, they don't want to see it sold off for a few bucks.  if people don't stand up for what is right what future is there for your kids and grandkids ..  look back in history and see the few who stood up to give everybody a better life  are they nimbyists ..  I was like many people  if it don't bother me or not in my back yard who cares . until one day a yr ago with fishing lockouts my nephews while out fishing said if all this goes of limits where are we going to fish when we are old enough to buy a boat , what happens to us uncle ??  that bothered me badly  so I took them to a rally against the fishing lockouts and we won.. the smiles they have while fishing is priceless  ..  so call me what ya like but I will stand up and fight for there future and boycott royal carribean who are the ones pushing for it and even offering cash to build it..   

There is already an airport and container port on Botany Bay already. A cruise terminal wont make one bit of difference. It is a great idea in my opinion and I would love to see it happen. Sydney desperately needs it. With all international flights going into Sydney opposed to Wollongong or Newcastle and the lack of a super fast rail network to either of those port cities, it makes more sense for Sydney to have it.

I am sure there would be plenty of people living in the area that would love to have it. Generally with protests you only get like 0.01% of the local population turning up and even then the protesters are not local. I would bet that there are a lot of people living around Botany Bay that go on cruises and would love to have the terminal near them.

• Like 1