Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

😆 Titled Opinion. From the "convenor of Save the Bay Coalition". So potential bias as well.

So, in two different cities. Just like them building a second airport for Sydney when expansion was needed - instead of redirecting all flights to Wollongong or Newcastle - why should all cruise passengers be redirected there?

You complain about the environmental cost, but the environmental cost of redirecting all those international (and domestic) passengers up/down to Newcastle/Wollongong before/after each cruise would be at least as bad. That's 10000 seats (excluding Sydneysiders) a day just for one single cruise on Ovation!

This is the issue with NIMBYists. They dress up their arguments with whatever they can find, including environmental, but don't actually look at the logic and practicality of the solution. Just like your fellow supporter who said an undeveloped national park was a better choice for a cruise terminal than the industrial, established ship heavy port of Botany (cause the environment) you suggest alternatives that have far more environmental and financial cost - all just to get it out of your backyard.

so your logic is destroy a whole bay for a cruise ship terminal cause its practical for cruise passengers to board ships.. that's some fine logic there …  wonder what part of Sydney you live in .. maybe we can put it there or is that being a nimbyists .. 

here is another reason for you to read why it shouldn't be there ..hang on it might be another nimbyists tactic .. but here have a read 

https://saveyarrabay.com/2019/05/12/wind-poses-grounding-risk-for-cruise-ships-in-yarra-bay/

that's what yarra bay looks like in summer  and they want to take that away  what a joke.. so you would rather this gone for a cruise ship terminal instead …   how about trying to save your own country first ..  but that's ok I can cruise to other parts of the world to visit there beaches instead .. isn't it time we save whats ours first... yarra_hot_day_1_13_01_2019_crop_800.jpg?

seal_molineaux_2_crop_3.jpg?w=614

yarra_hot_day_4_13_01_2019_1000.jpg?w=66

Sunset from Yarra Bay

Edited by in rod we trust

Perhaps it would be better if cruise ships weren't built so big in the first place, then you wouldn't need special dedicated ports for them. Around the world it might create less conflict with local communities who seem to specifically object to these mega structures.

4 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

sorry but if there was a 20 storey building next to you they would not pay big bucks they will give ya stuff all , and tell you who are you going to sell it to and who wants to live in a house next to a 20 storey building ..  so they will offer you stuff all probably even lower than market value to get your house for peanuts..   seen it done many times , people hold out thinking there house is worth more than what they offer , but in the end they loose more cause nobody wants to live next to a high rise .. 

Cannot agree, I think anyone trying to build a 20 story place next to me, would also offer to have my place so they can have a bigger base and many more units.

2 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

so your logic is destroy a whole bay for a cruise ship terminal cause its practical for cruise passengers to board ships.. that's some fine logic there …  wonder what part of Sydney you live in .. maybe we can put it there or is that being a nimbyists .. 

here is another reason for you to read why it shouldn't be there ..hang on it might be another nimbyists tactic .. but here have a read 

https://saveyarrabay.com/2019/05/12/wind-poses-grounding-risk-for-cruise-ships-in-yarra-bay/

I realise there's not much point posting as you don't bother reading, again evidenced the above response, which is why I took a break before.

Again, the detailed study has not been done, nor a design drawn up, so nobody knows what the impact will be.

You cannot claim " a whole bay will be destroyed" as you just don't know. Nobody does. There's not even a firm location yet - there are two choices on the list. It's just creating more alarmist, oppositionist claims without any basis.

But I'm sure I'll get another response stating the sky is falling so this cannot go ahead...

2 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

a pod of killer whales of botany headlands ..   so dredging at botany bay will stuff all this up and destroy it for what a cruise ship terminal  ..  A pod of 50 killer whales spotted off Botany Bay in Sydney, which is a rare sight. Picture: 9NEWS

dolpins in botany bay 

Wait. They are there now - in spite of all the container ships and activity that comes through, and dredging done for them and the airport????

That wasn't meant to happen... How could this be???

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Wait. They are there now - in spite of all the container ships and activity that comes through, and dredging done for them and the airport????

That wasn't meant to happen... How could this be???

that's right they are there now after a massive gap from 2006 desal to port botany extension - they were nowhere to be seen ,  and they only go in around yarra bay as that where I always see them  they only just started coming back  ..  if the cruise ship terminal goes ahead they will be gone for good  the break wall the crap from the ships etc will destroy what little spot they visit..   do you know how many thousands of birds use to be along foreshore rd , now gone and even some extinct they use to visit and feed on the way to nz .. you know how many are there now maybe a couple ..  so while you say its good for convenience  for anyone boarding a ship , just remember what is being destroyed for your convenience ,....  a lot of countries around the world now are banning big cruise line ships , many have been fined for pollution and dumping waste overboard or thru dummy pipes .. so much for being green or healthy on the oceans they travel

Rod what if Royal Caribbean give you a discount on cruises in return for turning your corner of paradise into a industrial wasteland .

Rock climbing,wave surfer,skydiving simulator,bumper cars and unlimited drinks.

It’s the American way.

Edited by Chiliburn

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Rod what if Royal Caribbean give you a discount on cruises in return for turning your corner of paradise into a industrial wasteland .

Rock climbing,wave surfer,skydiving simulator,bumper cars and unlimited drinks.

It’s the American way.

I don't live anywhere near yarra bay I live near silverwater area im closer to Sydney harbor 10 min than botany bay...  id tell royal they can shove it up there royal you know what..

11 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

I don't live anywhere near yarra bay I live near silverwater area im closer to Sydney harbor 10 min than botany bay...  id tell royal they can shove it up there royal you know what..

Well if you live near silverwater what’s your connection to Yarra bay?

This may be a stupid suggestion or already ruled out but what about redeveloping/upgrading the Foreshore Road Boat Ramp into a cruise terminal? It would obviously need to be built out and dredged considerably but the land is there to develop a terminal with a carpack and direct highway access. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 10.06.35 pm.png

3 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

do you know how many thousands of birds use to be along foreshore rd , now gone and even some extinct they use to visit and feed on the way to nz .. you know how many are there now maybe a couple ..  so while you say its good for convenience  for anyone boarding a ship , just remember what is being destroyed for your convenience ,....  a lot of countries around the world now are banning big cruise line ships , many have been fined for pollution and dumping waste overboard or thru dummy pipes .. so much for being green or healthy on the oceans they travel

Do you know how many thousands of birds used to be inland, but have also disappeared?

And other animals?

Unforutnatley it's an ecological issue everywhere. There's habitat loss in many ways. This cruise terminal is not and won't be the cause.

As for the last it now seems you're anti all cruise ships. Which is certainly your choice, but gives more flavour to your opoosition.

9 hours ago, CroNich said:

This may be a stupid suggestion or already ruled out but what about redeveloping/upgrading the Foreshore Road Boat Ramp into a cruise terminal? It would obviously need to be built out and dredged considerably but the land is there to develop a terminal with a carpack and direct highway access. 

Not enough room for the big ships, I still favour Molineaux Point.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Well if you live near silverwater what’s your connection to Yarra bay?

my connection is fishing im a angler have been fishing that bay and sydn harbor  port hacking jervis bay, Newcastle  Brooklyn ,Hawkesbury , etc etc  etc etc.. that's my conection I also have dived yarra bay fished it many times with the old man , cousins nieces , nephews , kids , etc etc plus we all like to swim there as well.  but none of that matters I don't want to see it kill all the marine life , seals, dolphins, swimmers, divers , aboriginal people still use it , as in the pics above thousand go there to enjoy it.. we don't need royal carribean to come in and destroy it for a quick few bucks in there pockets .. 

its time no matter who we are where we live to put a stop to destroying Australia for political donations and quick buck.. its about time we the people of this beautiful country say no more destruction to our country, its time to stand up and be counted not sit back and see the best things gone to greed and just for big M convenience as he call it..

13 hours ago, CroNich said:

too close to the airport runway pilots don't want them big ships anywhere near runway due to wind turbulence  , it is a potential risk to planes landing and taking of as stated by pilots union.. another reason not to have it in yarra bay .. 

8 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

my connection is fishing im a angler have been fishing that bay and sydn harbor  port hacking jervis bay, Newcastle  Brooklyn ,Hawkesbury , etc etc  etc etc.. that's my conection I also have dived yarra bay fished it many times with the old man , cousins nieces , nephews , kids , etc etc plus we all like to swim there as well.  but none of that matters I don't want to see it kill all the marine life , seals, dolphins, swimmers, divers , aboriginal people still use it , as in the pics above thousand go there to enjoy it.. we don't need royal carribean to come in and destroy it for a quick few bucks in there pockets .. 

its time no matter who we are where we live to put a stop to destroying Australia for political donations and quick buck.. its about time we the people of this beautiful country say no more destruction to our country, its time to stand up and be counted not sit back and see the best things gone to greed and just for big M convenience as he call it..

Oh rod ,you’re the best .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Do you know how many thousands of birds used to be inland, but have also disappeared?

And other animals?

Unforutnatley it's an ecological issue everywhere. There's habitat loss in many ways. This cruise terminal is not and won't be the cause.

As for the last it now seems you're anti all cruise ships. Which is certainly your choice, but gives more flavour to your opoosition.

oh so its ok for you to say cruise ship terminal is not and wont be the cause  so we seen it with desal , port expansion , the old power plant, numerous birds that lined foreshore rd have gone or been extinct , but yet your so sure the dredging of yarra bay wont affect anything..  yep cheers, have you been offered the free cruise .. yep cheers thanks .. have you ever been to botany bay I know I see your in Sydney but I doubt you have been there .. but yep thanks.. 

and no im not anti cruise but from now on I will be only using the ships that I see are doing the right thing,  I know and you know that most ships are toxic rsl clubs on water .. but there are a few who do the right thing , who wouldn't push to destroy a whole eco system just to line there pockets ..  I wont  and many of us wont travel on royal carribean ships..  1 that I realy like to go and will be on my next list will be Disney ships I just love there horns , 

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Ok, now you've switched from making up claims that aren't true about the port authority to making up things I didn't say.

Well, I guess there's some consistency...

yeah ok …  didn't you post this comment …

Unforutnatley it's an ecological issue everywhere. There's habitat loss in many ways. This cruise terminal is not and won't be the cause

so what your saying is if the cruise ship terminal gets built and break wall etc , the dredging kills coral , marine life ,  dolphins , and seals no longer come in makes the whole botany bay un useable due to pfas , and other deadly cancer causing toxins from seabed spoil, that wont have anything to do with the cruise terminal being built...  its that kind of thinking that has destroy many places around the world and loss of habitats , extinction  etc..  lets just put this here, dig over there build here ,don't worry about the environment and the people stuff em  its there prob now ...  that's a great way to think..  isn't that the whole idea of cruising visit awesome places around the globe , whats going to be left to see if we keep destroying places for greed.. 

as for port authority ,they have done there business case and are just so full of it ,  why cant they release what they have , what are they hiding , its not national defence its a cruise port  .. so what are they hiding , they have even stated at the meeting that it wont be released to the general public .. there info sham session that I went to was half manned by day hire people  from a pr company the other half couldn't even answer any question's ...

have a good listen and look to this video .. its obvious that they informed cruise passenger forum before any of the other stakeholders...  she knew more than anybody did  so somebody port authority is happy to let them know but no locals or other stakeholders who have no connection to cruise ships ..  listen as she mentions  cruise industry says they will loose billions ,  all about there greed ,  royal carribean doesn't give a rats on what it destroys to get there profits …  its time people stand up and save what little we have left .. don't sell   or destroy your country out to greedy investors who will destroy anything for profits..   you can even see the fish break the water in that vid could even be a seal ..  I don't know if you work for port authority , cruise industry or liberal party..  but its abovious your just after convenience  rather than save ya countries natural places before there gone for good.. 

7 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

yeah ok …  didn't you post this comment …

Unforutnatley it's an ecological issue everywhere. There's habitat loss in many ways. This cruise terminal is not and won't be the cause

Yes. Though that doesn't relate or justify what you made up.

so what your saying is if the cruise ship terminal gets built and break wall etc , the dredging kills coral , marine life ,  dolphins , and seals no longer come in makes the whole botany bay un useable due to pfas , and other deadly cancer causing toxins from seabed spoil, that wont have anything to do with the cruise terminal being built... 

Um no. You've made your own conclusion about all the damage the terminal WILL do. And then trying to justify I've said that.

I'm saying let's wait for the actual studies and analysis to be done, and see what the findings are. And yes, if they were to conclude it would be harmful then I'd have concerns. But we're nowhere near that yet. So it's presumptuous to make claims about what will happen when as repeatedly said, that's unknown.

I'm not defending it. I'm saying wait for the actual analysis instead of putting the cart before the horse.

as for port authority ,they have done there business case and are just so full of it ,  why cant they release what they have , what are they hiding , its not national defence its a cruise port  .. so what are they hiding , they have even stated at the meeting that it wont be released to the general public .. there info sham session that I went to was half manned by day hire people  from a pr company the other half couldn't even answer any question's ...

This has already been answered. How conveniently for you to forget. 

It's just the high level study to go ahead with funding for the DETAILED study which is STILL IN PROGRESS. 

There's nothing to hide. There's nothing more to it than that.

Again, making a song and dance over nothing.

have a good listen and look to this video .. its obvious that they informed cruise passenger forum before any of the other stakeholders...  she knew more than anybody did  so somebody port authority is happy to let them know but no locals or other stakeholders who have no connection to cruise ships ..  listen as she mentions  cruise industry says they will loose billions ,  all about there greed ,  royal carribean doesn't give a rats on what it destroys to get there profits …  its time people stand up and save what little we have left .. don't sell   or destroy your country out to greedy investors who will destroy anything for profits..   you can even see the fish break the water in that vid could even be a seal ..  I don't know if you work for port authority , cruise industry or liberal party..  but its abovious your just after convenience  rather than save ya countries natural places before there gone for good.. 

Huh. She knows the basic facts which journalists are meant to report on. She's just describing the two different options, which anybody who's involved should know. One moment you're complaining you know everything and how it's going to be a disaster (you don't), next you're complaining everything is hidden from you (it's not), and the next you're complaining that journalist know stuff you don't (that's your issue, not theirs).

• Like 1