Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

On 12/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, banzaii said:

Have you thought about the environmental impacts of flying and the effect of the airport on Botany Bay?  

Just saying......

yeah I have and flying is a lot better than cruising in terms of pollution  ,  except for them dumping excess fuel …  a lot of pollution fpas was from fire fighting foam  .. most of that has settled on the bottom and also there engine pond , that has caused a lot of damage to the underground water table around that area.. that's why dredging that area is dangerous for the whole bay …  

On 12/24/2019 at 9:35 AM, Chiliburn said:

Rod I did see that report and heard a session on the ABC and that was correct that they maybe going to process people off site.

But from what I understand it was only temporary,  for a interim thing if they use the container terminal.

Talking to the officers on voyager , They though Garden Island wouldn’t be suitable for the big ships such as oasis and the next generation icon class. 

I think port botany is going to happen.

from what I was told it would be offsite at yarra bay or molli point terminal  .. how messed up would that be 4000- 6000 trying to get off and bussed to another location..  and imagine getting back on .. bloody nightmare … they mention sharing the container port and setting up a temporary  tent type style like they use to have at bangaroo  …. the gov doesn't want to use garden island area even tho the naval officer , phill Collins said it can be shared  for couple months of the yr , but they didn't even read his report that they commissioned him to write about shared port .. 

also garden island is probably the last remaining dry dock on the east coast that can handle the RAN fleet..    don't know why they need garden island there anyway  its a prime target ..  and having the only dry dock on the east coast makes it even more of a target in my books

Edited by in rod we trust

On 12/28/2019 at 2:49 AM, The_Big_M said:

Hence the nimbyism. 

Cruises have a supposedly bad effect here, yet elsewhere it's not something he's worried about.

Same with all the industrial activity at Botany including the airport. Not an issue.. but the cruise terminal is. No logic or principle, just nimbyism.

no your wrong  if I can support overseas people who have concerns and don't want there beautiful beaches and marine life destroyed I will ..  here is another mob I support in there cause ..  and yet again its royal carribean with carnival at it again...  not sure if your just using nimbysts as a way to cover up there destruction  .. 

now listen to the video above , the cruise line even threatens to not go there if its not built .. see there greed above all even if that means destroying what people go there to see...  come on do they really need to wipe the caymans out as well to boost there profit margins..    save thing at botany destroy the whole bay just for there greed ..   

5 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

from what I was told it would be offsite at yarra bay or molli point terminal  .. how messed up would that be 4000- 6000 trying to get off and bussed to another location..  and imagine getting back on .. bloody nightmare … they mention sharing the container port and setting up a temporary  tent type style like they use to have at bangaroo  …. the gov doesn't want to use garden island area even tho the naval officer , phill Collins said it can be shared  for couple months of the yr , but they didn't even read his report that they commissioned him to write about shared port .. 

also garden island is probably the last remaining dry dock on the east coast that can handle the RAN fleet..    don't know why they need garden island there anyway  its a prime target ..  and having the only dry dock on the east coast makes it even more of a target in my books

Rod ,you are here.

I thought you may have been on a Royal Carribean cruise.

Rod ,I was talking to some of the officers on a ship a couple of weeks ago . Their thoughts were garden Island wouldn’t  be suitable for the very big ships.

They said it could be use but just to tight and wouldn’t warrant hundreds of millions.

So I think we will be seeing something happening in Botany Bay 

6 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

no your wrong  if I can support overseas people who have concerns and don't want there beautiful beaches and marine life destroyed I will ..  here is another mob I support in there cause ..  and yet again its royal carribean with carnival at it again...  not sure if your just using nimbysts as a way to cover up there destruction  .. 

now listen to the video above , the cruise line even threatens to not go there if its not built .. see there greed above all even if that means destroying what people go there to see...  come on do they really need to wipe the caymans out as well to boost there profit margins..    save thing at botany destroy the whole bay just for there greed ..   

Destroy the whole Bay .....BS...they have built an entire container terminal  in the bay and it is not destroyed .....one more wharf will not make much difference

6 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

You are delusional if you believe that a new terminal would be built but the processing of pax by border force would be done elsewhere offsite. Luggage ,Security and border control is an integral part of a cruise terminal and anyone with half a brain would know that  what you are suggesting would be absolutely counter productive and cost prohibitive and, logistically, practically  impossible on an ongoing basis especially for the larger ships. Temporary tents are exactly that TEMPORARY and such a scenario you are implying would never happen on a permenant basis.One of the main problems with the OPT at the moment is the lack of space needed to process pax ( I believe the wharf was renovated just recently to physically accomodate  the berthing  of Oasis class ships. With the costs involved in building a new terminal the Port Authority would not just  create more problems, especially as you incorrectly suggest, that Royal Caribbean are paying for it. Get your facts correct before making ridiculous suggestions.

13 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

Like many trying to make a case to suit their viewpoint, you throw some arguments in with a basis in reality that on the surface make it sound plausible.

Yes, it's certainly true some cruise lines have made threats to push things their way (just as others do) that aren't merit based but just for greed. A previous example was when they threatened Sydney would be abandoned if they couldn't get more space - when of course the reality is if they can make money they will stay - they just want to make more.

However, that doesn't automatically mean that the bay will be destroyed by the move. Again, you haven't any basis to make such a claim - since the studies have not been completed, and a solution proposed. The fact you keep coming up with false accusations shows you have your own agenda, hence the likelihood of it being nimbyism.

I can go on about how it has in the past dredging destroyed the bay and seagrass eco system  etc etc etc  from just the  major projects container wharf and desal or airport , power station , all the factories that used botany bay as a dumping ground  but its just going around in circles ..  

I know you might be protecting your right to cruise and justify in ya own head that it wont destroy it and cruise boats are green lol  .. but just remember how often does the government or these big companies  tell you the real truth.. why are so many people angry with them selling us out , electricity , ports, airports, gas, farms, and major aussie companies being sold off..  what are we going to have left that's ours .. even the desal is owned by Canadian group ..  

i don't understand why you would not want to protect your own country and save it .. mind boggles but what can i say …  i love this country i don't want to see it destroyed or sold off to the point aussies own nothing  here and allowed these companies to come in destroy it add fark all to the economy and rape the land and oceans  take there profits  overseas..   that's just bloody wrong im sure you all know that as well some where inside of you 

4 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

Not sure what relevance the video about an anchor damage has to do with docking. A dock removes the need for using the anchor and new ships do not even need an anchor at all as they have a global positioning system which will keep them in same location for the duration of a stop.

9 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

Again, not sure what a cruise ship crashing in Indonesian reef has to do with a dock in Australia.  Yes accidents can and do happen but how does a cruise ship differ from the cargo ships and fuel ships already using the bay.

3 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

you forgot the links referring to the Exxon Valdez and the BP drilling rig spill. Oh and what about how the Titanic damaged the iceberg.

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Again, not sure what a cruise ship crashing in Indonesian reef has to do with a dock in Australia.  Yes accidents can and do happen but how does a cruise ship differ from the cargo ships and fuel ships already using the bay.

the area where they want to build it is right near the heads..  ive seen waves reach almost to the top of the break wall ..  they will have to build another massive break wall .to avoid that as summer brings in 2 mtr tides and shocking winds ,  and by the way they still have no disclosed where the break wall will be or how long..  the maritime union of Australia was telling us that the break wall would have to go past bare island  ….. even the maritime union of australia said its too dangerous and doesn't want it to go ahead they are backing us and helping to put a top to it...    been out there few times when i could see center point then see nothing but sea around me in the trough .. it was freaky ...

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Wow, pontoons broke there moorings, a bet a storm has never done that.

that's just the wake so can imagine the wake and effect it will have on the seabed  disturbing those toxins ..  

anyway have a happy new yr to all  hope your new yr is bit better than the last , and you see that Australia is worth saving for us aussie's .. 

30 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

been out there few times when i could see center point then see nothing but sea around me in the trough .. it was freaky ...

Perhaps you shouldn't drink that much then, falling into a urinal trough is pretty wasted and BTW, it wouldn't be sea.😋

I really don't care what people say about me.. .. I just want to bring it to peoples attention we don't need this to be built at yarra  bay or in botany .. there is no need to start ripping up and putting more pressure on the bay by dredging those cancer causing toxin, and destroying the eco system its a family area, and still used by the indigenous people out there.. .. and anglers ..  they can easy use Newcastle or port kembla or eden  .. don't have to rip apart a whole eco system when there are other ports ready to go..  give that cash to the rural fire brigade , and use the ports we have already.. no need to jam pack Sydney with any more traffic either..  its grid lock already at botany bay area... 

as I mentioned people love to go to other destination's and say what a lovely bay when cruising.. so its about time we save our own country first from greedy companies who just want to fill up there pockets  and destroy anything to get it 

Edited by in rod we trust