Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I know that for a while they used at Tent at OPT, and one of our first cruises it was a tent at Bangaroo.

another time My sister sailed out of OPT and they checked them in at White Bay and tendered them to the OPT. 

A year or so back i looked into a cruise with one of the small expedition lines, they checked you in at a temporary structure somewhere and tendered you to a location at Botany, I will try and find if I still have the details.

Yep, P&O used Barangaroo back in 2001 and 2002. Tent plus shed.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Cannot see them using an existing container berth for a cruise ship ( it would have happened by now) and building the new berth and terminal will happen simultaneously ( like Brisbane)  and as I have said before they really only need three terminals for a couple of months a year so the cruise lines will " work around it " til it is built.  IMHO.

Even when  the third terminal is built ( and it will be) the options of where to  cruise to from Sydney are still limited..so how many extra ships will go to the islands or New Zealand and remember Brisbane will also be serving the same market with less people coming from Brisbane  to Sydney to go to the Islands.    Not being negative but just looking at it from a different perspective.

All good points, I think you have really nailed it with the Brisbane terminal taking a huge load away from Sydney.

One reason I'm against Port Botany as a cruise terminal is that it fragments the cruise departures and arrivals even more than the current situation. But I can't think of any alternative that is feasible.

I wish we could have a big artificial "island" like Barcelona has. That was so good and right on the edge of the main part of the city, easy to get to and from, and easy for sightseeing on a port stop.

41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One reason I'm against Port Botany as a cruise terminal is that it fragments the cruise departures and arrivals even more than the current situation. But I can't think of any alternative that is feasible.

I wish we could have a big artificial "island" like Barcelona has. That was so good and right on the edge of the main part of the city, easy to get to and from, and easy for sightseeing on a port stop.

Sydney doesn’t have the year round capacity to warrant a big new terminal.

I think they will have to improvise with the container terminal.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Okay, I thought I have seen you on the promenade a few times, even on the Explorer one time.

True... always do Ovation but mix it up between A pass and check in from time to time with other ships.....nothing like a free lunch 😁😁👍

10 hours ago, gbenjo said:

True... always do Ovation but mix it up between A pass and check in from time to time with other ships.....nothing like a free lunch 😁😁👍

Sometimes graham there’s free plonk when you get on and sometimes not.

Is there reason or are they just celebrating getting through the particular  A security team.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Sometimes graham there’s free plonk when you get on and sometimes not.

Is there reason or are they just celebrating getting through the particular  A security team.

Why would you need to " celebrate" getting through security????

The security , as the name suggests, is primarily there for the passengers safety although judging by some people's actions they may need a little more help than others 😱

On 10/7/2019 at 8:55 AM, gbenjo said:

Why would you need to " celebrate" getting through security????

The security , as the name suggests, is primarily there for the passengers safety although judging by some people's actions they may need a little more help than others 😱

Well a bloke down the pub was telling us about random cavity searches .

I would certainly celebrate NOT getting one of THOSE.

Just listened to a session on the ABC about the progress.

The harbour master said it’s technically possible to build.

There looking at building a Seawall to the east of the container terminal Seawall and dredging Yarra Bay.

Public impute was very negative . Overwhelming public say kick the navy out of garden Island.

Apparently the state government owns garden Island.

Could they break the lease?

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Just listened to a session on the ABC about the progress.

The harbour master said it’s technically possible to build.

There looking at building a Seawall to the east of the container terminal Seawall and dredging Yarra Bay.

Public impute was very negative . Overwhelming public say kick the navy out of garden Island.

Apparently the state government owns garden Island.

Could they break the lease?

There will always be NIMBYs no matter where is suggested.

• Like 1