Rouen

liberty64

Last month we docked at Quai Richard Waddington. There didn't appear to be any other options so guess that would be the norm.

According to Google maps that's a 3.2 Km (2 mile), 40 min walk to the cathedral where the shuttle dropped us. Having used the bus on the first day we walked part of the way on the second and saw the bits of the town closer to the dock.

Regards, Colin.

21 hours ago, liberty64 said:

Than

I'm looking at an overnight cruise, would you recommend?

Yes as if you are there at the right time they do a lovely evening light show after dark projected onto the cathedral, we were there in August last year when it was on. Not sure when it is on but you could google it.

There are some really excellent restaurants there to try.

We also enjoyed the Joan of Arc museum which is is interestingly done.

There is a charge for shuttle unless paid cruise by Freedom fare. Sorry do not know the cost, for us it was free. It is a payment to Fred so I would expect it to be onboard account.

Light show is at 9.30 if I remember right, which should catch the last shuttle back. But it looks like it finishes last week!

There is a little train runs from the front of the cathedral, left side facing, and for 8 euro it will give you a basic tour of the town in 40 minutes.

Our visit was a little marred by riots and masses of cops with the shuttle bus being stopped.

Tourist office gives good info and is just across from the cathedral.

Edited by Pentlands
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, tinkerfenwick said:

I will be visiting Rouen on Balmoral  next month, is there a charge for shuttle bus and is it charged to onboard account or pay in local currency...?

I’m on the Balmoral Rouen/Honfleur cruise next month too. I have been to both ports before and they are lovely. Really looking forward to the cruise along the river Seine as well. 

On 9/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, tinkerfenwick said:

I will be visiting Rouen on Balmoral  next month, is there a charge for shuttle bus and is it charged to onboard account or pay in local currency...?

I have always known Fred's shuttles charged as £5 for the day to your on board account (if on saver fare) and that could be 4 trips if you want to come back for lunch.  That charge could have gone up or may be a bit more if the distance is a bit more than normal.  If you are overnight though, you may find the shuttle bus does not continue that late and even if it does, they may not be very regular, so worth clarifying that with shore tours or reception.

I remember waiting about 45 minutes for a shuttle bus in Dublin one evening, when a much larger princess ship had buses going regularly.  We are going to Rouen next year and had asked about Rouen on the ports of call site and seems it may be easier to take a short taxi ride in the evening. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1