Snorkeling Wear?

SimplyMarvie

We've got three snorkeling dates planned on our upcoming cruise. I'm a redhead with super-fair nordic skin, so I burn even with frequent re-applications of reef-safe sunscreen. I have finally given up and admitted that the sexy suits need to go and I have to be covered up if I don't want to turn into a whiny lobster after a day in the sun. I'm trying to figure out what I can wear that will let me snorkel all day long and not regret my poor life choices the next day, but also doesn't look like a burkini, and isn't as hard to pack as a shortie wetsuit. I want to feel pretty and stylish, while also not burning to a crisp.

I've got a speedo, which is full coverage on the bottom, but risks burning the tops of my thighs (ouch!) and has a relatively open back. I could put a rash guard over that suit. Or I could consider getting some board shorts and a sports-bra style top, and putting a long-sleeved rash guard over that? Or maybe something else I haven't thought of?

34 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I have a pair of skirted leggings I use for kayaking and shallow snorkeling.

Land's End is only showing them in plus size, but it might give you an idea of what to look for.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plus-size-swim-cover-up-skirted-leggings/id_330363?sku_0=::BLA

My link is also to Lands End and it's regular size, not plus. So they're there 😉

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Rashguard & swimleggings. Athleta has awesome rashguards

Here we are, the Athleta twins... :classic_biggrin:  (just bought a pair of grey camo Contender 7/8 tights and a black 24/7 Hoodie Top today!!)

I will also direct you to the Title Nine website.  They have rashguards and some pretty sweet long-sleeved one piece suits.  Those suits look pretty darn sexy to me.  One of those and a pair of board shorts to bring the coverage to where you want and you'd still have the guys looking at you...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Here we are, the Athleta twins... :classic_biggrin:  (just bought a pair of grey camo Contender 7/8 tights and a black 24/7 Hoodie Top today!!)

I will also direct you to the Title Nine website.  They have rashguards and some pretty sweet long-sleeved one piece suits.  Those suits look pretty darn sexy to me.  One of those and a pair of board shorts to bring the coverage to where you want and you'd still have the guys looking at you...

Bought the same tights & hoodie 2 weeks ago 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

I have done a bunch of diving and snorkeling over the decades, and at a minimum I am wearing a rash guard.  I also have worn a full body dive skin.  Amazon has some fun ones.  When I am out on deck or in the water I am covered up.  If I am in the shade of the boat, then I hang out in my cute 2-piece.

Lisa

On 9/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, awhfy said:

Bought the same tights & hoodie 2 weeks ago 😂😂😂

Yes I know it's OT, but indulge me for a moment...

Those Contender tights are going to be great for going outside in the winter!  I'll wear these more than my jeans. Pull on a pair of boots and I'm good to go.  I tried on the other camo tights, the Lightning, but they were too thin for winter daily wear.  They were like my Lululemon Align II tights.

We mountain girls think alike 😉

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I think most people who are serious about snorkeling cover up as a matter of fact. Especially when snorkeling over shallow coral. Coral cuts take forever to heal.

It should not be just serious snorkelers.  Anyone out in the water should be wearing at least a rash guard with SPF protection!!  A T-shirt does not count!!

I like this company for the spf 50+. I have the pants and the jacket that I wear over a swimsuit. There are lots of different choices. They also have the sleeves which are great if you're wearing a short sleeve shirt and want some added protection while walking around or on an excursion.

I like how the jacket has a collar for some extra protection.

https://www.uvskinz.com/Water-Jacket-Women-p/040362.htm?color=715

https://www.uvskinz.com/Sun-Leggingz-Women-p/040106.htm?color=364

https://www.uvskinz.com/Sun-Sleeves-UV-Skinz-p/070650.htm?color=154

We use the Coolibar catalogue to purchase rash guards and swim tights - love their gear!  Swim tights come in multiple lengths and colors, from bike-length shorts to capri to full length tights.   The rash guards come in a variety of styles from short to long sleeve as well.  An Australian company that understands how critical it is to have sun-protective gear.

https://www.coolibar.com

Edited by LoriPhil

If you see something you like, double check amazon for prices. I got a couple cute Coolibar pieces earlier this summer (for me, and for husband) cheaper on Amazon than I saw elsewhere. 

My husband loved the Lands End rash guards I got him (short and long sleeve) - tried to order more during a recent sale but they're backordered until January. Dangit, we're heading to beaches over the December holidays (not my choice - I'd happily go someplace cold & snowy, thank you ;-) ) I got myself a couple rash guards as well - the crew neck is fine but ironically the boatneck feels like it pulls tight (yeah, I have neck issues!) I kept it but I don't like to wear it as long as I'll wear the other. They all came in handy when we were in SE Asia last month - despite water resistant formulations and reapplying, we were constantly sweating off sunscreen and liked having backup.