Super Shopper kicked off Elation last week???

jimcald

dosi, would that be ...... "Diamond Dave" ?

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Oh Lordie yes Tom...Diamond Dave....the slickest thing since Teflon. Just thinking about him now makes my skin crawl. He was about the creepiest person I have ever seen that was employed to deal with the public.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

These guys do "business" in a "different" way. Many palms are greased and demands made. My guess a little to much shakedown on the merchants and not enough kicked up the line to keep the others happy and quiet. Corrupt but its the way business gets done.

Unfortunately, its usually the lowest level soldier (the super shopper) that gets fired, their actions are most easily verified with the merchants and investigated. People up the line just pocket the $$ and say "you mean so and so was making some on the side? Well, I never"

Originally posted by dosi:

Oh Lordie yes Tom...Diamond Dave....the slickest thing since Teflon. Just thinking about him now makes my skin crawl. He was about the creepiest person I have ever seen that was employed to deal with the public.

doris

My first cruise is coming up 6/6. I sure as he# hope that no one of that sort is going to be on the Conquest. icon_mad.gif That's why I want to go on a cruise....to get away from such creeps...the type that get around your no-call set-up trying to sell you the proverbial ocean-front property in Arizona.

The hard-sell is a major turn-off to me....really any kind of "sell". True, I know there are alot of people out there that do the "hard sell" thing for a genuine living; but that doesn't stop me from being totally irritated with them when they approach me.

=o) Judy (o=

Every time Diamond Dave smiled I expected to see a superimposed twinkle radiate from his teeth. I was always surprised that so many folks thought he was actually helping them out just to be nice. YUCK!!!

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tef43:

dosi, would that be ...... "Diamond Dave" ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

We had Diamond Dave too. He seemed like a nice guy when we sat next to he and his shipboard g/f on the tender to the Caymans. I was disappointed though that on his Belize shopping info spiel (caught it on TV in the cabin one evening), he was essentially telling ppl that they could get virtually any pharmaceutical they wanted "and you don't have to worry about a prescription." I thought that was a poor thing for a Carnival rep to be promoting.

My $.02

Carnival Paradise 09/2003 and 09/2002

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>he was essentially telling ppl that they could get virtually any pharmaceutical they wanted "and you don't have to worry about a prescription... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the Super Shopper took his own sales pitch to heart & that is why he was "asked" to leave the ship!

Tom - how ya doing! This is so bad - I do not even remember our Super Shopper - I kinda remember the talk but I cannot remember the guy to save my life - boy he must have made a great impression on me. Oh wait a minute - Just looked at the above post - Diamond Dave thats right! Oh I agree with your opinion of him. Kinda worthless.

Carnival

Fantasy 11/91, Ecstasy 1/98, Fascination 11/99, Paradise 2/00, Imagination 4/02, Ecstasy 5/03, Paradise 10/03

Royal Caribbean

Sovereign of the Seas 4/04

It was "Super Shopper Eddie" on the Elation a few weeks back, so I suspect that's who got booted off the ship. IMHO, GOOD RIDDANCE. He was incredibly annoying and I was always left with the impression he was getting a lot of kickbacks from "Tourist Trap International" (you know the places I mean) from all the hype he kept ranting on about them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I thought that was a poor thing for a Carnival rep to be promoting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the face of it I'd agree with you but if you were paying hundreds of dollars a month for prescriptions you might see that issue a little differently. Perspective is everything.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Elation!

I am surprised. I believe (and I could be wrong, of course...hell, wouldn't be the first time), but I thought all of Carnival's fleet had super shoppers. Here's why--I have only ever been on two cruises that didn't have one, and both of those were back in 1979. Every single ship I've been on since has, Carnival or RCCL. Could it be that you just never really noticed? And yes, Eddie was the person onboard Elation who did this job during our cruise ......

Militant Breastfeeding & Homebirth Proponent-Sandra Carmichael

Mardi Gras 6/79

Mardi Gras 6/79

(back to back cruises)

Celebration 8/02

Splendour of the Seas 3/03

Jubilee 7/03

Conquest 1/04

Celebration 1/04

Elation 2/04

Elation *coming again* 1/05

Hmmm. I started thinking about this again, and on my earlier cruises, the Cruise Director did all the 'shopping talks'.

In 2001, the CD (Dave Hee-Ha-Ha) did the shopping talk. I didn't even go to the talk in 2002, but this past September, I passed by the lounge where the Cruise Director was making the talk.

I have looked through my set of Capers from my September cruise, and there's NOTHING mentioned in there about a "super shopper", and I'm pretty sure I never heard any announcements about one.

SO, maybe on the smaller ships, they don't even have a 'super shopper'. icon_confused.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cotton:

SO, maybe on the smaller ships, they don't even have a 'super shopper'. icon_confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Paradise (Fantasy-class) had a super shopper, the Triumph (Destiny-class) did not (John Heald did all the port talks).

Back in the day, the CD *always* performed this task.

Perhaps it speaks to the ability/competence of the CD, whether there is a super shopper on board or not?

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Yes, it was Eddie on our cruise, too. How odd. I remember in one of his talks (watched them while we were in the cabin getting ready, changing for dinner, etc.) hearing him say he'd been a super shopper with Carnival for years. Wonder what happened......

[img]http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v148/unfettered_001/sig%20pics/cruiselydiaA.gif[/img]

Elation, here we come again! 10/17/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Elation 3/28/04

I attend the shopping talk on my first cruise then I got wise..never again [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[email="BrneyznFL@aol.com"][img]http://www.bigotis.com/Glory/Atom.gif[/img][/email]

[img]http://www.bigotis.com/Sensation.gif[/img]
Next Cruises! SENSATION 5/6/04 then MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory Hounds I, Conquestadors

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By the way, Corey was great! Anyone know if he's still with Carnival, or what ship he's on? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corey is no longer with Carnival. He is working on a new show that he is headlining in Lake Tahoe. The show is called "The Corey Schmidt Experience" and will start up in August.

Kristi - [email="kristikae@aol.com"][img]http://www.bigotis.com/Glory/Atom.gif[/img][/email]
"No shoes, no shirt, no problem..."
Fantasy 3/95, Fascination 12/01, Conquest 1/03, Glory 9/03, Conquest 1/04, Mariner 9/04, Miracle 2/05

The infamous super shopper...I was livid with super shopper Jeff on a cruise 2 years ago on the Paradise...He gave misinformation consistently. Over the speakers he'd announce the times shops were open while in port. Sillly me, assumed he knew what he was talking about, In St Thomas he said shops were open at 7am so we made our plans to shop first then hit the beach...well imagine our suprise when we got up at the crack of dawn show up with credit cards in hand at 7am to learn no shops were open and the earliest any would be open ould be 8:30 - turned out that none opened until 9am wasting 2 hours of our port time.

In Barbados there was a large shopping complex right at the dock - we were told all sjops would be open until the ship left (10PM) so again giving super shoper Jeff the benefit of a coube (everyone can make a mistake once) we went to the submarine and then went to Muins beach thinking we'll do our shoping when the sun goes down...again, we were wrong. When we got back to the dock - all shops were closed or in the process of closing at 5PM.

There were many more examples of his misinformatiobut the more I type, the angrier I get remembering!

On the Spirit this past September to Hawaii our super shopper (can't remember her name) told us how happy she was to be on her way with us to Hawaii as they'd been in Alaska all season...she told us all about Alaska, but almost nothing about Hawaii - she had no slides etc to show, because she had been in Alaska (I'm guessing she only found out about the ship making a run to Hawaii the night before how else to explain that she didn't have info ready to go for Hawaii?) - Then again I knew when the ship was going to Hawaii as I booked it nearly a year out!

On the same cruise - someone forgot to tell the people in the gift shops that the ship was going to Hawaii too...they were either completely empty with nothing to sell, spare fixtures laying on the floor, and of what was available to purchase the entire choice of merchandise was..you guessed it, was all Alaska stuff.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not a Carnival basher - I love them and am booked on the Legend in February - but Carnival come on and hear this loud and clear get rid of the super shopper and be sure the info we do hear is accurate! I would love to hear info like - are Taxis' available at pier, how long it takes to get to different beaches etc - I think it's sad that based on past expereince most learn to take most of what we hear with a grain of salt.
OK I feel better now!

The infamous super shopper...I was livid with super shopper Jeff on a cruise 2 years ago on the Paradise...He gave misinformation consistently. Over the speakers he'd announce the times shops were open while in port. Sillly me, assumed he knew what he was talking about, In St Thomas he said shops were open at 7am so we made our plans to shop first then hit the beach...well imagine our suprise when we got up at the crack of dawn show up with credit cards in hand at 7am to learn no shops were open and the earliest any would be open would be 8:30 - turned out that none opened until 9am wasting 2 hours of our port time.

In Barbados there was a large shopping complex right at the dock - we were told all shops would be open until the ship left (10PM) so again giving super shopper Jeff the benefit of a doubt (everyone can make a mistake once) we went to the submarine and then went to Mullins beach thinking we'll do our shopping when the sun goes down...again, we were wrong. When we got back to the dock - all shops were closed or in the process of closing at 5PM.

There were many more examples of his misinformation but the more I type, the angrier I get remembering!

On the Spirit this past September to Hawaii our super shopper (can't remember her name) told us how happy she was to be on her way with us to Hawaii as they'd been in Alaska all season...she told us all about Alaska, but almost nothing about Hawaii - she had no slides etc to show, because she had been in Alaska (I'm guessing she only found out about the ship making a run to Hawaii the night before how else to explain that she didn't have info ready to go for Hawaii?) - Then again I knew when the ship was going to Hawaii as I booked it nearly a year out!

On the same cruise - someone forgot to tell the people in the gift shops that the ship was going to Hawaii too...they were either completely empty with nothing to sell, spare fixtures laying on the floor, and of what was available to purchase the entire choice of merchandise was..you guessed it, was all Alaska stuff.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not a Carnival basher - I love them and am booked on the Legend in February - but Carnival come on and hear this loud and clear get rid of the super shopper and be sure the info we do hear is accurate! I would love to hear info like - are Taxis' available at pier, how long it takes to get to different beaches etc - I think it's sad that based on past expereince most learn to take most of what we hear with a grain of salt.
OK I feel better now!

I completely agree !! I'm tired of hearing where to buy my diamonds and emeralds, [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] lol, and just want to know how to get to the shopping and beaches, where should I eat, what is the price of the taxi, and all that kind of info. Maybe than I'd give the Super Shopper some attention

Pat

Caribe - too far back to remember
Holiday - July 1988
Princess Dawn - May 1995
Tropicale - June 2000
Sensation - June 2001
Grand Princess - July 2002
Inspiration - Oct 2003

'til the PRIDE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;09;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Til The Partae Pirates Sail From Tampa
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/build17/myhomepage/partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

We had a SuperShopper on Last year's TRIUMPH Cruise with Michael Mullane as the CD.

His name was Richard.... and of cource told us to go to "touch of gold" etc.

My thought.. is that the CD was only there for a few weeks... covering John Heald's vacation... and that he was not as familiar with the Western Itinerary.. and that this SUper Shopper was more educated and could fill in this area for him.

Cathy

[img]http://w1.511.telia.com/~u51102888/anims/animal2/dolphin.gif[/img]
Ecstacy October 1992
Destiny October 1999
TRIUMPH May2003

Our TRIUMPHant Return! May 15th
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/catrin0917"]http://community.webshots.com/user/catrin0917[/url]

We had a Super Shopper on the Victory in November who was absolutely wonderful when it came to giving information. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name. This past March we were on the Triumph with CD John Heald and no Super Shopper. I truthfully feel that it put too much on John to do port shopping talks in addition to his CD duties. The Super Shopper on the Victory was certainly more focused on shopping than John was. He did shopping talks that were quite funny, and he gave out lots of prizes as well. I was actually disappointed in John's shopping talks in comparison....

[img]http://members.lycos.nl/Radio2fans/ex/darla.gif[/img]

[img]http://skins.hotbar.com/skins/mailskins/img/Sea___/Sea___related_Party_in_canoe_prv.gif[/img]
Proud member O.A.T.C.
Fantasy 4/94
Sensation 3/99
Fascination 12/99
Imagination 6/2001
Glory 8/2003
Victory 11/2003
New Year's Ecstasy 12/29/03
Triumph 3/2004

Archived