Yellow Fever - St Lucia

floridatravelersforlife

Our TA forwarded an Advisory for St Lucia that they may require a YF vaccine proof to enter the country.     The advisory is mealy mouthed and does not state this is mandatory.   Oceania will let us embark at Miami but is silent as to debarkation at Miami.  We plan not to enter ST Lucia and stay on the ship we have been there before.  We also don't want to get a shot for one country.  We have had several vaccinations recently for pneumonia, flu and shingles in recent years and the reactions are getting worst.  Any one have any first hand experience about what is really going on?  The TA is not  helpful.  I will be calling Oceania tomw, but I expect no definite answer.

8 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Our TA forwarded an Advisory for St Lucia that they may require a YF vaccine proof to enter the country.     The advisory is mealy mouthed and does not state this is mandatory.   Oceania will let us embark at Miami but is silent as to debarkation at Miami.  We plan not to enter ST Lucia and stay on the ship we have been there before.  We also don't want to get a shot for one country.  We have had several vaccinations recently for pneumonia, flu and shingles in recent years and the reactions are getting worst.  Any one have any first hand experience about what is really going on?  The TA is not  helpful.  I will be calling Oceania tomw, but I expect no definite answer.

I do not think O has any clue.  This should not pertain to anyone coming from the states, just countries that have a yellow fever problem.  We are on a cruise that stops at St Lucia also so I am interested as to what O tells you. 

12 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Our TA forwarded an Advisory for St Lucia that they may require a YF vaccine proof to enter. Any one have any first hand experience about what is really going on?  

I was in St. Lucia on July 23 & August 4 while on Insignia...nothing mentioned onboard about this at all. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

You need the shot only if you entering St Lucia from a country in which Yellow Fever is endemic, such as Brazil.  If you cruise only sails from the US and the only ports are those in the Caribbean, then it is not needed.  Here's a recent thread about the Yellow Fever Letter from Oceania.  Please read it and go the CDC links to explain when the shot is needed and when it is not.

Here's the similar thread from Regent's Forum:

4 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

You need the shot only if you entering St Lucia from a country in which Yellow Fever is endemic, such as Brazil.  If you cruise only sails from the US and the only ports are those in the Caribbean, then it is not needed.  Here's a recent thread about the Yellow Fever Letter from Oceania.  Please read it and go the CDC links to explain when the shot is needed and when it is not.

Here's the similar thread from Regent's Forum:

Yes I read it the same way but it is very confusing.  I do not think that O is doing a very good job explaining it and a lot of people do not understand it the way you do.

But at the port in St Lucia how will they know if anyone on the ship has been in a country where yellow fever is endemic? Any passenger could for example be from Brazil or been in Brazil prior to boarding the cruise? We are due to be in St Lucia on 4th November. I am from the UK and will only be flying to Miami prior to our cruise. I really don't want to have to have a yellow fever shot.

4 hours ago, Darspurs said:

But at the port in St Lucia how will they know if anyone on the ship has been in a country where yellow fever is endemic? Any passenger could for example be from Brazil or been in Brazil prior to boarding the cruise? We are due to be in St Lucia on 4th November. I am from the UK and will only be flying to Miami prior to our cruise. I really don't want to have to have a yellow fever shot.

Your passport!

12 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Somebody sent a link that makes it pretty clear unless you are coming from a few select countries you don't need it.  

I remember reading about this on a previous ATW thread (not sure which year, 2016, 2017 or 2018) where they discussed certain countries that would require the YF vaccine ONLY if you'd been to a country where YF was common, such as Brazil. 

I'm going on a South American cruise in 4 months that includes Brazil (and other countries after that), but the cruiseline hasn't said anything about needing the vaccine. 

Ship's manifest?

Many health insurance providers have an international travel advisory department. (In the US. I don't know about other countries.) It's their job to advise what immunizations, prescriptions and documents are needed by country and region. That's where to start. 

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

Oceania will have your passport and immunization documents. Local officials will board the ship and inspect the documents before passengers are allowed to go ashore.

Last November we were on Sirena for the 28 day Amazon cruise.....obviously the cruise stopped in Brazil and then stopped in several Caribbean Islands on the return.  We did not have the yellow fever vaccination (due to our Doctor saying it is not recommended for people over 65 and he would not give us a prescription) and were never asked nor denied disembarkation any where, including St. Lucia.

7 hours ago, Darspurs said:

The requirement is for passengers coming from an endemic region. I think St Lucia port officials will know the ship's itinerary and know whether or not you have come from a problematic port.

Have your TA call Oceania and pursue the issue up the ladder until they find someone who knows the details.  This approach was used by a Regent passenger, and the TA finally reached a person who admitted the notification was only meant for cruises coming from South America.  See the Regent thread, particulary posts 33 and 34: 

Edited by 1985rz1

As the OP,  I finally got to ask Oceania.  For us it's a non event.  Since we've been there before, we won't get off the ship at St Lucia.  Don't need a vaccination if you don't debark at St Lucia.  With respect to returning to Miami, no worries.

Just as a precaution,  we'll spray Deet on board during our day on the docked ship.  We normally carry this with us anyway when we go to the beaches or forested areas. It saved us many times from sand fleas and mosquitos bites.

4 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

As the OP,  I finally got to ask Oceania.  For us it's a non event.  Since we've been there before, we won't get off the ship at St Lucia.  Don't need a vaccination if you don't debark at St Lucia.  With respect to returning to Miami, no worries.

Just as a precaution,  we'll spray Deet on board during our day on the docked ship.  We normally carry this with us anyway when we go to the beaches or forested areas. It saved us many times from sand fleas and mosquitos bites.

So, did you ask and if so what did they say?  You did not tell us in your post. 

Hi yellow fever immunization was recommended and kept coming up in my searches .  Asked question re need as when we saw our travel Dr he did not wish to give due to our ages and He had a 72 yo have a fatal reaction to it.  We have been given a certified waver to cover us which on checking with HAL is fine 😊 this is also fine to come back to Australia with. Thank you for answers

Edited by Riveraddict

9 hours ago, Riveraddict said:

Hi yellow fever immunization was recommended and kept coming up in my searches .  Asked question re need as when we saw our travel Dr he did not wish to give due to our ages and He had a 72 yo have a fatal reaction to it.  We have been given a certified waver to cover us which on checking with HAL is fine 😊 this is also fine to come back to Australia with. Thank you for answers

The complications are the reason we are hesitant about taking the YF vaccine.  Not worth it to us.