Skagway helicopter tour offered at cruise port?

CH_ca

Hi! Due to the uncertain weather in Alaska in September, I wonder if I should wait till the day of before booking a helicopter tour in Skagway. Does anyone know if there are helicopter tours offered at the port? If so, do they charge the same as the Cruise Line or more? Also, we're going to be there all day. Should we book a morning tour or afternoon tour? Thanks.

If you know you want to do helicopter tours, book it either thru cruiseline or directly.  They vendors are well aware of the weather and should issue refund if it gets canceled.  Not sure if the weather forces a schedule change of their choice whether you can get refund or opt out. 

I would NOT wait, helicopters capacity is very very limited and supply usually far short of demand, I'd not wait till you get to dock to hope to get luck.  Maybe others who sailed more recently can chime in if they recalled people touting helicopter tours.

Edited by chipmaster

Thanks chipmaster! My concern is not the tour gets cancelled due to bad weather. It's the not so bad weather but cloudy enough that all you can see is clouds up there. In that case, I'd rather do something else instead. I see your point of limited helicopters capacity. Maybe I'll just book it and hope for the best!

10 minutes ago, CH_ca said:

Thanks chipmaster! My concern is not the tour gets cancelled due to bad weather. It's the not so bad weather but cloudy enough that all you can see is clouds up there. In that case, I'd rather do something else instead. I see your point of limited helicopters capacity. Maybe I'll just book it and hope for the best!

The dogsledding locations are high in the mountains and helicopters cannot fly if the landing/flight areas are in the clouds.  During my last Skagway dogsleeding excursion, I saw only two helicopters (6 pax each) land in my one hour on the site which indicates to me that 24 cruise passengers per hour can enjoy the dogsledding.   Book ASAP.

image.png.c9630d5096a0661ed0172318251e9ab5.png

If you are talking about the dogsledding tours on the ice, this year, they have been over with for a month!

if you wish to go on a helicopter ride, book it right away, any way that you can, and cross your fingers. This is not a good time for this activity!

DD

4 hours ago, CH_ca said:

I think it is worth calling them,  my memory for years ago was in discussion with the vendor they were clear that safety and customer satisfaction are important.  We used Temsco years ago. and recalled that was the drift.     Also even if you book thru  cruiseline they use the same companies, so calling them directly will give you better feel then cruiseline which are always clueless to these things. 

That being said weather is variable and things like dog sledding and helicopters glacier landings / sight seeing are indeed limited by clouds and hard to believe they'd fly if views are limited, but having done glacier landing during overcast ( NOT low clouds ), it is still pretty good. 

Of course nothing beats spectacular sunny days, did dog sledding on such a day.     As mentioned dog sledding has short season and already closed,  crazy expensive for but a short ride.  Wife thought I was crazy for doing it but after the experience never discussed the price again, LOL.  The memory of holding the "puppies" up on the ice for just a few seconds, priceless.    

0E13B6E8-E837-462F-9877-190982D73884.jpeg

298C6A77-661B-4F32-B26D-1304040AD0B4.jpeg

976B763D-012F-4E16-804F-1F6F8DA9A8DF.jpeg

FFDC1536-0343-4D12-BFAA-6DED5E9623A1.jpeg

E4083921-AF8F-4E52-B9A0-A885FB6166D9.jpeg

F0DBCD87-D71C-44C1-8517-123B506C032A.jpeg

4B2DF975-C08E-4494-BB04-F15016AE6989.jpeg

A0D77E00-4FD5-473D-8F5D-CAF890CC27BB.jpeg

EBC7E738-112A-4441-98D9-434091F5F549.jpeg

F85D30C7-3EAA-4588-B42B-9D5322AF0718.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster