Taking off your luggage then reboarding and continuing on to final destination? 

IJustWantToGo36

This is a very interesting topic.  So, I'm leaving Tuesday for a LA-SYD cruise, first stop Honolulu.  My plan is  to have a neighbor pick me up and take me to my condo and pack a case of our warm weather clothes/shoes and other sundries needed for warm destinations.  Left me with easier packing from here (Oregon).  MIght just throw it all in shopping bags!!

We thought on our 28day Hawaii-Tahiti-Samoa sailing we'd  go home when in HNL check on the house and do our laundry. After reading this, think I just might stuff all dirty laundry in a backpack and take it off rather than a suitcase.

Guess I could take empty suitcase and wife take the backpack.

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Time to get rid of the Jones Act and PVSA for the good of all.  Coming from Hawaii, we are penalized "hugely" for this archaic act.  Goods coming from China (Far East) needs to be shipped to California then placed on an American ship to be brought back to Hawaii.  This almost doubles the cost of goods. 

The Jones act does not prohibit shipping from China to Hawaii on a non-USA ship no more than it prohibits the ships going to California from China.

What the act prohibits is the shipping of goods between two USA ports on a non-USA ship. China to Hawaii is not between two USA ports.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 4:47 AM, IJustWantToGo36 said:

OP here.  

Appreciate responses so far.

Yes- have to fly back to a country we passed through on the cruise.

Hypthetical question-  What is the largest bag / package you can take off a cruise ship without getting customs involved?

At any port any bag or person is subject to search and check,  so the answer is anyone can be checked at anytime without reason.

17 hours ago, Murphey said:

This is a very interesting topic.  So, I'm leaving Tuesday for a LA-SYD cruise, first stop Honolulu.  My plan is  to have a neighbor pick me up and take me to my condo and pack a case of our warm weather clothes/shoes and other sundries needed for warm destinations.  Left me with easier packing from here (Oregon).  Might just throw it all in shopping bags!!

You can bring on board whatever personal effects you want in Hawaii.  Your bags just have to fit and go through the security scanners. Your original plan seems very reasonable. This original thread was about taking items off in another country which is not the final disembarkation port.

OP  here again

I'm going to start detailing the Odyssey of getting an answer from Princess

I asked my VTG-TA the question he put me on hold. Comes back 10 minutes later and says;

"They want to know how much the suitcases will weigh?"

My response was" what a stupid question, they don't have scales when leaving the ship>
so tell them 2 suitcases 20 pounds"

20 minutes later he comes back and says:
| "they say that you have to leave the ship with the same weight that you brought on"

I said "an even stupider response, and I will email you why"

Here is the email:
------begin email--------------------------
Here is why the response is "STUPID"

You were told: "you have to leave the ship with the same weight that you arrive on the ship with"

Problem- many people bring on suitcases of soda and water.
One case = 20 lbs

It is not unusual on a long cruise for people to bring suitcases with 3-4 cases of water
therefore, they leave the cruise with 40-80 pounds less then they boarded

I will let you know if I receive an intelligent answer to this question.
---------end email-------------------------

Does anyone here know how I can contact an intelligent person in the right department at Princess?

Agree weight has absolutely nothing to do with anything. It's obvious by the answer that the Princess phone rep. either does not understand the question or has no clue regarding applicable international regulations. I would just call again, and if you get the same person, ask to speak with a supervisor or just call again. I hope you mention to them the port & country involved, as this could make a difference.

13 hours ago, caribill said:

The Jones act does not prohibit shipping from China to Hawaii on a non-USA ship no more than it prohibits the ships going to California from China.

What the act prohibits is the shipping of goods between two USA ports on a non-USA ship. China to Hawaii is not between two USA ports.

Thanks for the clarification.  I've been "brainwashed" all these years!  It is more of an economic (insufficient amount of goods being offloaded to warrant stop).  Here is a link to debunking my mis-information:

http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/ArticlesMain/tabid/56/ID/10736/Jones-Act-Does-Not-Bar-International-Trade-From-Hawaii.aspx

But in Hawaii's defense, good ARE more expensive because they have to be carried over by an American flagged ship (Matson, Horizon, Young's Barges).  Those costs are much more than a foreign flagged ship.  

I was too young to vote in 1959 but most that I have talked to said they didn't vote for Statehood.  HA!  Most here feel that the Jones Act (that penalizes Hawaii) should be modified.  We can thank Senator Inouye for killing that measure.  His second wife was the Godmother to Pride of Aloha (NCL).  Conflict of interest?  He did a lot for the state...just not this time.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Agree weight has absolutely nothing to do with anything. It's obvious by the answer that the Princess phone rep. either does not understand the question or has no clue regarding applicable international regulations. I would just call again, and if you get the same person, ask to speak with a supervisor or just call again. I hope you mention to them the port & country involved, as this could make a difference.

The TA was the one that spoke, he made it seems like they had a whole deptartment discussing it.

this will be fun

1 hour ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

as  I appreciate everyone's answers, there's a key piece being messed

"this is South America .  I can almost guarantee,  no matter what the cruise line says ,
 things will not happen that way "

We are going to try to contact the Port agent and see if they have any insight. D

Good call.  I did the same in Honolulu after I returned (for the next time).  I called US Customs and Border Protection.  She wasn't much help though.  Pretty much told me to use the airlines to transport my stuff or US Postal Service.  

The best advice I'd give you is to get something in writing from the country in South America, clear it with the Admin Officer at the front desk, and cross your fingers.  Good luck.

Where are you going to store your luggage once you take it off of the ship until you meet up with it again?

Edited by cr8tiv1

41 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Well finally you have mentioned the country you are planning to enter with your luggage!!

I don't know how this applies to a one day visit as opposed to an actual entry but here is official info:

http://pretoria.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/customs_regulations_in_brazil.xml#Admission Baggage

Appreciate information appreciate the information but there was nothing on there that was  not already known.

when I asked the question  what size bag you can take off without security stopping you,
  it was not about smuggling  it was about laundry.

an overnight stop in Rio  is a great opportunity to have laundry done at cheaper prices before continuing voyage .

My scenario is not unusual, as it is not unusual on a European cruise for people to jump off in one city and fly to the next
They  do not have to be up at 6:30 AM to meet customs agent,

Again- 

I do appreciate all the answers and we will eventually find one that works 

3 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Appreciate information appreciate the information but there was nothing on there that was  not already known.

when I asked the question  what size bag you can take off without security stopping you,
  it was not about smuggling  it was about laundry.

an overnight stop in Rio  is a great opportunity to have laundry done at cheaper prices before continuing voyage .

My scenario is not unusual, as it is not unusual on a European cruise for people to jump off in one city and fly to the next
They  do not have to be up at 6:30 AM to meet customs agent,

Again- 

I do appreciate all the answers and we will eventually find one that works 

Nobody knows that and they won't take anyones word for it.

Thats the purpose of screening. 

It is not different in European countries. They have the same concerns. 

I know you feel it is not a big deal because you are not doing anything illegal.

Hopefully you can accomplish what you want.

9 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Nobody knows that and they won't take anyones word for it.

Thats the purpose of screening. 

It is not different in European countries. They have the same concerns. 

I know you feel it is not a big deal because you are not doing anything illegal.

Hopefully you can accomplish what you want.

Stop missing the point.  It is not about being screened.  It is about standing around for 3 hours whiel they find someone to nod and say OK.   Been on cruises that terminated in brazil-   you fill out a form and no one looks.

Happy fpor security or anyone else to look at clothes.   Just do not want to be inconvenienced.

Did a cruise from Europe to Brazil stopping in Rio and ending in São Paulo 

Made arrangements to get off in Rio .  Was told we have to be ready at 8:30 leave with the group

We walked off at 11  with no problem.     

So to be clear ,  screening is not the issue inconvenience is!

Just now, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Stop missing the point.  It is not about being screened.  It is about standing around for 3 hours whiel they find someone to nod and say OK.   Been on cruises that terminated in brazil-   you fill out a form and no one looks.

Happy fpor security or anyone else to look at clothes.   Just do not want to be inconvenienced.

Did a cruise from Europe to Brazil stopping in Rio and ending in São Paulo 

Made arrangements to get off in Rio .  Was told we have to be ready at 8:30 leave with the group

We walked off at 11  with no problem.     

So to be clear ,  screening is not the issue inconvenience is!

Good luck.  🙄

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I am laughing now because I think all this discussion for the purpose of taking laundry off the ship is just hysterical!  Good luck with it all.

At least my Saturday started off with a good laugh!

Thank you

This whole thing is funny, because a simple, question does not have simple answers.

The laundrey will go back on the ship- 
There are other clothes which we will not be needing that goes to apartment.

It is quite simple if you live in 2 countries, but so since most people do not, I use European cruises as an analogy.
BTW- the keyword when researching is "REJOIN"

Leaving a cruise in one city and meeting it in another is REJOINING.  That is NOT what we are doing, but it is closest search term I could find.

It is not unusual for a cruise that overnites in Rio, for people to leave ship and go to a city  2 hrs away like Buzios

and spend the night.

Now they will need  to take a carryyon off the ship.  WHat is the process?

Edited by IJustWantToGo36
  • Like 1