Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
PelicanBill

Atlantic- Jerry

The waiting is the worst.  That’s the one negative about cruising, when the weather goes bonkers and the cruise lines have to wait until last minute to inform you of the cruise plan.  To all those with Bermuda cruises, hang in there.

2 hours ago, danak13 said:

I am on the breeze leaving Saturday for bermuda. Supposed to be docked Monday night into Tuesday but I can't imagine that will happen. I just wish they would tell us where we are going and not wait until we board on Saturday. It would make me much calmer 

That is my exact sentiment. Our cruise is the same itinerary but Anthem. I don't even want to go to Bermuda at this point. 

Jerry is still on the same path. Good news is expected only as a minimal hurricane.

they really don’t decide until the day before or day of cruise because condition s might change. They often do. But I was in your position 3 years ago and laughed as we boarded and so many people said “they said we are still going!” In the first 2 hours. Of course after all aboard they announced “of course we cannot go to Bermuda and we are working on an alternate plan now and will remain here in New York overnight to let the first storm clear away from the east cost” (there were two hurricanes just like now!)

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Jerry is still on the same path. Good news is expected only as a minimal hurricane.

they really don’t decide until the day before or day of cruise because condition s might change. They often do. But I was in your position 3 years ago and laughed as we boarded and so many people said “they said we are still going!” In the first 2 hours. Of course after all aboard they announced “of course we cannot go to Bermuda and we are working on an alternate plan now and will remain here in New York overnight to let the first storm clear away from the east cost” (there were two hurricanes just like now!)

Thanks. That makes sense. Right now I almost feel gaslighted by it, like I'm crazy for thinking we can't go there in a hurricane. 

11 am update: path the same.  Rain for islands passing and tropical storm watches still up for a few but not warnings so not expected to have strong winds there. That risk ends sometime tomorrow. 

Bermuda still right in the center of the forecast path, passing Tuesday and Wednesday as a weak hurricane or strong tropical storm— very similar to Humberto’s impact but perhaps more because of being on center not nearby.

please do post if any of you learn of your Bermuda cruises changing. 

37 minutes ago, ceb91990 said:

@PelicanBill So where did you end up going??

We sailed south to Port Canaveral which had lingering bad weather from the second hurricane so beaches were closed, and Bermuda for a late port call after another ship had left, so we got in a boat ride but half the stores were closed.  Not enough time for Great Stirrup Cay since we left late.  We had done that itinerary the year before. 

Even more ridiculous: we booked a 12 day Breakaway cruise the next year. Hurricanes ruined 2 of the 6 ports we were to visit. They scrapped it and sent us to port canaveral, Nassau, and great Stirrup Cay, and 3 western Caribbean ports we had been to often. After final payment with no option to cancel. Argh!

Grandeur of the Seas now appears about half way to Bermuda (due there 2PM Saturday to 6PM Sunday.  She is then due in the Bahamas Tuesday and Wednesday, which I think would be a very rough ride.  I will speculate that instead she'll hit a couple of New England ports, which will be a legal option once she has Bermuda (even with a shortened stay) as her foreign port.

Roy

Carnival Sunshine, departing September 22nd, is now going to Princess Caye and over-nighting in Nassau.  Official per John Heald's post a few minutes ago.  

Lisa

If 

Jerry were to weaken and have minimal impact 

then

cruises going to Bermuda Wednesday or Thursday could conceivably get in if perhaps a little late. 

Also it is a fast mover and if it sped up a little it could be helpful. 

All is not lost. This is why they try not to make the decisions until the last moment.

5 minutes ago, piratebarrister said:

We are underway to Bermuda!  The Captain just came in to inform us of rough seas tomorrow though!  😬

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Are you on the Grandeur?

Roy

Not so patiently awaiting news of an RCI change now that Disney and Carnival have changed. I feel like they would be crazy not to change or cancel. I'm scared to go. 

15 hours ago, piratebarrister said:

We are underway to Bermuda!  The Captain just came in to inform us of rough seas tomorrow though!  😬

Fantastic!

Jerry is weaker. 

Same path, right in to Bermuda,  but becoming a hurricane just as it arrives Tuesday. 

Given we know Bermuda seems able to reopen after Humberto this looks good for cruises to resume quickly. On this forecast only Tuesday and Wednesday seem to be a concern.

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Jerry is weaker. 

Same path, right in to Bermuda,  but becoming a hurricane just as it arrives Tuesday. 

Given we know Bermuda seems able to reopen after Humberto this looks good for cruises to resume quickly. On this forecast only Tuesday and Wednesday seem to be a concern.

Anthem is still headed to Bermuda as planned (to reach there Monday and leave Tuesday). First they gave out a paper saying it would only stay Monday from 9 to 5:45 but then they took the papers back from passengers citing an error (the error was not disclosed). People already on board from a B2B cruise are reporting that they had no idea about the change and are being told by the captain that they may be sea days instead. I have made the decision not to go as long as they are still headed for Bermuda. I feel like it's being totally mishandled and if they go to Bermuda it is the least conservative decision possible and honestly irresponsible. I can't for the life of me understand why they would cut it so close to a hurricane, knowing the ride will be dangerously unconfortable really no matter what at this point. So I'm out. I can't do it and I had to just draw the line for my family. I have read about other people not going for the same reason. Too bad there could not be more communication earlier. 

Wow @Brina424 ... well here is the Jerry update for Sunday morning.  It’s good news for Bermuda.   Strength now staying at tropical storm and for the first time in days the forecast path shifted away from a direct Bermuda hit. Now off to the northwest and Bermuda would have wind and rain but not roof-lifting wind. 

Timing: impact to start late Tuesday through Wednesday. The Anthem could be fine for Monday...

Edited by PelicanBill

On 9/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, Brina424 said:

Anthem is still headed to Bermuda as planned (to reach there Monday and leave Tuesday). First they gave out a paper saying it would only stay Monday from 9 to 5:45 but then they took the papers back from passengers citing an error (the error was not disclosed). People already on board from a B2B cruise are reporting that they had no idea about the change and are being told by the captain that they may be sea days instead. I have made the decision not to go as long as they are still headed for Bermuda. I feel like it's being totally mishandled and if they go to Bermuda it is the least conservative decision possible and honestly irresponsible. I can't for the life of me understand why they would cut it so close to a hurricane, knowing the ride will be dangerously unconfortable really no matter what at this point. So I'm out. I can't do it and I had to just draw the line for my family. I have read about other people not going for the same reason. Too bad there could not be more communication earlier. 

To be honest the ride will be uncomfortable but not unsafe.  I have been in worse seas on the way home to NYC.  These ships are build to handle it.    The worse sailings for this ship and NCL Breakway included trailing the "Bomb Cyclone" and yes it was uncomfortable and questionable when doors and windows broke. But passengers were still safe and those affected by the water were compensated.

It's definitely a personal decisions.  This ride won't be that awful and the weather in Bermuda will be pretty good. Anthem will be almost 24 away before tropical storm force winds arrive - that's halfway to New York.

7 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

oh and Grandeur of the Seas and Norwegian Dawn are both in Bermuda today!

Grandeur is headed for Nassau.  Will she need to detour around Jerry?

Roy

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Grandeur is headed for Nassau.  Will she need to detour around Jerry?

Roy

Can you tell me 

Sail date and port; Nassau date.

It gets hard to search the cruise itineraries if I don't know when they sail and where from.

NM I found it -- for Sep. 24 Nassau - Yes I think Grandeur must sail SE a ways and circle around south of Jerry to reach Nassau. I would need to figure out the hours of time between ports to see if it will delay the ship but it seems possible to arrive to Nassau late.

Edited by PelicanBill