Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

sid_9169

Only minutes later, and thanks to TSA pre check, I'm through security and at the gate... Three. Hours. Early...

But, first, let's go back to the beginning of this already hectic day...

My six o'clock wake up call came in exactly as planned... Only problem was, that when I answered the phone, it says "press any key to acknowledge" so, I do... I hang up the phone, and one minute later it rings again... I push the button and hang up... Again... A minute later, same thing. Now, keep in mind, I haven't slept well already, and this dang phone keeps ringing. I just threw the receiver down on the counter and left it there...

I threw on some clothes right quick so I could get some coffee. I tried the secret place, but it was closed. I ended up having to wait in line at the regular Java Blue for about ten minutes, and soon I had my large black coffee... I went out on the Lanai and tried to enjoy my final cuppa Joe on board, and knew that my time was short, so I chugged it down and climbed the stairs to the buffet...

I didn't want to wait for an omelette, though in hindsight, I wish I would've... I ended up getting fake scrambled eggs and a cold eggs Benedict with ham.

I had a little final packing to do, so I got that finished, and went ahead and took a shower. It was getting close to 7:00 by then, and my instructions said to meet in the Liquid Lounge at 7:15 for self assist for early flights.

I got dressed, and got everything ready to walk out the door right at about 7:15... I grabbed all my stuff and headed for the stairs. My carry on, my backpack, and my checked bag, which was loaded down with dirty laundry and Hennessy pure white... It was a load, but I managed.

When I got to deck 4, there was a group of self assist filing out of the Liquid Lounge, so I just blended into the line and never looked back. In fact, I never stopped walking until I was all the way out on the curb waiting for the taxi.

The new facial recognition system basically looks at you, and if it can match your face to your passport photo, you're good to go. I have to admit that I'm surprised it recognized me, as my passport photo is almost ten years old, and I was looking a bit "worse for the wear" this morning...

I was in a taxi pretty quickly, and arrived at MIA at about 7:45... I really don't know what I'm going to do for two more hours. I normally just pace back and forth in the terminal... I do have a couple of plastic bags at the ready, so I can make a bathroom visit whenever necessary...

I suppose that I could stand here and wait for the bar to open? Just kidding... In fact, I think I'm going to try and "curb" my drinking habit a bit and see how that feels... It's really the only place in my budget where I have any wiggle room...

IMG_20190929_084758.jpg

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, blarko said:

Were there any days on the ship that you reached the 15 drink maximum for Cheers?

I never even got close... Almost everything I was drinking had at least a couple of shots of tequila in it... On the other hand, I never did get "sloppy drunk" which was by design. I've had those times on the ship where I was so drunk that I puked. I try to keep it under control now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Boy, that Starbucks must be some good coffee... About forty something people waiting in line for it...

IMG_20190929_093738.jpg

Wow, that’s a crazy line.  I have a love hate relationship with Starbucks.  They are ridiculously expensive so I do not buy their coffee very much.  But it is pretty good, so I guess they are doing something right.

• Like 1

I guess I could review the Miami airport... It'd be pretty short, though. It's pretty rinky dink compared to ATL... Although, I've only ever seen terminal H and J, which are connected. The food court has a McDonald's, a pizza place, and some other sandwich place. Once, my flight ended up being delayed by several hours, and I ended up eating at McDonald's... Wouldn't have been so bad, except for the extortionate prices...

57 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I suppose that I could stand here and wait for the bar to open? Just kidding... In fact, I think I'm going to try and "curb" my drinking habit a bit and see how that feels... It's really the only place in my budget where I have any wiggle room...

IMG_20190929_084758.jpg

Do it.  If you drink less in real life, you will have even more to look forward to on vacation.  And yes, more money in your pocket.  I barely drink in real life.  Used to when I was a lot younger but one day just said stop.

Edited by Cafedumonde
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Only minutes later, and thanks to TSA pre check, I'm through security and at the gate... Three. Hours. Early...

But, first, let's go back to the beginning of this already hectic day...

My six o'clock wake up call came in exactly as planned... Only problem was, that when I answered the phone, it says "press any key to acknowledge" so, I do... I hang up the phone, and one minute later it rings again... I push the button and hang up... Again... A minute later, same thing. Now, keep in mind, I haven't slept well already, and this dang phone keeps ringing. I just threw the receiver down on the counter and left it there...

Three hours will go quickly.

Thanks for the awesome review btw.  Wishing you the best of luck at home and look forward to hearing what you have to say about Encore.  I have mixed feelings on NCL.

I was over in your ATL thread the other day.  And I hope I am not being too forward in saying, don’t ever forget that life is just difficult.  Everything about it is difficult.  It is a constant  effort just to maintain the status quo (Just look at how difficult it is to keep a ship from falling apart.  It is a daily battle against corrosion and disrepair.  lol).  But... that’s ok.  You just keep pushing through.  We all do, and along the way, you will meet people that make it worthwhile, you will find moments of bliss.  Also, people have to start over all the time, even people who made all the “right” decisions in their lives.  It’s just part of the human condition.  Fate has a way of throwing things at you, at all of us.  Don’t be afraid to try something completely different in terms of employment.  There are a lot of jobs out there.  Even go back to school.  Don’t think of a job as a passion but as a means to an end.  (Most people disagree with me on that.)  (Kind of off the wall, but have you ever considered working in a hospital?  There are a lot of relatively high paying jobs in hospitals that require minimal training.)  People redefine their lives all the time at a variety of ages. 

That’s it for me.  I’m not super comfortable with deep thoughts.  Lol.  I like you found cruising a bit later in life (well, started in my mid-30s, now in mid-40s) and it has changed my life for the better.  There is something really life affirming about the open sea.  Take care.  

Edited by Cafedumonde
  • Like 18