Cruise Critic Community
sid_9169

Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

28 minutes ago, PJDH4 said:

Hi Sid!

Last year, my family and I were on the Breakaway a few weeks after you and I loved your review!  We are now thinking about Horizon this spring with the same itinerary you just did. I got on CC to do some research and was so excited to find another one of your great reviews!

So, here’s my question... One of the reasons we are considering this cruise is for the ports - they would be all new for us just as they were for you.  But, you didn’t seem too crazy about any of these places.  Are they worth visiting, or should we stick with tried and true Cozumel?

I didn't really do anything at GT, so can't comment... La Romana, I took a tour that was supposed to be great, but sucked... My fault... Curacao, I would like to give some further exploration, as well as Aruba... I would definitely like to see Aruba again...

8 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Three hours will go quickly.

Thanks for the awesome review btw.  Wishing you the best of luck at home and look forward to hearing what you have to say about Encore.  I have mixed feelings on NCL.

I was over in your ATL thread the other day.  And I hope I am not being too forward in saying, don’t ever forget that life is just difficult.  Everything about it is difficult.  It is a constant  effort just to maintain the status quo (Just look at how difficult it is to keep a ship from falling apart.  It is a daily battle against corrosion and disrepair.  lol).  But... that’s ok.  You just keep pushing through.  We all do, and along the way, you will meet people that make it worthwhile, you will find moments of bliss.  Also, people have to start over all the time, even people who made all the “right” decisions in their lives.  It’s just part of the human condition.  Fate has a way of throwing things at you, at all of us.  Don’t be afraid to try something completely different in terms of employment.  There are a lot of jobs out there.  Even go back to school.  Don’t think of a job as a passion but as a means to an end.  (Most people disagree with me on that.)  (Kind of off the wall, but have you ever considered working in a hospital?  There are a lot of relatively high paying jobs in hospitals that require minimal training.)  People redefine their lives all the time at a variety of ages. 

That’s it for me.  I’m not super comfortable with deep thoughts.  Lol.  I like you found cruising a bit later in life (well, started in my mid-30s, now in mid-40s) and it has changed my life for the better.  There is something really life affirming about the open sea.  Take care.  

This is well said. The only part I would disagree with is the idea of Sid working in a hospital. Germs!! Can’t see it. 

Really glad you made it home safely, Sid! This was my first time reading your reviews, and you can now add another fan to your already lengthy list! The next one will be here before you know it!

46 minutes ago, DubNHub said:

Really glad you made it home safely, Sid! This was my first time reading your reviews, and you can now add another fan to your already lengthy list! The next one will be here before you know it!

Thanks, DubNHub... I'll add you to the "tribe"...

Sid, your review and commentary was fantastic.  I was on the Horizon from NY in 2018.  Brought back good memories.  Thank you for taking us along.  

On 9/25/2019 at 8:51 PM, sid_9169 said:

A: tide pods and carrot raisin salad at Chick fil A...

B: nobody even noticed...

Sid you really should do some preplanning for the islands. Have a place set up to go to. Would make your port experience better. That would also mean you would have to get up early. I guess that would be a problem. Lol

Thoroughly enjoyed your review. And I agree with a previous poster about showing love for us tall girls. Lol I'm almost 6 ft tall barefoot, and I love seeing Lana out there reppin' for us. 😁 Can't wait for your next review!

Thanks for the great review, loved it, looked forward to reading it every day, miss it already!

Great review, Sid!   I lurked all the way through it (and on the ATL topic, which is equally enjoyable).   There are probably more of us out here lurking than you realize.

7 hours ago, Fire6 said:

Great review, Sid!   I lurked all the way through it (and on the ATL topic, which is equally enjoyable).   There are probably more of us out here lurking than you realize.

Thanks, Fire6... Hope to see you do more than lurking from now on...

Six thirty am on Monday morning... Getting prepared for my first day back at work, and it's going to be a long one... I went and did some of my part time job yesterday afternoon, and noticed a sign on the door saying they were closed today for Rosh Hashanah... That meant that I had until tonight actually finish, which was good news. Last night I only had one beer in addition to the one earlier at Holeman and Finch... In fact, that burger ended up being my lunch and dinner. One of my goals, now that I'm a half century old, is to really get my daily drinking under control. And, maybe the savings could help me to pay off some of my "cruise debt"

Thank you all so much for being such a big part of my epic journey... I'll be starting to get together my traditional "thank you" list this week, and I will personally thank each and every one of you who commented along the way... If you want to be a part of the Ay Tee El family, just head on over to the Floataway Lounge and join the party there. But, just a note, it's mostly just boring day to day type stuff, and sometimes personal in nature...

Again, I wish this cruise could've gone on forever, but real life will have to prevail. Join me on the new Norwegian Encore, beginning on or about Thanksgiving... Hope to see you all there.........

57 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Six thirty am on Monday morning... Getting prepared for my first day back at work, and it's going to be a long one... I went and did some of my part time job yesterday afternoon, and noticed a sign on the door saying they were closed today for Rosh Hashanah... That meant that I had until tonight actually finish, which was good news. Last night I only had one beer in addition to the one earlier at Holeman and Finch... In fact, that burger ended up being my lunch and dinner. One of my goals, now that I'm a half century old, is to really get my daily drinking under control. And, maybe the savings could help me to pay off some of my "cruise debt"

Thank you all so much for being such a big part of my epic journey... I'll be starting to get together my traditional "thank you" list this week, and I will personally thank each and every one of you who commented along the way... If you want to be a part of the Ay Tee El family, just head on over to the Floataway Lounge and join the party there. But, just a note, it's mostly just boring day to day type stuff, and sometimes personal in nature...

Again, I wish this cruise could've gone on forever, but real life will have to prevail. Join me on the new Norwegian Encore, beginning on or about Thanksgiving... Hope to see you all there.........

Can’t wait for that review! 

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

If you want to be a part of the Ay Tee El family, just head on over to the Floataway Lounge and join the party there. But, just a note, it's mostly just boring day to day type stuff, and sometimes personal in nature...

We cant be that borIng.....there’s almost 3500 posts over there.  Personal? Yes. BorIng.....no way 😀😀😀

Thanks for the great review, Sid.  We haven't cruised Carnival for a while but once all of our NCL Cruise Next certificates are used, may need to give it another try.  We've loved all of our cruises, regardless of the line.  Just wish we could cruise more than once a year.  Thanks again!

On 9/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, sid_9169 said:

I wanted to try the ant egg tacos or the agave worm tacos, but they were $25 each... A little rich for my blood...

I did order some smokey mezcal...

IMG_20190920_174955.thumb.jpg.7c785fb99500a5208439c8cd9e190809.jpg

IMG_20190920_174959.jpg

You are a brave man to try those foods.

22 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Safe travels home Sid! Missed you in the tribe! I leave on Bliss tomorrow so will catch you on the flip side! 

Thanks for another outstanding review of a ship and itinerary that I had no interest in until you sailed! Lol!

Ceilidh,

I forgot to say,  have a GREAT trip on Bliss!!!

Send pix!

N

Sid,

Thanks for another great review and fun times!!  I'm looking forward to your review in November! 

St. Greg, yours too!

Have really enjoyed your review, as always. Sorry your vacation is over but I'm ready to pick back up in ATL to get ideas for our next trip down!  

Hi Sid,

GREAT REVIEW!!  I have followed a few other reviews of yours, and you are just an awesome person to bring us along on your journey.  I will no longer be a lurker!  Definitely a follower for life!  Cant wait for your next review!

3 hours ago, blarko said:

We cant be that borIng.....there’s almost 3500 posts over there.  Personal? Yes. BorIng.....no way 😀😀😀

I agree!   We're definitely not boring, we're actually quite interesting people, I think!

Welcome home, Sid and thanks for another great review.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:06 PM, sid_9169 said:

Annamaria was next on deck to lay one down for me... (Wow, that sounded dirty...) Something with tequila and blackberries...

IMG_20190922_193850.jpg

Looks fantastic, I have lots of pages to catch up on.  Though any drink with blackberries IMO is fantastic.  Loved some they made on the Pride with Gin (and Vodka).  Never thought about trying with Tequila.  Though on the Pride they made so may blackberry cocktails they ran out of blackberries before our cruise was finished.  

We get to sail on the Horizon at the end of October, cant wait.  

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. You have a great writing style that makes the reader feel they are right there with you. Your pictures and commentary make for and epic review. Thanks again!

On 9/29/2019 at 9:52 AM, sid_9169 said:

Thanks to all of you, this "review" is on a trajectory to be my biggest ever... I really appreciate all of you who chimed in along the way, and to all of you "lurkers"... I will thank each and every one of you by username when I return to reality...

I'm sad it's over, so enjoyed reading all your posts.  My work days are going to be really long now without the entertainment 😞  Safe travels!