If passport expires less than 6 months after cruise, will we have problems?

camorelli

We cruise in November 2019 and our passports expire in February 2020.Ā  My dad sent me some travel requirement reminders that he got for work travel and now I'm questioning whether we are ok to use our current passports in November.Ā Ā Ā 

A few highlights from his travel agent for work were:

"Another reminder regarding Passports and International Travel ā€“ your passport must have 6 month remaining validity from your RETURN date in order to leave the US.怀 If it does not you can be denied boarding out of the US or have issues returning to the US."

"Oct. 1, 2020, after some delays. Starting then, the DHS and TSA will only accept REAL ID-compliant IDs and licenses; otherwise, travelers will be required to have a passport when flying domestically."

"The rest of the U.S. states are all currently compliant and are issuing REAL IDs. As long as a traveler has a license issued with the REAL ID requirements (usually designated by a star in the upper portion of the ID), he or she is able to travel domestically without a passport or another form of ID."

"Travelers will begin seeing new signs at airports nationwide in the coming weeks to remind them that REAL ID-compliant licenses or other acceptable forms of ID ā€” such as a valid passport, federal government PIV card, or U.S. military ID ā€” will be mandatory for air travel as of Oct. 1, 2020."

Ā 

I understand that we aren't flying internationally and we aren'tĀ flyingĀ after the Oct 1, 2020 date when these Real ID's will be required.Ā Ā Does anybody knowĀ about passports right now?Ā  If it doesn't expire until February, we should be ok to cruise in November?Ā  Is there a window of time before expiration that I should be aware of where travel/entry in the US isn't guaranteed?Ā  Has anybody else heard of these REAL ID's (REAL ID Act)?Ā  I hadn't until now.Ā  We've been driving a lot lately to vacation destinations so I'm kind of out of the loop with air travel ID requirements.

If there is an emergency and you need to fly home for whatever reason, the time left on your passport might matter wherever you sail.Ā 

Ā 

If you have a real ID licenseĀ and are cruising to the Caribbean this year and there are no unforeseen emergencies you should be good to go.

Ā 

If you are sailing other international itineraries, the time left on your passport could matter greatly.

Ā 

With just 3 months left, I would renew MY passport.Ā 

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 2

I should add that we are cruising out of Tampa to western Caribbean ports only with a return to Tampa.Ā  I guess at this point, I'm not sure we would have enough time (or could be cutting it close) to renew passports.Ā  We're 8 weeks out from our cruise.Ā  Maybe we can go get the Real ID licenses just in case.Ā  Or just bring birth certificates with us too.

Why don't you go to your nearest passport office and visit with them and express your concerns?Ā They are all over the place. And I agree with evendbob. Renew your passport while you still have time. They also have an expedited process that assures you that you will get it far in advance of your cruise date.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

The 6 month requirement is only imposed by certain countries and most especially when arriving by air. It does not apply to cruises for the most part (except Cuba). As long as your passport is valid on the day you return to the US you will be fine. I will let my travel plans dictate when I renew, which means if I'm not planning any travel for a year after expires then I'll let it expire and renew it before we travel (but I am not in a position where I need a fully valid passport at all times).

• Like 4

sorry but I disagree.

1 hour ago, camorelli said:

We cruise in November 2019 and our passports expire in February 2020.Ā  My dad sent me some travel requirement reminders that he got for work travel and now I'm questioning whether we are ok to use our current passports in November.Ā Ā Ā 

A few highlights from his travel agent for work were:

"Another reminder regarding Passports and International Travel ā€“ your passport must have 6 month remaining validity from your RETURN date in order to leave the US.怀 If it does not you can be denied boarding out of the US or have issues returning to the US."

"Oct. 1, 2020, after some delays. Starting then, the DHS and TSA will only accept REAL ID-compliant IDs and licenses; otherwise, travelers will be required to have a passport when flying domestically."

"The rest of the U.S. states are all currently compliant and are issuing REAL IDs. As long as a traveler has a license issued with the REAL ID requirements (usually designated by a star in the upper portion of the ID), he or she is able to travel domestically without a passport or another form of ID."

"Travelers will begin seeing new signs at airports nationwide in the coming weeks to remind them that REAL ID-compliant licenses or other acceptable forms of ID ā€” such as a valid passport, federal government PIV card, or U.S. military ID ā€” will be mandatory for air travel as of Oct. 1, 2020."

Ā 

I understand that we aren't flying internationally and we aren'tĀ flyingĀ after the Oct 1, 2020 date when these Real ID's will be required.Ā Ā Does anybody knowĀ about passports right now?Ā  If it doesn't expire until February, we should be ok to cruise in November?Ā  Is there a window of time before expiration that I should be aware of where travel/entry in the US isn't guaranteed?Ā  Has anybody else heard of these REAL ID's (REAL ID Act)?Ā  I hadn't until now.Ā  We've been driving a lot lately to vacation destinations so I'm kind of out of the loop with air travel ID requirements.

Sorry but I disagree. As long as your passport is valid on the day your cruise returns you are good to go.

Ā 

The 6 month rule is for land vacations. When you are on a cruise you are considered in transit and the 6 month rule does not come into play for "most" of the islands.

Ā 

As someone else said above you do not even need a passport for this cruise if it's a closed loop cruise from a U.S. port.

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The 6 month requirement is only imposed by certain countries and most especially when arriving by air. It does not apply to cruises for the most part (except Cuba). As long as your passport is valid on the day you return to the US you will be fine. I will let my travel plans dictate when I renew, which means if I'm not planning any travel for a year after expires then I'll let it expire and renew it before we travel (but I am not in a position where I need a fully valid passport at all times).

Where can I find the countries list that have that 6 month requirement? Thanks!

Edited by Joe817

Just now, Joe817 said:

Where can I find the countries that have that 6 month requirement? Thanks!

I googled it once and it came up with a list of about 20 countries as I recall (but I didn't count them). You can also go the www.state.gov and look at the info for individual countries for their requirement. (And it should be noted that the 6 month requirement is from the end of your trip, not the beginning, so if you were staying in such a country for a month you would need 7 months validity on the day that you arrive.)

• Like 1

This would not be a big decision for me... I would just renew if I was coming up on the 6 months remaining mark.Ā  Then I don't have to think about, or discuss in great length, my passport for another 10 years.

But there are many others here that love debating the fine points of 6 months remaining on a passport.Ā 

• Like 1

Please note the following from Royal Caribbean's website:

Ā 

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)?

Ā 

For US SailingsĀ -Ā 

U.S. CitizensĀ may sail using their:

• Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driverā€™s license or an identity card.Ā Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

or

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise.Ā 

Ā - Musing About Cruising

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

This would not be a big decision for me... I would just renew if I was coming up on the 6 months remaining mark.Ā  Then I don't have to think about, or discuss in great length, my passport for another 10 years.

But there are many others here that love debating the fine points of 6 months remaining on a passport.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Exactly, just renew. do you plan on any international travel in the next 10 years?Ā 

26 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Ā 

11 minutes ago, coevan said:

Ā 

Ā 

Exactly, just renew. do you plan on any international travel in the next 10 years?Ā 

Everyone's situation is different and if they don't have any travel planned for the foreseeable future at expiry why rush? Just remember to renew it before your next trip. Of course if you need to have a valid passport at all times then renew but many people don't fall into that category.

Earlier this year, I had a friend who was flying from Philadelphia to Peru for a vacation. When he arrived at the Lima airport in Peru, he was sent directly back to the U.S. as his passport, was going to expire in less than 6 months. What a pain. Even though it may be a closed loop cruise, I would get a new passport. There's still time, though it may cost a little more, if it needs to be expediated.Ā 

Ā 

I got a couple of my kids passports this summer. I noticed a news item that the State Department said it was increasing the time people should expect to receive their passports from six weeks to eight weeks. So if you get on it now, you can still renew them before your cruise.Ā 

Ā 

I seem to recall there might be some advantage to renewing over getting a new one, can't remember if it was a fee or some sort of requirement, but I remember thinking it's better to renew, maybe faster or easier, whatever, I'd just do it.Ā 

Ā 

If for whatever reason the passport fails to arrive in time, just take our old standby, the original birth certificate and driver's license. Those are fine for closed loop cruises from the US.Ā 

Ā 

Only one of my kids is less than 16, the age where passports are issued for ten years instead of five years for 15 and younger, so I don't bother with passports until they turn 16. I figure it's a nice thing to give them, and by 26, they should be old enough to renew it on their own.

56 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

I got a couple of my kids passports this summer. I noticed a news item that the State Department said it was increasing the time people should expect to receive their passports from six weeks to eight weeks. So if you get on it now, you can still renew them before your cruise.Ā 

Ā 

I seem to recall there might be some advantage to renewing over getting a new one, can't remember if it was a fee or some sort of requirement, but I remember thinking it's better to renew, maybe faster or easier, whatever, I'd just do it.Ā 

Ā 

If for whatever reason the passport fails to arrive in time, just take our old standby, the original birth certificate and driver's license. Those are fine for closed loop cruises from the US.Ā 

Ā 

Only one of my kids is less than 16, the age where passports are issued for ten years instead of five years for 15 and younger, so I don't bother with passports until they turn 16. I figure it's a nice thing to give them, and by 26, they should be old enough to renew it on their own.

A renewal may be done by mail and may be done 15 years from the issue date of a 10 year passport (so 5 years). If the passport is expired longer than that then it needs to be applied for in person which carries an extra processing fee.

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Renewing or not isn't a big decision for us.Ā  We planned on renewing after our trip.Ā  We're beyond the 6 month mark.Ā  Renewing now, instead of after the trip, within 8 weeks is a concern.Ā  I was trying to see if I could just use what we have currently have rather than worry that new passports might not come in time.Ā  It still seems like I could use what we have and take our birth certificates just in case since it's just a closed-loop cruise out of Tampa.Ā  I do see that September is supposed to be a quicker turnaround time.Ā  Just need to decide if we want to risk renewing now in time, pay the expedited fees or cross our fingers with current passports and birth certificates.Ā  I do appreciate all of the help with this.

2 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

Earlier this year, I had a friend who was flying from Philadelphia to Peru for a vacation. When he arrived at the Lima airport in Peru, he was sent directly back to the U.S. as his passport, was going to expire in less than 6 months. What a pain. Even though it may be a closed loop cruise, I would get a new passport. There's still time, though it may cost a little more, if it needs to be expediated.Ā 

Ā 

Apples and oranges. You friend flew to Peru and tried to enter the county thus the 6 month rule. Sailing from a US port and back is a different as others have said.Ā