If passport expires less than 6 months after cruise, will we have problems?

camorelli

You can check with the Embassy or Consulate or webpage for each country you will visit.

It they want 6 months validity, then you need it.  I find that in most cases, it is countries where a visa is not required.  But you can stay up to 90 days without one.

They just want to make sure you can go home, even if you overstay your 90 days a bit.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:11 AM, Illbcruzn4life said:

sorry but I disagree.

Sorry but I disagree. As long as your passport is valid on the day your cruise returns you are good to go.

The 6 month rule is for land vacations. When you are on a cruise you are considered in transit and the 6 month rule does not come into play for "most" of the islands.

As someone else said above you do not even need a passport for this cruise if it's a closed loop cruise from a U.S. port.

Link please

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clo said:

I can't predict what travel I'm doing past next spring so I sure can't for ten years.  It's a small price to pay in the grand scheme of travel and I'm befuddled by those who would let theirs expire.

I always have a good idea of what travel we can do and will do. Prior to obtaining our passports in 2015 I knew that we wanted to travel internationally by air at some point but I also knew that it wasn't going to happen while we had 5 kids at home. Our travel is always planned out well in advance, and plans are made at least a year ahead of time. As I said, if we have nothing planned when our passports expire I see no reason to be in a hurry to renew them since we aren't yet in a position where travel "at the drop of a hat" is a possibility for us.

I don't get why this is a big deal. My daughter got her passport two days before she turned one month old. She didn't need it until 2.5 months later, but I have always had a valid passport the last 20+ years and why shouldn't she? It will only be valid for 3 years, but so what? An adult passport is only vaild for 5 years in Sweden, doesn't matter much to me. I just get a new one when the old expire.

3 years ago I had to get a new passport, ESTA, drivers licens and Visa Card because I took my wifes surrname when we got married. All of the above was less then one year old, nothing to cry about.

1 hour ago, Extra Kim said:

I don't get why this is a big deal. My daughter got her passport two days before she turned one month old. She didn't need it until 2.5 months later, but I have always had a valid passport the last 20+ years and why shouldn't she? It will only be valid for 3 years, but so what? An adult passport is only vaild for 5 years in Sweden, doesn't matter much to me. I just get a new one when the old expire.

3 years ago I had to get a new passport, ESTA, drivers licens and Visa Card because I took my wifes surrname when we got married. All of the above was less then one year old, nothing to cry about.

I don't see it as a big deal at all. If I need to renew when my passport expires in 6 years then I will renew it, if I don't need to renew it I won't. I have no pressing need to always have a valid passport in my possession.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, camorelli said:

I should add that we are cruising out of Tampa to western Caribbean ports only with a return to Tampa.  I guess at this point, I'm not sure we would have enough time (or could be cutting it close) to renew passports.  We're 8 weeks out from our cruise.  Maybe we can go get the Real ID licenses just in case.  Or just bring birth certificates with us too.

in this case you don't need to worry about the passport expiring 6 months after your sail date.

We just cruised with a passport that expired on the last day of our cruise and had no problems (western itinerary out of POM). My own passport expired a month after our cruise ended. I just applied for a renewal for our Thanksgiving cruise.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

We just got ours renewed.  We chose expedited processing and got the new passports in less than 2 weeks.  Personally, I wouldn't leave the country without a valid passport.

OP's passports are valid, will be valid during the cruise and will still be valid 3 months after the cruise.

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

OP's passports are valid, will be valid during the cruise and will still be valid 3 months after the cruise.

Except in some places that doesn't make it valid for travel.  My passport was valid, it would have been valid during my upcoming cruise, it would have been still be valid for 6 months minus one week when my cruise is over.  And if I hadn't gotten it renewed, that week would have caused me to miss the cruise.

I'd rather not take that chance, nor advise other people take that chance.  YMMV

8 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'd rather not take that chance, nor advise other people take that chance.  YMMV

I wouldn't take that chance either...and I'm not afraid of lots of kinds of risks.  That could be a very expensive chance to take.

10 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Except in some places that doesn't make it valid for travel.  My passport was valid, it would have been valid during my upcoming cruise, it would have been still be valid for 6 months minus one week when my cruise is over.  And if I hadn't gotten it renewed, that week would have caused me to miss the cruise.

10 hours ago, clo said:

I wouldn't take that chance either...and I'm not afraid of lots of kinds of risks.  That could be a very expensive chance to take.

It's not a chance at all as long as you know the rules for the area where you are traveling (of course there is nothing wrong with renewing if that is what you choose to do).

14 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Except the OP is taking a close loop cruise in the western hemisphere.

So it does make it valid for travel.  Especially since they don't even NEED a passport for that cruise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Yeah, with should be without.  Thanks, I'm going to see if I can edit it.

Nope, too late.  Well, if that's the worst mistake I make this year it'll be a heckuva year.

I didn't even notice the omission. In any event millions of people leave the country every year without a passport at all, so not having a passport with 6 month on it isn't always a concern for everyone. You are correct in your earlier post that not everything always goes as planned but for a 7 day closed loop cruise in the Caribbean it's hard to imagine any scenario where having a month or more on one's passport wouldn't be sufficient to return home (and even only having a couple of weeks when you get right down to it). Still, if it's your choice to always have 6 months there is nothing wrong with that. We all have to do what we feel comfortable doing (within the law and cruise lines' rules, of course).

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:03 AM, Extra Kim said:

Who's crying?  I simply asked a question to see if others understood the rule better than I do.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:17 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

We just got ours renewed.  We chose expedited processing and got the new passports in less than 2 weeks.  Personally, I wouldn't leave the country without a valid passport.

Thanks.  We do have valid passports.

Thank you all for the responses.  After reading through these and thinking about what we have and where we're going, my husband and I decided that we're ok with what we have.  We have valid passports.  We'll take them, our drivers licenses and our birth certificates.  I feel confident that we'll be ok.  We'll be on a closed loop Caribbean cruise that starts and ends in Tampa.   And we'll renew once we return, in plenty of time before they expire.  Worrying about whether the passports come in time isn't what I want to do for the next 2 months.  I'm ready to sit back and get excited for our cruise now.  :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, camorelli said:

Who's crying?  I simply asked a question to see if others understood the rule better than I do.

This topic comes up all the time and it's always the same. Some say do it and some say you don't have to. Some say it's expensive, some say it's only $10/year. 

I just don't get the fuss about it, just get a passport and be done with it.

12 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

This topic comes up all the time and it's always the same. Some say do it and some say you don't have to. Some say it's expensive, some say it's only $10/year. 

I just don't get the fuss about it, just get a passport and be done with it.

There was no fuss.  I wasn’t asking passports vs no passports.  I was asking about the 6 month “rule.”  You could simply scroll on by to the next post.  Comments like yours don’t help people who are asking for help.

• Like 1