AT&T international plan in Middle East and Asia

compozer

I have used it on all my trips to China...no problems at all. I'm automatically signed up for this service that only apply's when it's used each 24 period of time ($10.00)..on days I don't use it...no charge.

Is your concern about getting better cell reception, or being able to use your phone more (talk, text, data) at a lower price? International plans don't really change any reception you get, so if you went back to the place you had poor AT&T reception before, you're likely to have poor AT&T reception again. The plans just make it more affordable to use talk/text/data outside of your normal geographic/coverage parameters. 

• Like 1

I like to use it for data.   I would do the monthly plan.   We will be on a ship but I would use it in ports.  I know I can download maps ahead of time but I usually don't.  I have used it to find a scuba shop and things like that.    I have minutes on the ship but I like to check emails and stay in touch with family and friends by FB when we have extra time in ports.    I had the monthly plan several times in the UK and it was great but like I said, I could not get any signal in half the ports on our Baltic one.   I use Whatapp for the few calls I make. 

I have never heard of Google Fi - I saved the link and will read it over tonight.   thanks

Whether you can get a good signal or not can be due to your phone.  Different frequencies/bands/channels are used in different countries.  If your phone does not have the one used mostly in X country, you will not get a good signal.

Although so many places have wifi these days, I would go that route first.

But if you travel a lot, switch to T-mobile.  Unlimited texts, unlimited data (guaranteed 2G speed) and 25 cent per minute calling, in over 210 countries.

Recently, I have used my phone with T-mobile in Korea, Cambodia, Laos, Romania, UK, and Kenya.  No extra charges.

• Like 3

If you go to the AT&T website it will show you where the $10.00 passport service is available.

I say this because it is not available from all countries so if you go that route you will be charged more if the country is not on the list.  I print out a copy for my use.

I cruise a lot and have AT&T and where they provide service by and large I have not had issues.

If you had issues in the Baltic I am thinking you have some type of issue with your phone.

Keith

This may be something that you already tried. But when we went to Japan, we signed up for an ATT international plan and it took me until the second day until I was able to figure out how to get a signal. Couldn't connect at all the first day so the second day, using Wifi calling at the hotel I had to call ATT. The lady on the phone walked me through it and to be honest, right now I can't remember exactly what we did but somewhere in the setting is the option to reset network settings. I had to do that in Japan to have my phone start connecting to the Japanese networks. Believe I had to do it again when I got back to the US to connect back to US networks.

If you are staying for more than a few days in a country, it might be worthwhile to get a local pre-paid SIM card and plan.  I do this in Hong Kong, the UAE and the UK among other places.   It's a bit more effort, but I found it to be quite worth the time, especially for larger amounts of data.

For example, at the airports and cruiseports in Hong Kong, you can get the SIM and have it installed and set up.  Ditto with flying into Dubai and other airports.

An excellent resource on pre-paid and travel SIMs can be found HERE:

https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

• 1 month later...

I have ATT and have the newest iPhone.  I will be in Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific.  I might need to call customers from the ship or in ports.  I saw the side for Google but I am confused about how much it will cost per call. Can someone explain?

Thanks

On 9/25/2019 at 12:17 PM, FlyerTalker said:

If you are staying for more than a few days in a country, it might be worthwhile to get a local pre-paid SIM card and plan.  I do this in Hong Kong, the UAE and the UK among other places.   It's a bit more effort, but I found it to be quite worth the time, especially for larger amounts of data.

For example, at the airports and cruiseports in Hong Kong, you can get the SIM and have it installed and set up.  Ditto with flying into Dubai and other airports.

An excellent resource on pre-paid and travel SIMs can be found HERE:

https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

You have to have an unlocked phone to do this.

Most carriers will not unlock your phone unless you have paid in full for the phone itself.

T-Mobile will unlock if you ask.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

You have to have an unlocked phone to do this.

Most carriers will not unlock your phone unless you have paid in full for the phone itself.

T-Mobile will unlock if you ask.

As will most other carriers if you have been with them for a year or so.  Main thing is not to just ask for an unlock, but to explain that you are traveling and want to use local sim cards.

Or get some of the cheap unlocked phones you can find almost anywhere.

Edited by FlyerTalker

On 9/19/2019 at 9:22 AM, SRF said:

Whether you can get a good signal or not can be due to your phone.  Different frequencies/bands/channels are used in different countries.  If your phone does not have the one used mostly in X country, you will not get a good signal.

Although so many places have wifi these days, I would go that route first.

But if you travel a lot, switch to T-mobile.  Unlimited texts, unlimited data (guaranteed 2G speed) and 25 cent per minute calling, in over 210 countries.

Recently, I have used my phone with T-mobile in Korea, Cambodia, Laos, Romania, UK, and Kenya.  No extra charges.

Unlimited data !!!!!! I've always liked AT&T but we just came back from the snowbird itinerary (Quebec-Fort Lauderdale) and went way over the data plan I had purchased (their largest one)...trying to check our Ring motion camera on our driveway due to the fires going on in our area. Some cruiser we noticed in the lounge was checking his (8) cameras...I guess he didn't have AT&T....Looks like we may have to change carriers...Oh what to do for next time so upset with AT&T they even suspended my account after I went over data usage and several calls to them from the ship and again once I got to Fort Lauderdale to finally straighten it out and unlock it...but still had to pay for the overage. Not happy !!!!

Be sure you note that little caveat with the "unlimited" data from T-mobile.  The only guarantee on that is for 2G transmission speeds.  Which is a FAR cry from the speeds of 4G, or even 3G.  Try to download video at that speed and you will sit for hours.

Here's a graphic comparing the differences: 

white_paper_c11-520862_17.jpg

48 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Unlimited data !!!!!! I've always liked AT&T but we just came back from the snowbird itinerary (Quebec-Fort Lauderdale) and went way over the data plan I had purchased (their largest one)...trying to check our Ring motion camera on our driveway due to the fires going on in our area.

Two questions:

1) Did you know how large your quota was for data?

2) Did you monitor your data usage as you went along?

FWIW, there are numerous apps that will track your data usage, so you won't be surprised.

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Two questions:

1) Did you know how large your quota was for data?

2) Did you monitor your data usage as you went along?

FWIW, there are numerous apps that will track your data usage, so you won't be surprised.

Yes...but in my situation with fires and evacuations going on near my home and my adult children's homes...my rational thinking went up in smoke.

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Be sure you note that little caveat with the "unlimited" data from T-mobile.  The only guarantee on that is for 2G transmission speeds.  Which is a FAR cry from the speeds of 4G, or even 3G.  Try to download video at that speed and you will sit for hours.

Here's a graphic comparing the differences: 

white_paper_c11-520862_17.jpg

However, depending on the country, I have even gotten LTE speeds when traveling.

But yes, only 2G is guaranteed.  But if you need higher speed, it is available.  Yes, for a cost. 🙂