Sydney Airport to Rocks Hotel (Hilton)

sigsky

I found a recent website (GetYourGuide.com) which is advertising shared shuttles from the airport to CBD hotels for very reasonable prices, for my wife & I, less than 25 USD.  You have to go to a pre-determined location and look for a guy with a sign, OK, been there, done that.  I know these could mean we have to sit on a bus while we stop at a bunch of other hotels to let people off but we will have plenty of time and it's one way to see the city.  Not sure what taxi fare is but I have seen everything from 25-35 USD all the way up to 120 AUD. I'm sure GetYourGuide is a broker using local providers but that's not necessarily bad.  Is anyone aware of this operation and is it safe to use?  I'm going to email to see what response I get.

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, sigsky said:

I found a recent website (GetYourGuide.com) which is advertising shared shuttles from the airport to CBD hotels for very reasonable prices, for my wife & I, less than 25 USD.  You have to go to a pre-determined location and look for a guy with a sign, OK, been there, done that.  I know these could mean we have to sit on a bus while we stop at a bunch of other hotels to let people off but we will have plenty of time and it's one way to see the city.  Not sure what taxi fare is but I have seen everything from 25-35 USD all the way up to 120 AUD. I'm sure GetYourGuide is a broker using local providers but that's not necessarily bad.  Is anyone aware of this operation and is it safe to use?  I'm going to email to see what response I get.

Thanks in advance

I strongly advise not to use a shuttle,they have a bad reputation in Sydney. Not a lot of people have much joy.

The cheapest way and probably the easiest would be the train.

I love my car but if I go anywhere in Sydney I use the train, clean ,very safe and well priced.

There’s a train station under the airport and five stations direct to town hall station where the Hilton is. About 20 minutes.

Taxi or Uber would be next best but traffic is bad in Sydney.

Edited by Chiliburn

Rough prices

Taxi about $60 (though someone recently reported paying $100 after getting caught in peak hour)

Train $17 each

or your shuttle for $25 ea.

i guess it depends on your budget, mobility and time.

The Hilton isn’t at the Rocks, and is about $10-15 in a taxi from there to the OPT

Edited by GUT2407

22 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Thanks I haven’t used it for a while.

Apparently the tipping point between train and taxi is 3 People.

On TripAdvisor shuttles from the airport in Sydney are getting very bad reports.

I sure there’s some good one but the majority don’t turn up ,dirty,don’t speak English,dump you off in a bad place.something like a third world.

If it’s not the train- taxi or Uber,door to door service.

Edited by Chiliburn

11 minutes ago, sigsky said:

The big problem with the train guys is the bags.  We're headed for a 30 day cruise.

Sorry it's the Holiday Inn, not the Hilton

Holiday inn old Sydney town the rocks ?

Train would be a bit harder as there’s a long walk from circular quay train station.

Will a shuttle take you to the rocks? I have heard some dump you off at a taxi stand at town hall .

Taxi or Uber after a long flight in a strange city.

Ahh Holiday Inn great spot if your cruise leaves from the OPT, it will cost you a little more than the Hilton, but I’d look at a cab.

One thing that may change my mind on that is what day and time to you fly in?

We are arriving at 8 am on October 16, a Wendesday and leaving from White Bay Cruise terminal.  The cruise ends at OPT so I figured we might as well use the Holiday Inn for both.  I just got a lengthy reply from the shuttle company (Sydney Airport Arrival Shuttle), so that is encouraging.  If they don't show up, I can always take a taxi at that point and pay $25 for the lesson.

11 minutes ago, sigsky said:

We are arriving at 8 am on October 16, a Wendesday and leaving from White Bay Cruise terminal.  The cruise ends at OPT so I figured we might as well use the Holiday Inn for both.  I just got a lengthy reply from the shuttle company (Sydney Airport Arrival Shuttle), so that is encouraging.  If they don't show up, I can always take a taxi at that point and pay $25 for the lesson.

8am a Taxi may even cost a bit more than I quoted above, that is rush hour.

I don’t have much experience with and shuttle companies and am pretty sure I have never used that one. I hope it all works out fine as it seems to most of the time.

Did they say if they take you all the way to the Hotel?

13 minutes ago, sigsky said:

Make sure they will take you to the door.

So have you worked out how to get to white bay?Its nowhere near circular quay.

1 hour ago, sigsky said:

I hope you will report back here as to how things work out.  TIA

Sydney Airport shuttle outsources to various sub contractors so it's a lottery.

The reputation is that they just leave you to deal and are very hard to contact when things go wrong, which happens frequently.  I stayed at Old Sydney a few weeks ago and was sitting near someone who was quite distressed as they were looking like missing their flight because the shuttle had not arrived.  

Her comment to me was, should have just known when they were 40 mins late picking us up from the airport but they blamed the traffic .

• Like 1

A question regarding taxis and peak travel time.   We arrive at 6:05 AM and from past experience we think we will be done with customs and immigration by 7:15 to 7:30.   We are thinking of finding a place in the airport to relax and have coffee to pass some time. What time does peak traffic  hours typical end?   Do taxi companies add a peak travel fee to normal rate or is it regular rate that just adds up due to traffic congestion and waiting?   We will be traveling to the Four Seasons if that makes any difference.

TIA

Chris

3 hours ago, pedirn said:

A question regarding taxis and peak travel time.   We arrive at 6:05 AM and from past experience we think we will be done with customs and immigration by 7:15 to 7:30.   We are thinking of finding a place in the airport to relax and have coffee to pass some time. What time does peak traffic  hours typical end?   Do taxi companies add a peak travel fee to normal rate or is it regular rate that just adds up due to traffic congestion and waiting?   We will be traveling to the Four Seasons if that makes any difference.

TIA

Chris

There’s a couple of coffee shops in the arrivals area after customs. Or if you want better just catch a lift up to departures.

You would be better going straight to the Four seasons,I think it’s the best in Sydney.

Brave the traffic,probably 30-40 minutes,drop your bags and walk down to the rocks.

If you’re interested in the train,circular quay station is right at the Four seasons,100 meters .6 stations direct and about 25 minutes.$AU19 each.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, Chiliburn said:

Make sure they will take you to the door.

So have you worked out how to get to white bay?Its nowhere near circular quay.

I never responded to this.  They say they will take us to the door.  White Bay is nowhere near anything!  Our cruise will end at OPT and since a cab ride to White Bay seemed unavoidable it didn't really seem to matter much where we stayed.  Thus the Holiday Inn for both nights.  Haven't decided what we will do but I will try to remember to report back mid November.

To get to white bay and you are staying at old Sydney town taxi or Uber.

There is a ferry from kings street wharf and sometimes there’s a shuttle bus to central station or the airport.

Kings street wharf is darling harbour that’s a big tourist are.

For something different you could stay there before your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a private driver from Viator when we were over there 2 years ago.  Only downfall was we had told them several times that we would have 4 large suitcases, carry ones and backpacks (was going over for 5 weeks) and they sent a town car.  We made it work and our driver was really great.  We stayed in the Rocks also.  Sorry I don't remember the exact amount, but you can find it on their website.

On 10/7/2019 at 9:38 PM, tribefan said:

We did a private driver from Viator when we were over there 2 years ago.  Only downfall was we had told them several times that we would have 4 large suitcases, carry ones and backpacks (was going over for 5 weeks) and they sent a town car.  We made it work and our driver was really great.  We stayed in the Rocks also.  Sorry I don't remember the exact amount, but you can find it on their website.

Do you know which company the driver worked for? I would not have been happy. (Viator is a third party vendor who only resells the services of providers, after adding on their commission.) Were you compensated for the error?

On 9/25/2019 at 2:03 PM, sigsky said:

I never responded to this.  They say they will take us to the door.  White Bay is nowhere near anything!  Our cruise will end at OPT and since a cab ride to White Bay seemed unavoidable it didn't really seem to matter much where we stayed.  Thus the Holiday Inn for both nights.  Haven't decided what we will do but I will try to remember to report back mid November.

Well, I found another couple on our same flight to Sydney who are staying at the same hotel overnight before the same cruise.  We will share a cab to the hotel and to the ship the following day.  Therefore, I have cancelled the shuttle reservation and there will be no follow up to my little adventure.  That is all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sippican said:

Do you know which company the driver worked for? I would not have been happy. (Viator is a third party vendor who only resells the services of providers, after adding on their commission.) Were you compensated for the error?

No I don't remember, but it all worked out in the end, he was able to get all our luggage in the car and we made it to the hotel with no problems!!  All was good!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We have not tried yet, but plan to use Uber.  Uber cost is about 20% less than taxi.  Train cost for two people is not significantly cheaper.  It involves some walking (not door to door), and may be cumbersome with luggage.  Therefore, Uber is the best option for us.  Only challenger is finding our Uber car without Wi-Fi (May lose signal once outside the airport building).  One trick is to have my husband stay inside the Arrival building in front of the entrance door with his iPhone while I go outside to locate our car from a line of vehicles.  We used this method when we visited Bucharest’s Village Museum (located in an outdoor park near Hard Rock Cafe).