What time for independent excursions in Geiranger?

jtmalt

It's been quite a few years since my last cruise, and this will be my first on Holland America, on the Nieuw Statendam.  We'll be porting in Geiranger one day in June, and we'll be the only ship in port that day.  I'd like to arrange an independent excursion, but I recall from previous cruises that guests with ship-sponsored excursions get priority in getting of the ship.  With a port time of 7am, what time can I reasonably expect to have my feet on shore?

Edited by jtmalt

It depends on whether the ship is docking or will be tendering. Last time I was there the Prinsendam tendered, while a huge ship was at a new (to me, anyway) dock. 
If you are docked, then you can go right ashore. If tendering, you may have to wait quite a while from such a large ship. 

• Like 1

We were there in June, on PDam, and while we anchored, another ship, a huge one  (I think it was MSC) “docked”. The port has a sort of dock-cum- jetway that they put out to allow pax to walk to shore.

I’m sure someone will be by soon to give a more technical name to the contraption.

• Like 1

According to a ships-in-port site I just found, an MSC ship will be arriving in Geiranger 2 hours after the Nieuw Statendam.  I'm also finding reference that HAL doesn't get to use the Seawalk so I guess we'll be tendering. So, circling back to the original question, if we anchor at 7am and have to tender, do you think we will we be off the ship in time for a 9am independent excursion?