Scenic cruising in Antarctica...worth it?

psygist

25 minutes ago, Trend said:

Wow thanks 

Your tour you booked in Falklands to Volunteer Point did you book this privately and how far before your cruise did you book?

I had to do it with the cruise ship as there are 2 ships in port when we were there and apparently the private tours were long long since booked.  The cruise ship price was outrageous at 2x the cost of private tours but that is what you expect from the money hungry bean counters on cruise ships and I don't expect to be back in the Falklands any time soon.  This will be my 2nd trip to the Falklands on a year (my wife's 1st which is why I was willing to pay the outrageous price) as I did an expedition trip to the Falklands where we spent 3 days including 2 days on the outer islands there and also to S Georgia (9 days I think) in December 2018.  S Georgia was my #1 trip on my bucket list and it was even better than I imagined that it could possibly be.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

21 minutes ago, Trend said:

Scubacruiserx2 thanks for the heads up but we are not going till February 2021 so Would you think a year out I will be ok to book, meaning booking this coming February for the following.

We usually let the tour people decide the policy . They will book you when they feel like it . We didn't pay until after the tour and payment is in Pounds Sterling . There are no ATM's on the island so you have to bring it with you . When we bought things in a store they give you change in Falkland Island Pounds that can only be used there .

DSC05783_zpsidmptqjx.jpg

1 hour ago, Trend said:

Thanks again we did contact Patrick Watts and he replied promptly saying yes he could reserve this far out. So again many thanks for the heads up that is what is wonderful about CC and sharing.

Super ! We didn't book our December cruise until August last year so we had to scramble a bit to book private tours . In 2013 we did the SA cruise on the Zaandam without Antarctica and we were suppose to go to The Falkland Islands but they substituted Puerto Madryn instead . Change of topic but we have some friends in Toronto who we met on CC when we did a Baltic in 2006 . We set up the Saint Petersburg tour and they set up the Berlin tour which worked great !

Our 1 st SA cruise was Santiago to Ushuaia in 2007 on the NCL Dream . 2013 was an around the Horn Santiago to BA . The The Falklands were canceled for weather on that trip . Last year Ushuaia was cancelled for weather on Christmas Day and we didn't get all the way around the Horn but left early to try to beat a storm to Antarctica . It worked and we had great weather when we got there - 12 hours early ! 😎