Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host Bonjour

Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Recommended Posts

Will be in Palma Majorca Nov 22 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Considering taking the Soller Train. Where is the train station located in relation to the cruise bus drop point at the Cathedral?  Is it worth taking the tram to the harbor from Soller?  Is there anything specific to see in Soller and how much time to spend there?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, carlsbadguy said:

Will be in Palma Majorca Nov 22 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Considering taking the Soller Train. Where is the train station located in relation to the cruise bus drop point at the Cathedral?  Is it worth taking the tram to the harbor from Soller?  Is there anything specific to see in Soller and how much time to spend there?  

Hi

It is a 20 mins easy walk (see google maps) to the train station to Soller in the Plaza d'Espanya .This will take you to the center of Soller ,yes it is worth taking the tram to Port de Soller.

Soller is a lovely Majorcan village and is well worth spending an hour there. at that time of the year there will be much to do in Port de Soller as it is the end of the season.

You will have plenty of time as the first train is not until 10.30 am.

 http://trendesoller.com/en/timetable/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 11:17 AM, edinburgher said:

For anyone on a repeat visit who has already ticked off the top sights

Edinburgher - good info in your post, thank you. I will be a 1st timer - what would you recommend as "top sights" with 9 hours in port? Thanks, Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FairportNY said:

Mskaufman - interesting, what was your total travel time (hours) for this trip - do the trains run pretty regularly - what was cost. Would you recommend this for a 1st time visit to Palma? Thanks!

 

It was my choice on my first visit.  The fact that we were there on a Sunday and some of the other options were closed influenced the decision.  You would have to google the train site to see the schedule for a given day.  If I remember the correctly, there were three or four to Soller in the morning and the same number back in the afternoon.  Not knowing your interests it is tough to say whether I would recommend it for you.  If it helps, here is a link to some more pictures.

 

https://southerneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/322

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FairportNY said:

Edinburgher - good info in your post, thank you. I will be a 1st timer - what would you recommend as "top sights" with 9 hours in port? Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian,

      I think as a 1st timer in Palma My Preferences would be Valdermossa , Soller and the town of Palma since you have a whole day you can easily do it.

 See Host Jazzbeaux post I think he did the best 1st timer tour you would have more time than him and would be able to do the city of Palma as well ( see further back for his post).

He hired a car but you could do it by train and taxi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FairportNY, can only suggest you look at the posts above for suggestions, and sights such as Tripadvisor, Mallorca/Palma Tourist Info sites and any others which appear in an internet search.

 

Your personal interests, the day of the week and the amount of time you have in port can also influence final choices, as do opening hours, transport options and mobility.

 

We had explored much of the island on land trips so were happy to stay in the city. You have a tougher decision to make, but whatever you decide it should be an enjoyable day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FairportNY said:

Edinburgher - good info in your post, thank you. I will be a 1st timer - what would you recommend as "top sights" with 9 hours in port? Thanks, Brian

Further to my last reply If you have the stamina to go back over my posts on Palma de  Mallorca DIY you will find all the options of how to spend a day in Palma.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2284697-palma-de-mallorca-diy/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catching up on the news page and decided to post this link as Palma is mentioned and info/news could be helpful to anyone looking.

 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/4725/

 

For the "techies" amongst us, this is part of it:

 

The city is also trialling a dedicated app for cruise passengers to help them avoid overcrowded tourist areas. Welcome Palma features a heat map highlighting how busy the city’s main tourist attractions are in real time.

It also has a chatbot to help cruise passengers navigate the city and offer real time suggestions based on which attractions are less crowded.

Ortega revealed the app had helped reduce overcrowding at the city’s main attractions by 11 percent during peak months of August and September.

Cruise passengers are alerted to the app when they disembark in Palma.

 

Edited by edinburgher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, larry_s_taco said:

Bicycling?

Are there places to rent bicycles. If so, how bicycle friendly is the island? 

Thanks

Larry

Mallorca  is the island  where most of the professional  European  cycling teams are based .you have a variety  of road options and cycle  paths .

Look on line to find many companies  that hire bikes and offer tours they will even deliver to the port ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, larry_s_taco said:

What are the local sites that I can see on a bike that you would recommend?

Since I am not a cyclist  I cannot give a recommendation  , but all the company's  hiring  bikes in Palma are very professional. 

   Try to get one that will deliver to the ship, there is a dedicated cycle track from the port to Palma and beyond  goes for about 10 miles right along the sea front, if you want to be more adventurous  head for the mountains  .

 If you look back to some of my previous  posts on Palma de Mallorca diy part 1 you will find something I gave advised before about  cycling  on the island. 

  You could join a group tour also.

Edited by roger b
Missing words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to my previous posts on this board, I have often been asked the bus route to Illetas  beach this is to tell everyone that the bus is now a No 4 not a No 3 route is the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I know the answer to this can highly vary as weather is crazy and unpredictable, but in general, would you expect June 1st to be warm enough to plan a beach day? I'm not asking will it rain, lol, just more along the lines of is it reasonable to think that June 1st is the right season for the beach or is that still too early in the season. Yes, I've checked the average weather forecasts and history, but I was hoping for insight from someone who lives there. Where I live, for example, June 1st would absolutely be a beach day but it would most likely be too cold to swim unless you are really determined. If it's out of the question for a beach day, I'll plan something else, but I can't seem to look away from those beautiful beach photos I'm coming across. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to Palma in June. The ship will be docked from 8-4. We will not be renting a car. Can we do the bus to the  train, and then to the Tram to The port of Soller? How much time would we have to explore the area? Is this realistic if we took  a bus back to the ship?  If not what other recommendations are there?

 

thank you

 

 ML

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DD said:

So I know the answer to this can highly vary as weather is crazy and unpredictable, but in general, would you expect June 1st to be warm enough to plan a beach day? I'm not asking will it rain, lol, just more along the lines of is it reasonable to think that June 1st is the right season for the beach or is that still too early in the season. Yes, I've checked the average weather forecasts and history, but I was hoping for insight from someone who lives there. Where I live, for example, June 1st would absolutely be a beach day but it would most likely be too cold to swim unless you are really determined. If it's out of the question for a beach day, I'll plan something else, but I can't seem to look away from those beautiful beach photos I'm coming across. 

 

Absolutely  a beach day no fears here ,I will be on the beach myself temperature should be 75/80 degrees and the sea temperature around 23 degrees. 

Edited by roger b
Wrong spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mary Louise said:

Going to Palma in June. The ship will be docked from 8-4. We will not be renting a car. Can we do the bus to the  train, and then to the Tram to The port of Soller? How much time would we have to explore the area? Is this realistic if we took  a bus back to the ship?  If not what other recommendations are there?

 

thank you

 

 ML

Hi

 Take the shuttle in to Palma It is a 20 mins easy walk (see google maps) to the train station in Palma to catch the train to Soller in the Plaza d'Espanya .This will take you to the center of Soller ,yes it is worth taking the tram to Port de Soller.

Soller is a lovely Majorcan village and is well worth spending an hour there. 

You will have plenty of time as the first train is not until 10.30 am. Take the Bus back to Palma around 2.30pm

 http://trendesoller.com/en/timetable/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be visiting this town the end of April.  Our time is 4pm-11pm.  Any ideas on what to do with such limited time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, renebfl said:

We will be visiting this town the end of April.  Our time is 4pm-11pm.  Any ideas on what to do with such limited time?

 Palma is the most beautiful city and you will not do better than go to the town Shops are open until 8pm , just drink in the vibe , go for a tapas I can give you somewhere if you want . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggestions would be great.  So that area is walkable from the port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, roger b said:

Hi

 Take the shuttle in to Palma It is a 20 mins easy walk (see google maps) to the train station in Palma to catch the train to Soller in the Plaza d'Espanya .This will take you to the center of Soller ,yes it is worth taking the tram to Port de Soller.

Soller is a lovely Majorcan village and is well worth spending an hour there. 

You will have plenty of time as the first train is not until 10.30 am. Take the Bus back to Palma around 2.30pm

 http://trendesoller.com/en/timetable/

 

Thank you.  Glad to see that we can make it within the timeframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, renebfl said:

Suggestions would be great.  So that area is walkable from the port?

 Palma is walkable from the port if your ship docks at the Gare Martime and not at the new terminal (luck of the draw) 

 My Favorite Tapas Restaurants:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187463-d3164898-Reviews-Gaudeix-Palma_de_Mallorca_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

 

https://ombupalma.com/

 You should book if possible ,if you eat early you should get a table , the area has an abundance of similar restaurants and they are within a 3min walk from where the shuttle will drop you off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 9:29 PM, Mary Louise said:

Going to Palma in June. The ship will be docked from 8-4. We will not be renting a car. Can we do the bus to the  train, and then to the Tram to The port of Soller? How much time would we have to explore the area? Is this realistic if we took  a bus back to the ship?  If not what other recommendations are there?

 

thank you

 

 ML

 

You should check the train schedules for the date you will be in port to make sure the train gets you back in time.  I would say you need to be back in Palma by 2:30 assuming that "all aboard" is 3:30.  I would recommend a taxi from the port to the train station.  Will be faster than the bus.  It cost us something like 8 euros for four of us (2 euros each).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

 

You should check the train schedules for the date you will be in port to make sure the train gets you back in time.  I would say you need to be back in Palma by 2:30 assuming that "all aboard" is 3:30.  I would recommend a taxi from the port to the train station.  Will be faster than the bus.  It cost us something like 8 euros for four of us (2 euros each).

 You will not need the taxi to the station as the first train is not until 10.30 so you will have time to have nice walk to the station from the shuttle drop off point . I have give you the bus times and route back leave around 2.30 pm.

https://www.tib.org/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/211

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...