Jump to content

Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW


Host Bonjour
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted this in the Italy forum by mistake 😳...

Looking to get an insiders perspective on traveling to Palma to embark on MSC cruise for Sept 2nd. We arrive in Barcelona the morning of the 1st and would love to spend the night there before heading to Palma. I've always read that flying in on day of departure is too risky. Would that be true with this short haul flight from Barcelona to Palma?  It doesn't look like the airport is far from the terminal..

Thanks kindly for any input. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MacCruising2018 said:

Posted this in the Italy forum by mistake 😳...

Looking to get an insiders perspective on traveling to Palma to embark on MSC cruise for Sept 2nd. We arrive in Barcelona the morning of the 1st and would love to spend the night there before heading to Palma. I've always read that flying in on day of departure is too risky. Would that be true with this short haul flight from Barcelona to Palma?  It doesn't look like the airport is far from the terminal..

Thanks kindly for any input. 

It is a easy 45 min flight and is 30 mins in taxi ride to the cruise terminal,  we just did it last week took 8,20am  flight and was on the ship at 12.00 noon

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Roger,

We will  be in Palma for a few days in November and looking to visit the Rafa Nadal museum in Manacor.  We will be staying in Old Town without a car.  What would be the best way to get there?  It does not look like the tours will be running after Oct.

 

Thanks for your help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2022 at 1:55 AM, newhopecruiser said:

Hi Roger,

We will  be in Palma for a few days in November and looking to visit the Rafa Nadal museum in Manacor.  We will be staying in Old Town without a car.  What would be the best way to get there?  It does not look like the tours will be running after Oct.

 

Thanks for your help

Hi , i just replied on the roll call,  the easy way get a bus from the main bus station which you can walk to if you are staying in the old town ,it is the 501 and takes about 1 hour and cost around 10 eu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello - We are on RCCL Wonder of the Seas now.  When we reach Palma, we'd like to do the train to Soller + tram return to Palma.  Is it walking distance from pier to train station or will we need transport?
Also how long is return on tram?  I've read 1 hour to Soller on the train. It also appears I can buy tix in advance online.   Thank you so very much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bbfgator said:

Hello - We are on RCCL Wonder of the Seas now.  When we reach Palma, we'd like to do the train to Soller + tram return to Palma.  Is it walking distance from pier to train station or will we need transport?
Also how long is return on tram?  I've read 1 hour to Soller on the train. It also appears I can buy tix in advance online.   Thank you so very much.

Hi , if you look back on this thread I have written  a few ideas of how to do this trip.

     The train station  is a 20min drive  from the pier  or get the shuttle  into Palma  and then you could walk to the station or you will have to get a taxi, the best way back to Palma taxi or bus from port  de Soller ,it only about a 35 min drive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bbfgator said:

Hello - We are on RCCL Wonder of the Seas now.  When we reach Palma, we'd like to do the train to Soller + tram return to Palma.  Is it walking distance from pier to train station or will we need transport?
Also how long is return on tram?  I've read 1 hour to Soller on the train. It also appears I can buy tix in advance online.   Thank you so very much.

I may have misunderstood your post, if so I apologize.  But the tram goes from Soller to the beach and back.  It is a short ride.  It does not go to Palma.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, marazul said:

I may have misunderstood your post, if so I apologize.  But the tram goes from Soller to the beach and back.  It is a short ride.  It does not go to Palma.

Yes you are correct  tram goes from Soller to Port de Soller and back . If wanted to spend a little time in Palma get a taxi or bus back from P de Soller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, roger b said:

Yes you are correct  tram goes from Soller to Port de Soller and back . If wanted to spend a little time in Palma get a taxi or bus back from P de Soller.

This the best way to do it :

     Shuttle   to the Cathedral 

     Walk to station 10.30am train 

     Walk around center of Soller Then get the tram to P de Soller

      Have lunch by the sea 

      Bus or taxi back to Palma.you should  be able to get a couple of hours in         Palma

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 2:58 AM, roger b said:

Hi , i just replied on the roll call,  the easy way get a bus from the main bus station which you can walk to if you are staying in the old town ,it is the 501 and takes about 1 hour and cost around 10 eu

Thanks Roger,

I will check out the bus schedule.  Do you know if the museum is within walking distance to the bus terminal in Manacor?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, newhopecruiser said:

Thanks Roger,

I will check out the bus schedule.  Do you know if the museum is within walking distance to the bus terminal in Manacor?

 

Hi , it is a 14 min walk from where you get off the bux , look at google maps will give you everything  you need 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Roger - My husband and I are sailing on Royal Caribbean Wonder of the Seas in June. We will be in Palma De Mallorca on June 6, 2022 and our ship scheduled excursion just got cancelled. It was a Catamaran trip to one of the beaches. This is only our 2nd cruise and our first time on a Mediterranean cruise. We have only ever booked excursions through the ship, so we don't have much DIY experience, but I think we would be quite capable. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, obx-mom said:

Hi Roger - My husband and I are sailing on Royal Caribbean Wonder of the Seas in June. We will be in Palma De Mallorca on June 6, 2022 and our ship scheduled excursion just got cancelled. It was a Catamaran trip to one of the beaches. This is only our 2nd cruise and our first time on a Mediterranean cruise. We have only ever booked excursions through the ship, so we don't have much DIY experience, but I think we would be quite capable. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much! 

Follow up question - I've been reading through your posts and saw lots of awesome ideas. Is it possible to take a taxi from the cruise dock to the the train, spend a few hours in Soller, then take a taxi to the beach (Illetas)? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, obx-mom said:

Follow up question - I've been reading through your posts and saw lots of awesome ideas. Is it possible to take a taxi from the cruise dock to the the train, spend a few hours in Soller, then take a taxi to the beach (Illetas)? 

Hi , I am afraid you will not be able to do both as you will be out of time ,the train starts around 10.15 am and you could not get back to the beach before 3pm and you would be very rushed around with no time to take up the charms of the village of Soller.

   If you are set on the Catamaran there are two companies that offer and are easy to get to from the port.

 https://magic-catamarans.com/es/

 

https://www.oasiscatamaran.com/en/

 

I have never been , but they stop in the bay where I live and seem a fun experience , If you have never been to Mallorca before it might be an idea to do the boat trip and then spend a little time in the town?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2022 at 3:26 AM, roger b said:

Hi , I am afraid you will not be able to do both as you will be out of time ,the train starts around 10.15 am and you could not get back to the beach before 3pm and you would be very rushed around with no time to take up the charms of the village of Soller.

   If you are set on the Catamaran there are two companies that offer and are easy to get to from the port.

 https://magic-catamarans.com/es/

 

https://www.oasiscatamaran.com/en/

 

I have never been , but they stop in the bay where I live and seem a fun experience , If you have never been to Mallorca before it might be an idea to do the boat trip and then spend a little time in the town?

 

 

Thanks for the info! I think we would rather do the train or a beach day.

 

Since the return train isn't until after we need to be back at the ship, would we be able to take a taxi back to the cruise dock from Soller? 

 

If we do the beach, it will probably be Illetas. Is it relatively easy to get a taxi back to the cruise dock from there? 

Edited by obx-mom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, obx-mom said:

Thanks for the info! I think we would rather do the train or a beach day.

 

Since the return train isn't until after we need to be back at the ship, would we be able to take a taxi back to the cruise dock from Soller? 

 

If we do the beach, it will probably be Illetas. Is it relatively easy to get a taxi back to the cruise dock from there? 

Yes if you look back in this thread you will see the timings using a taxi back to the port .

   Personally  i would choose the train as you can always go to a beach but the train is more of an adventure  and you will see what a lovely  island Mallorca is. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, roger b said:

Yes if you look back in this thread you will see the timings using a taxi back to the port .

   Personally  i would choose the train as you can always go to a beach but the train is more of an adventure  and you will see what a lovely  island Mallorca is. 

Thank you for the suggestions! I really appreciate your help 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, skiiergirl said:

Beware if you are renting a car and having them bring it to the port! 
It depends on which dock!  We were on WOnder OTS and docked at the far pier.  It was a 3+ mile walk to get to the car!!!! 

Sorry  to tell you it is only 1.5 miles and takes 27 mins to walk and 5 mins by taxi and that will cost 5/7 euroes , i admit  it  is quite a distance ,bur all the oversize shps dock at this quay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 9:33 PM, roger b said:

This the best way to do it :

     Shuttle   to the Cathedral 

     Walk to station 10.30am train 

     Walk around center of Soller Then get the tram to P de Soller

      Have lunch by the sea 

      Bus or taxi back to Palma.you should  be able to get a couple of hours in         Palma

Taxi to the train station (for 4) was less than 10 euros

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2022 at 5:45 PM, roger b said:

Sorry  to tell you it is only 1.5 miles and takes 27 mins to walk and 5 mins by taxi and that will cost 5/7 euroes , i admit  it  is quite a distance ,bur all the oversize shps dock at this quay.

Hi roger, 

 

thanks for all your informative posts. I’ve read through them and will be following your excellent suggestions. On another topic: can you recommend a place to shop ( or window shop) for pearls? We are going to take a cab from the port and spend the day in Palma. Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Hi roger, 

 

thanks for all your informative posts. I’ve read through them and will be following your excellent suggestions. On another topic: can you recommend a place to shop ( or window shop) for pearls? We are going to take a cab from the port and spend the day in Palma. Thanks 

 Hi , Look at :

https://mallorcapearlshop.com/en/

 

 Palma is an easy city to walk around with a great selection of shops Look for shoes as both mens and ladies are good value and much cheaper that U.S . Roger

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, we will be in Palma in Monday October 24 from 11-7. There will be 4 ships in port that day and depending on how full they are could be 12,000+ passangers. I have seen you say there is plenty to do staying in Palma but with that many ships in will it be too crowded? What would you suggest for those hours staying in Palma?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...