Edge Cabins - normally sail on Solstice style ships

lydnsyd

I'm looking at a Med Cruise on the Edge & need a bit of advice on what type of cabin to book. We would normally book a Deluxe Ocean View Veranda Cabin on the Solstice Class of ships. Is there much difference other than the price between the Edge's Deluxe Ocean View Veranda Cabins and the Edge stateroom with Infinite Veranda.

We wouldn't want to be near the Magic Carpet so what areas should we avoid.  I'm finding it all a bit confusing and would appreciate you steering me in the right direction.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Yes there is a lot of differemce. The edge infinite verandahs don’t have true balconies. They are often described as oceanview rooms with windows that open.  Sunset Verandah rooms have true  balconies.  There are also a few “hull balcony” style staterooms, located far forward and aft.  

Thanks for your reply. So I guess if DH wants to have some fresh air then I will have to as well - not sure I want that if that is the case.  I know we should be more adventurous but as a 10 night cruise is a whopping £6000 + for an Infinite cabin I want to get it right although having said that a normal Veranda 1B isn't that  much less at £5600

Appreciate you input

5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

As you consider the infinite verandah,  be aware that while the window is open to the fresh air, the room air conditioning turns off.  

I believe if you turn off the eco button on the control panel the AC will stay on... at least that is what I have been told.

I think an IV cabin would be really nice for a Med cruise... Not having done one, I imagine that the coastal scenery is nice particularly in parts of Italy and Greece... vs a more boring Caribbean view. With that in mind the IV has much more glass and so a great view uncluttered with slider frame and drapes. Less of a veranda feel but more like a high rise condo view, but with windows that open... if that makes sense.... If you don't mind a window that does not open... you can save a few $ on a Panoramic ocean view cabin ... similar design but just floor to ceiling window that does not open. Bathrooms are much better than S class. There is a lot of hidden storage. Will initially look like there is little... but lots of cubby spots and a nice bid drawer under the sink. The chest of drawers is large and while closet hanging space is less, there is another set of drawers in the closet.

When selecting a cabin... look at deck plan and realize the the sections that stick out will block the view, somewhat, of the cabins next to it.... (especially true of MC which sticks out about 10-12ft.. Also see list below for cabins that Celebrity considers obstructed. Something else to consider.. the 'destination gangway' exits on the starboard side... so that side will always face the dock. Not sure you know how the pier is set up in any port or if you care...but the port side will face away from the pier....

EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View.pdf

• Like 1

We enjoyed our IV cabin on EDGE. It makes the cabin more spacious. Nice views but it is NOT a  true balcony.

If you  do not  need an outdoor balcony for  sun tanning or lounging, IV would be great for a Medit itin. 

Make sure you do not get an obstructed view...carefully study potential locations.

Having been in a SV cabin on Edge and having seen the IV cabins as we have walked past we would most definitely book a SV cabin again. It is a traditional balcony but there is so much more room, the air con system works better, no one closes you off from your balcony if they want to, the cabin itself is much longer. For us we would now not sail on Edge or Apex in anything other than a SV cabin. They are just amazing ---- perfect infact

We just did a Med cruise on Edge and found the IV stateroom really well designed, but as said elsewhere, it is NOT a true balcony cabin. The old-style balcony cabins are few and in poor locations fore and aft, and are not fully open. They have what I would describe as a large Hobbit hole opening. The only problems we had with the IV bit was the internal sliding door restricts access to the bed if you have a room configured with bed near window, the blind and window were very slow and noisy in operation, and if you want to peek out (check if you are in port yet) you have to lift the blind pretty high to see out. We had some pretty rough weather and the spray reached our window on deck 12, then we could not see out at all. They did not start cleaning until we reached port the following day. Also deck 12 has an overhang. MC only parks on decks 2, 5 and 14 where there are no cabins so guests on MC should not be able to see into cabins.

Note that in our experience the destination gateway can and does operate on either starboard OR port side when docked (depends which way round they park), but only starboard when tendering using the MC.

1 hour ago, stevenmary said:

We just did a Med cruise on Edge and found the IV stateroom really well designed, but as said elsewhere, it is NOT a true balcony cabin. The old-style balcony cabins are few and in poor locations fore and aft, and are not fully open. They have what I would describe as a large Hobbit hole opening. The only problems we had with the IV bit was the internal sliding door restricts access to the bed if you have a room configured with bed near window, the blind and window were very slow and noisy in operation, and if you want to peek out (check if you are in port yet) you have to lift the blind pretty high to see out. We had some pretty rough weather and the spray reached our window on deck 12, then we could not see out at all. They did not start cleaning until we reached port the following day. Also deck 12 has an overhang. MC only parks on decks 2, 5 and 14 where there are no cabins so guests on MC should not be able to see into cabins.

Note that in our experience the destination gateway can and does operate on either starboard OR port side when docked (depends which way round they park), but only starboard when tendering using the MC.

Thanks for your cabin review!

I did want to say that there are 28 sunset veranda cabins way aft that are larger than the IV's and have 80 sq ft open, traditional balconies (I have 3 booked on future Edge and Apex cruises), in addition to the 1A's and 1B's  that have the large porthole-type hull balconies (about 40 sq ft).

Sunset Verandas

image.png.5404b9e2eccd42a3f21df494465a2396.png

1A:

image.png.91053e64d64e54049e3267f20d8fb189.png

Edited by vtcruising

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, vtcruising said:

This thread will give you an overview of what cabins available on the Edge, with pictures. The Sunset Verandas are popular on this ship if you want a traditional non-suite balcony (and are okay with a cabin in the aft).

This is really helpful - thanks for that.  We eventually decided on a cruise  on an S class ship - when we do finally go for the Edge we will be fully informed on the types of cabins. thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for the link...nice views straight out the window.  The Inf Veranda cabin is similar but perhaps longer and the window opens halfway.  We enjoyed the IV but either seems nice.   We would pick a higher deck for better views...away from top of life boats

I noticed in the pics from the link 2 large carafes that say hot or cold   did you purchase them onboard or were they give aways ?  ( doubt it) 

Edited by hcat

We received them

14 hours ago, hcat said:

Thanks for the link...nice views straight out the window.  The Inf Veranda cabin is similar but perhaps longer and the window opens halfway.  We enjoyed the IV but either seems nice.   We would pick a higher deck for better views...away from top of life boats

I noticed in the pics from the link 2 large carafes that say hot or cold   did you purchase them onboard or were they give aways ?  ( doubt it) 

We received 2 sets when we did our Preview cruises, 2 white and 2 orange. They are really nice. They were selling for $25 each in the gift shop (To The Edge).

image.thumb.png.de5c4b26c956b6490e2758d1fcbcafa9.png

On 9/26/2019 at 5:50 PM, vtcruising said:

I did want to say that there are 28 sunset veranda cabins way aft that are larger than the IV's and have 80 sq ft open, traditional balconies 

Are the balconies of the SVs on Edge covered, or are they more like the SVs on the S-class ships?  (We are not sun worshippers.)  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Are the balconies of the SVs on Edge covered, or are they more like the SVs on the S-class ships?  (We are not sun worshippers.)  Thanks!

There is some overhang near the door, but some people have reported them as being too hot (albeit I think most came from those who were in the Med with record temps this summer). I imagine it will depend on the itinerary and position of ship. Maybe these pictures will help - at least some shade at times, but in some positions, likely full sun.

840185048_aftSVs.thumb.jpg.01c33f62ca45fbfdc290b38d3a135f7d.jpg

SV8314.JPG.4c4eea493607a7e187ce5e74c4f5ea0f.JPG

27740939_SV10273x.thumb.jpg.aad28dd02036c2e1098d5bdbb37eb4c9.jpg

Edited by vtcruising

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

There is some overhang near the door, but some people have reported them as being too hot (albeit I think most came from those who were in the Med with record temps this summer). I imagine it will depend on the itinerary and position of ship. Maybe these pictures will help - at least some shade at times, but in some positions, likely full sun.

Thanks for the info and photos!    I know the IVs are not for us; we really prefer a true balcony.   Have to think about those SVs if we ever want to try the Edge. 

Seems to me SV may be a good way to go if I book Edge class in future. On a quick check for a 10 night cruise in 2020 it seems to come out cheaper than the C3 we had this year. My only concern would be what's the ride like so far aft and high up? We have been in a forward cabin on Victoria crossing the Bay of Biscay in November - one of the most unpleasant experiences we ever had. Maybe it's not so bad aft? Anyone got experience of SV on Edge in bad weather?

34 minutes ago, stevenmary said:

Seems to me SV may be a good way to go if I book Edge class in future. On a quick check for a 10 night cruise in 2020 it seems to come out cheaper than the C3 we had this year. My only concern would be what's the ride like so far aft and high up? We have been in a forward cabin on Victoria crossing the Bay of Biscay in November - one of the most unpleasant experiences we ever had. Maybe it's not so bad aft? Anyone got experience of SV on Edge in bad weather?

We were in an aft corner S1 on 11 and had no issues - Oville reported some significant rocking on a really windy day in port in that same suite (we were midship at the time and had a more mild rocking). The Captain talked a lot about how smooth-sailing the Edge is - I didn't believe the hype until I looked out one day, thinking we were still in port, but we were at sea.   We have spent many days in aft cabins on the upper decks of S Class too, and though I can remember a few times that we were rocking and creaking (but not really unpleasant, just annoying because of the creaking), I'm not sure that it was any worse than other areas of the ship (I didn't check).  For us, the aft view is worth the risk, but we don't usually have seasickness either.

We are looking forward to our future SV cruises on the Edge and Apex.

Edited by vtcruising