Adventure of the Seas, Sep 16, 2019 - Canada/New England Review

Andrew89

I post on cruise critic rarely but felt compelled to today. This is my 11th cruise (10 RCI, 1 Celeb) and first with Canadian ports so I'm able to use my phone at ports as I'm from Toronto (I refuse to pay $18 US per day for Wi-Fi). I'm in Charlottetown PEI today and will post a full review with pictures when I get home but to make a long story short, out of 11 cruises, by far the best one for four reasons:

1) Ship is beautiful, Adventure is in great shape for 18 years old and so much of it has been modernized.

2) Staff is extremely friendly, more so than usual.

3) Because this is an 11 day, non-tropical cruise in September, there are only 34 kids! I was on Symphony in February and there were 34 kids in one pool ALONE.

4) We booked an ocean view panoramic cabin (deck 12) and the view is extraordinary, on top of the fact that the cabin is pristine as it's only 1.5 years old. I will only book panoramic ocean view on Voyager and Freedom class ships from now on. I don't even miss the balcony.

Full review when I'm home the Sep 28-29 weekend.

• Like 3

• Clarea changed the title to Adventure of the Seas, Sep 16, 2019 - Canada/New England Review
22 minutes ago, Andrew89 said:

I post on cruise critic rarely but felt compelled to today. This is my 11th cruise (10 RCI, 1 Celeb) and first with Canadian ports so I'm able to use my phone at ports as I'm from Toronto (I refuse to pay $18 US per day for Wi-Fi). I'm in Charlottetown PEI today and will post a full review with pictures when I get home but to make a long story short, out of 11 cruises, by far the best one for four reasons:

1) Ship is beautiful, Adventure is in great shape for 18 years old and so much of it has been modernized.

3) Because this is an 11 day, non-tropical cruise in September, there are only 34 kids! I was on Symphony in February and there were 34 kids in one pool ALONE.

4) We booked an ocean view panoramic cabin (deck 12) and the view is extraordinary, on top of the fact that the cabin is pristine as it's only 1.5 years old. I will only book panoramic ocean view on Voyager and Freedom class ships from now on. I don't even miss the balcony.

Full review when I'm home the Sep 28-29 weekend.

I just got off the north bound cruise on Monday.  Great cruise.

5 hours ago, Andrew89 said:

We were on the previous northbound cruise and agree wholeheartedly with your 1 and 2. I was last on Adventure in 2014 and thought she is in better condition now than back then. I think we only had 27 kids on the northbound. We particularly liked the PEI stop you are at today.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:36 PM, betsyl said:

I’m on the upcoming 10/7 cruise from Quebec to FLL. Looking forward to your review!

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm also on that Snowbird itinerary...and looking forward to the OP's review.

Me 3. . . . Is there anything you wish you knew before the cruise?  Something to pack, etc?  TIA for your review.

Glad you've had a good time. Adventure of the Seas is a good ship; wife and I have been on it 3 times, our daughter 2 of those, and it was the 1st ship for all of us (honeymoon for wife & I, then started kiddo on it), so it's not sentimental attachment. 

Never head of an 11-day cruise option on it; that's really nice. Wouldn't work for us in Sept. with our girl in school. 

Interested to see what you think of the port stops on that itinerary; we've only done it for Southern Caribbean itineraries. The one cruise we did to the north east, a Caribbean cruise out of Newark, NJ aboard Explorer of the Seas, there was rough weather and my sea sickness-prone wife probably wouldn't go for that again. 

That said, how are sea conditions? You guys feeling any 'motion of the ocean?' And how's the pizza on the Royal Promenade? That was a downer when I was last aboard, IIRC.

I struggled between picking between Anthem and adventure but picked anthem as I thought adventure might be old and boring.  We went on adventure Caribbean in 2006  and anthem to Bermuda and Caribbean a few years ago.     I really wanted to do Quebec but we chose anthem and no Quebec.  We leave Thursday from Bayonne.  Have never done this itinerary.  Maybe we will do her next time.  We loved our trip in 2006.   Thank you for the review.  

Edited by Networker

34 minutes ago, Networker said:

I struggled between picking between Anthem and adventure but picked anthem as I thought adventure might be old and boring.  We went on adventure Caribbean in 2006  and anthem to Bermuda and Caribbean a few years ago.     I really wanted to do Quebec but we chose anthem and no Quebec.  We leave Thursday from Bayonne.  Have never done this itinerary.  Maybe we will do her next time.  We loved our trip in 2006.   Thank you for the review.  

Quantum: 1 trip - Southampton to Bayonne TA (Nov 2014)

Anthem: 3 trips - Southampton to Bayonne TA (Oct 2015), Bermuda (Sept 2018), NE/CA (Oct 2018).

Adventure: 1 trip - Bayonne to Quebec (Sept 2019)

I preferred Adventure.

Adventure - Better overall ship layout, nicer dining room, nicer theater, mini golf, water slides, ice show, much better Royal Promenade

Quantum/Anthem - Northstar, indoor pool and solarium, nicer cabin bathrooms, very congested Royal Esplanade, better pizza.

Edited by Another_Critic

Now you tell me!   I loved the food on the adventure in 2006.  Very sophisticated but I assumed that the food quality has gone down across the line so didn’t use that as a reason to book or not book.  I too miss the promenade.  Love that and the different ares on the harmony, my fav ship so far.  But the nicer rooms and the solarium are why I think I chose the anthem.