Cruise Critic Community
39august

Closet in Sky Suite?

I should have asked this sooner as I am in the process of packing for our cruise on Setp. 23! Should I bring my usual magnetic hook for extra hanging storage in the Sky Suite? Or is it larger (I hope) than the closet in a regular veranda cabin?

7 minutes ago, 39august said:

I should have asked this sooner as I am in the process of packing for our cruise on Setp. 23! Should I bring my usual magnetic hook for extra hanging storage in the Sky Suite? Or is it larger (I hope) than the closet in a regular veranda cabin?

Are you on S class?   We definitely didn't need them on our last cruise, there's a ton of closet & drawer space, we actually had empty drawers!  Ended up dedicating one top drawer to the buff we needed to take with us each day.   Enjoy, we absolutely loved the suite perks :)

If on S class it all depends if you are in a S1 or a S2 suite. If it is a S2 you should be ok as the wardrobes run down the side of the cabin and there is an extra one over a regular cabin. If you are in a S1 I always find the storage tight as the wardrobe is behind the door in the wall that has the bathroom in it and they always feel less spacy. It probably does not help that we usually try to do a b2b on 2 different ships in the Caribbean and we stay in either Miami before and after the cruises so we have clothes for 4 weeks!!   

We did summit and infinity sky suites , huge closet with plenty of storage. Almost walk-in . Agree perks are fantastic 

Yes, S class in S2. So, looks as if I am safe to leave my magnetic hook at home. Thanks to all. 

27 minutes ago, George C said:

We did summit and infinity sky suites , huge closet with plenty of storage. Almost walk-in . Agree perks are fantastic 

Depends on when you were on Summit.  It has been "revolutionized" and I don't know if it's almost walk-in anymore.  I haven't seen any pictures of the new closets but will find out next week.

Yes they are still roomy the S class sky suites.

7 minutes ago, marycruz said:

Depends on when you were on Summit.  It has been "revolutionized" and I don't know if it's almost walk-in anymore.  I haven't seen any pictures of the new closets but will find out next week.

Did summit last year before upgrades , infinity this year same exact sky suite same suite number 6102

22 hours ago, marycruz said:

We sailed the Summit in May and there was only a double door closet which was tight.  I don’t know how it was before the revolution. On the S class S2 there are 2 double closets. 

49 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

We sailed the Summit in May and there was only a double door closet which was tight.  I don’t know how it was before the revolution. On the S class S2 there are 2 double closets. 

It's what I suspected.  I've heard they cut down on the closet space on Summit.  It used to have the two double doors and as George said you could walk into it. 

Just sad what they did to the M class sky suites.

9 hours ago, marycruz said:

It's what I suspected.  I've heard they cut down on the closet space on Summit.  It used to have the two double doors and as George said you could walk into it. 

Just sad what they did to the M class sky suites.

Agree.  In what world is eliminating a walk-in closet an enhancement???  Not in my world.

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Agree.  In what world is eliminating a walk-in closet an enhancement???  Not in my world.

But even so, it is worth giving up a walk-in closet in exchange for the major new enhancements the Celebrity "revolution"  is now providing for us.

For example, instead of the previous, dated, old-fashioned, comfortable and useful balcony furniture

image.png.80702dbc6e3ec8639b7779e6ea8d509f.png

Ta dah!   Celebrity now brings us the latest in exciting and innovative modern enhancements

image.png.540f5646c047927a1412d22d7beb6846.png

To quote the famous Celebrity slogan: 

That's Modern Luxury!

Edited by varoo

Please tell me the photo above is not for real.  I am about to deposit on my first ever Celebrity cruise on the soon-to-be Revolutionized Eclipse.  The furniture in the 2nd photo reminds me of a back yard we hung out in on the Lower East Side in the 70s.  It's a 14-day cruise, and I picked an S1 Sky for the aft wrap-balcony.  But if I have to sit on a wooden chair it would be virtually useless.  I am already panicked about closet space.  Australia/New Zealand, once-in-a-lifetime.   I don't get it.  Advice please?

On 9/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, George C said:

Those closets are toast on the refurbed M class ships.  Another poor Celebrity design decision.

8 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

Please tell me the photo above is not for real.  I am about to deposit on my first ever Celebrity cruise on the soon-to-be Revolutionized Eclipse.  The furniture in the 2nd photo reminds me of a back yard we hung out in on the Lower East Side in the 70s.  It's a 14-day cruise, and I picked an S1 Sky for the aft wrap-balcony.  But if I have to sit on a wooden chair it would be virtually useless.  I am already panicked about closet space.  Australia/New Zealand, once-in-a-lifetime.   I don't get it.  Advice please?

Sorry, but it's real.  This balcony has been Hoppenized with Hoppencrap for your comfort and convenience.  NOT!

Wow.  I am at a loss.  I don't know what hoppencrap is, but I think I smoked some in that back yard in the 70s ! 

An upgrade to the next level (Celebrity?) Suite is effectively another $2K for ample closet space, but with an outdoor experience like that, I am going back to looking at Royal and Princess.  I simply have no words.  How could they possibly try to sell that junk to a "luxury" clientele?  I work waaaay too hard for my money, and suites are a stretch as it is.  I thank you for saving me from a major heartbreak!  

Those wooden chairs could have come from the schoolhouse on Little House on the Prairie.

Good grief. 🙄

11 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

Wow.  I am at a loss.  I don't know what hoppencrap is, but I think I smoked some in that back yard in the 70s ! 

An upgrade to the next level (Celebrity?) Suite is effectively another $2K for ample closet space, but with an outdoor experience like that, I am going back to looking at Royal and Princess.  I simply have no words.  How could they possibly try to sell that junk to a "luxury" clientele?  I work waaaay too hard for my money, and suites are a stretch as it is.  I thank you for saving me from a major heartbreak!  

Before you jump ship, I'm  not sure that's a current photo. So many people complained that I think they replaced or are replacing those school chairs. 

12 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Sorry, but it's real.  This balcony has been Hoppenized with Hoppencrap for your comfort and convenience.  NOT!

Hoppenized stands for Kelly Hoppen Designs.

I just see it as the direction Celebrity wants to go. Kelly must have worked many hours with Celebrity. The designs would have been gone over many times. Just because Celebrity makes minor changes to appease current paying customers. Celebrity is going in another direction and it is not a direction I'm going. 

My theory on all the uncomfortable, non functioning furniture in the cabins and on the balcony is this: Get people out of their cabins and into the public areas where they might spend money. If the cabins are too comfortable, people might stay in them. Celebrity only wants you in them to shower and sleep.

I find it almost impossible to believe that no one at ~X~ saw a mock up of the cabins or sat in any of the furniture. Surely someone said “uh these chairs, this design don’t work.” Most passengers want three things in a cruise ship cabin, regardless of the category- comfort, storage space, and a decent sized bathroom. 

15 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Hoppencrap is the stuff that "designer" Kelly Hoppen added to the staterooms.  Such as those wood chairs.  And thousands of white things.  Like vases that don't hold water.  It is possible that the wood chairs are gone--there was a great outcry about them.  Not sure what they will put on Eclipse.  I was in a sky suite last fall on Equinox and we didn't have that Hoppencrap on the balcony.  There was new balcony furniture which was pretty normal.  But they never finished the revolution of that ship either.  So who knows?

15 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Those closets are toast on the refurbed M class ships.  Another poor Celebrity design decision.

How bad are new closets? Luckily next cruise is royal suite in 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

I find it almost impossible to believe that no one at ~X~ saw a mock up of the cabins or sat in any of the furniture. Surely someone said “uh these chairs, this design don’t work.” Most passengers want three things in a cruise ship cabin, regardless of the category- comfort, storage space, and a decent sized bathroom. 

I envision an "Emperor's New Clothes" scenario during these meetings. Hoppen was so hyped up as the Be-All-End-All Master Designer who's going to usher Celebrity into the future of "Modern Luxury." I imagine there were lots of ooohs and aaahs as her designs were revealed, and no one felt comfortable stating things like, "Um, people like to lounge on their balconies, that's why they usually have lounge furniture," or, "Being unable to tuck that chair under the desk will create an obstacle," or, "Those giant dining room chairs may look cool, but they are going to be a hassle to tuck in," or "Maybe a vase that doesn't hold water and fake coral, and whatever the heck that is aren't the best use of money or space."

I could very well be wrong. I'd like to be. I'd like to think that people high enough in an organization to be involved in such decisions would be more empowered. It's just that this thought has popped up in my mind while reading threads several times. This is just the first time I've said it "out loud."

7 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I envision an "Emperor's New Clothes" scenario during these meetings. Hoppen was so hyped up as the Be-All-End-All Master Designer who's going to usher Celebrity into the future of "Modern Luxury." I imagine there were lots of ooohs and aaahs as her designs were revealed, and no one felt comfortable stating things like, "Um, people like to lounge on their balconies, that's why they usually have lounge furniture," or, "Being unable to tuck that chair under the desk will create an obstacle," or, "Those giant dining room chairs may look cool, but they are going to be a hassle to tuck in," or "Maybe a vase that doesn't hold water and fake coral, and whatever the heck that is aren't the best use of money or space."

I could very well be wrong. I'd like to be. I'd like to think that people high enough in an organization to be involved in such decisions would be more empowered. It's just that this thought has popped up in my mind while reading threads several times. This is just the first time I've said it "out loud."

That chair under the desk sure was an obstacle.  I had to pull it out to put makeup on close enough to the mirror (at least there was a mirror there).  Also the fact that they took out bars and shower lines from the bathtub in the sky suites on M class is an obstacle.   I asked for a shower line and a bar to hold onto to get out of the tub and they did put those in.  I am interested in finding out if they have now put them in all the suites with bathtubs.  Mostly the sky suites because the royal suite never had shower lines if I remember correctly. 

16 minutes ago, marycruz said:

That chair under the desk sure was an obstacle.  I had to pull it out to put makeup on close enough to the mirror (at least there was a mirror there).  Also the fact that they took out bars and shower lines from the bathtub in the sky suites on M class is an obstacle.   I asked for a shower line and a bar to hold onto to get out of the tub and they did put those in.  I am interested in finding out if they have now put them in all the suites with bathtubs.  Mostly the sky suites because the royal suite never had shower lines if I remember correctly. 

I've never sailed in a suite and am extremely unlikely to ever do so, but it sounds like mistakes were made in all types of cabins and common areas.

I'm all for updating, I just think there should be logic applied, in addition to style. 

Sometimes oodles of money and logic are at odds with one another.  Any designer who works on private yachts would know these decisions were mistakes.  No matter that cruises are part of the hospitality industry - they are, first and foremost, boats, albeit big ones. 

Now we wait and see what they do to recover from this.  Seems the furniture is not being met with much acclaim, but neither is the slippery flooring on the new Retreat pool area according to another poster I read yesterday.  I am pretty bummed.  Made instant Elite status after transferring my Royal C&A to Captains Club yesterday.  Deposited on Princess today, since we aren't getting any younger and Australia has been on the bucket list about as long as it can reasonable keep before we can't make such a long flight anymore.

Will just have to wait and see how this pans out, and cautiously optimistic there is a Celebrity cruise out there somewhere down the road.  Thanks, all, as always, for all the great advice!