Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
madamerkf

Sunrise not going to Bermuda but Carnival comes through!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, emm126 said:

Hi - I was on the cruise 9/12-16th as well. Funny enough I was actually booked on the 9/16-22 but switched it a couple of months ago to accommodate my aunt who was traveling with us. The cruise was an 80th BD present for my mom, so I am glad we were actually able to go to Bermuda instead of getting a free cruise.

 

Anyway to answer your question, I asked about the $70 or so credit. I was told that the port taxes were much less than anticipated, so it was a refund. I actually was pretty impressed with Carnival refunding us, they could have kept it and we wouldn't have known any different.

Did it take you a long time to get off the ship? it took us an hour to get into the building, it was ridiculous. They kept on saying it was customs, but there was no line in customs and they had 6 agents working.

 

We were doing the express debarkation and went to the Sunshine Restaurant for a sit down breakfast. Went back to our cabin around 8:15 to hear over the PA that they were running ahead and that our group had already been called about an hour ahead. So we walked right off. Made it off ship fairly quickly, longest delay was customs.  Made it back to Penn Station and caught a 10:30 commuter train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, madamerkf said:

Because of Humberto the 9/16/2019 sailing out of Brooklyn went to Charleston instead. We were supposed to have at least a few hours in Bermuda. Just got an announcement from the captain that they can’t go to Bermuda but are giving us all 100% future cruise credit with two years to use it! So we wound up with 5/6 sea days which is actually fine by me. And my next cruise will be free. Can’t beat that and kudos to Carnival for fixing an otherwise not so great for your vacation situation. 

 

 

Kudos to CCL for going above and beyond for you and your fellow passengers. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

That's a great deal!  I sailed on Carnival out of Baltimore last year and we were supposed to go to Bermuda.  We were rerouted to the Bahamas and got 25% off of our next cruise.  I thought that was nice.  Your deal is awesome!

We were on that cruise and it was easy to get our 25% credit.  We’re using it on a cruise to the Mexican Riverera next week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are in good spirits and really enjoying all the ship has to offer. Every venue was packed tonight! The dancers could not put on their usual show so instead they have a stripped down version of the jazz show and let me tell you..,  it was hands down the best show I ever saw on a carnival ship! The cast seemed to really enjoy just singing and not dealing with all the costumes and dancing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

That is awesome, way to go Carnival! I knew I should have stayed on this sailing and not switched to the Sunshine next week. HAHAHAHAHA.

 

I am wondering what will happen with Sunshine and Bermuda next week....I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be getting back to Bermuda...

I am wondering the same thing I am booked for the Sunshine next week also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, madamerkf said:

People are in good spirits and really enjoying all the ship has to offer. Every venue was packed tonight! The dancers could not put on their usual show so instead they have a stripped down version of the jazz show and let me tell you..,  it was hands down the best show I ever saw on a carnival ship! The cast seemed to really enjoy just singing and not dealing with all the costumes and dancing. 

Thanks for updating us, sounds like everyone is enjoying and thinking about their upcoming “free” cruise, kudos to Carnival for stepping up the plate and delivering.

Edited by jimbo5544

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 We were on the Delayed 6 day Horizon cruise a few weeks ago do Dorian 

They gave us a choice to Cancel and get a full refund & 100% FCC Plus $200 p.p air transfer 

Or sail on 3 day cruise get 50% refund & 50% FCC

They refunded all pre paid stuff 

I thought they stepped up. 

But many on our FB page is blasting Carnival 

 Many didn’t have insurance and are out expensive hotels and meals. It’s crazy reading all these post. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

I was sitting at the Red Frog Rum Bar when the Captain made the announcement. The entire pool area broke out in applause and cheers. I think that 95 percent of the passengers understood and were very happy. Of course the other 5 percent.....

Jeff, you got that right on the Other 5 percent not being happy...................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bases5 said:

Yea. We took the 3 day cruise and received everything Carnival promised. 

We are only waiting on our delay claim from insurance.  Trust me it kind of sucked but we made the best of it. We felt grateful we weren’t the poor people in the northern Bahamas. That’s the real tragedy. 

It sure is, storms are a plus for no one, make no mistake about that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, madamerkf said:

From what I have heard, Bermuda was without power.  

 

Yeah, and this article from Bermuda news today shows:

 

Power restoration could take four days, Belco warned last night: by 7pm 16,448 remained without power, with 56 per cent of customers restored.

 

http://www.royalgazette.com/weather---news/article/20190920/humberto-recovery-continues

 

Glad it wasn't worse and hope Jerry turns away! :classic_wink: And yay for Carnival for handling everything so well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you were treated more fairly for what happened with your cruise. You could have been on the Sunshine tomorrow and paying Bermuda prices to sail to the Bahamas…..25% FCC for Breeze going to 3 better ports and 25% to Sunshine for Bahamas, won't even cover the cost difference. Not to mention, you have to sail with Carnival again to even get your 25% back that you already paid them, and add an additional 75% of your money to it. Thanks but no thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bingo3 said:

Glad you were treated more fairly for what happened with your cruise. You could have been on the Sunshine tomorrow and paying Bermuda prices to sail to the Bahamas…..25% FCC for Breeze going to 3 better ports and 25% to Sunshine for Bahamas, won't even cover the cost difference. Not to mention, you have to sail with Carnival again to even get your 25% back that you already paid them, and add an additional 75% of your money to it. Thanks but no thanks!

If you think the other cruise lines are better with this than you will be saying goodbye to many cruise lines.  Happy cruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 11:05 PM, Bases5 said:

 We were on the Delayed 6 day Horizon cruise a few weeks ago do Dorian 

They gave us a choice to Cancel and get a full refund & 100% FCC Plus $200 p.p air transfer 

Or sail on 3 day cruise get 50% refund & 50% FCC

They refunded all pre paid stuff 

I thought they stepped up. 

But many on our FB page is blasting Carnival 

 Many didn’t have insurance and are out expensive hotels and meals. It’s crazy reading all these post. 

 

 

Their own fault for NOT taking out insurance! I'm on a very tight budget, but that is an ESSENTIAL expense for me, purchased as soon as possible-I've been known to put the deposit down, LONG before I can purchase insurance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 8:45 PM, bunnyman said:

 

We were doing the express debarkation and went to the Sunshine Restaurant for a sit down breakfast. Went back to our cabin around 8:15 to hear over the PA that they were running ahead and that our group had already been called about an hour ahead. So we walked right off. Made it off ship fairly quickly, longest delay was customs.  Made it back to Penn Station and caught a 10:30 commuter train.

 

Same here. Off with self carry off at 800 after eating in the Sunshine and caught a 915 train at Penn.  However, there were only 2 agents working customs when we went thru. One on the left and one on the right. It backed up real quick after we got in the terminal building. We got lucky as our cabin was right under the atrium on deck 2 and beat a lot of people off. Guessing the early backup delayed everyone behind us and that’s what the other poster mentioned about customs.

 

Carnival did the right thing with our credit. However, anyone complaining who wasn’t on this cruise has no idea what 48 hrs in 18 ft seas felt like for many to get that 100% fcc. Housekeeping was cleaning up vomit all over the ship. Some decks had lights go out. Glass door to one of the restaurants by the steakhouse shattered. Folks we’re sleeping in the atrium and lounges as their cabins forward we’re snot comfortable. I saw one lady all bruised up from getting tossed out of bed.  Some elevators shook so hard side to side they remained out and stuck for part of the cruise. It was a wild ride for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on this cruise to almost nowhere.  On the one hand I think Carnival did an excellent job reimbursing us 100% in Future Cruise Credits because it wasn't their fault that a hurricane was pounding Bermuda.  My problem with either the Captain or Carnival Corporate is putting us through a torturous 24 hours under the illusion that we were going to Bermuda.  The result of the howling winds and 18' seas caused so many to get sick and for us to spend the entire night in fear.  Even if we had survived and arrived in Bermuda, there was very limited power so what was the point.  Everyone knew that a major hurricane was headed there before we even left Brooklyn, so why didn't they take us to a warm island.  So we bounced around the Atlantic from Wednesday to Sunday. 

 

As far as the ship is concerned, my opinion was that the staff was absolutely amazing.  So many happy and friendly crew members starting with Cruise Director, Mikey.  There were so many places to eat that should suit everyone's taste.  The Italian and Steak House restaurants were worth every penny.  The pools are too small and kids are in every one including babies in diapers.  Babies in the hot tubs too.  The "pool" in the serenity area is nothing more than an oblong hot tub. I remember on the Caribbean Princess, the aft pool was for adults only and it was enforced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on this sailing too and I agree with Kellyann. I'm happy that Carnival gave us 100% FCC, but they should have known this was an issue. They should have known that even if we missed Humberto, the seas would be rough. Why they even attempted to get to Bermuda and planned for us to only be there from 10am-6pm is beyond me. I would have been happy with them doing a completely different itinerary from the start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jlacy1987 said:

I was on this sailing too and I agree with Kellyann. I'm happy that Carnival gave us 100% FCC, but they should have known this was an issue. They should have known that even if we missed Humberto, the seas would be rough. Why they even attempted to get to Bermuda and planned for us to only be there from 10am-6pm is beyond me. I would have been happy with them doing a completely different itinerary from the start. 

....and if they had sent a ship that was doing a week long cruise to Bermuda to Canada, there would be screaming, tearing of cloth and grinding of teeth to no end here.  Take a look around at the other cruises that were diverted and see what they got.  Where exactly would that other itinerary be?  Pop up some Caribbean islands and move them north so you can get to them and back in 8 days?  Move other ships that have berths in those islands out for this one sailing?  They tried to give you exactly what was promised and in the end gave you WAY (catch the caps here?) way more than that.  Sometimes you can’t make anybody happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kellyann said:

I was on this cruise to almost nowhere.  On the one hand I think Carnival did an excellent job reimbursing us 100% in Future Cruise Credits because it wasn't their fault that a hurricane was pounding Bermuda.  My problem with either the Captain or Carnival Corporate is putting us through a torturous 24 hours under the illusion that we were going to Bermuda.  The result of the howling winds and 18' seas caused so many to get sick and for us to spend the entire night in fear.  Even if we had survived and arrived in Bermuda, there was very limited power so what was the point.  Everyone knew that a major hurricane was headed there before we even left Brooklyn, so why didn't they take us to a warm island.  So we bounced around the Atlantic from Wednesday to Sunday. 

 

As far as the ship is concerned, my opinion was that the staff was absolutely amazing.  So many happy and friendly crew members starting with Cruise Director, Mikey.  There were so many places to eat that should suit everyone's taste.  The Italian and Steak House restaurants were worth every penny.  The pools are too small and kids are in every one including babies in diapers.  Babies in the hot tubs too.  The "pool" in the serenity area is nothing more than an oblong hot tub. I remember on the Caribbean Princess, the aft pool was for adults only and it was enforced.

The “pool” in the serenity area is a hot tub, they are not disguising it as a pool.  The only Carnival ships that have Serenity pools are the Spirit class and the Sunshine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

....and if they had sent a ship that was doing a week long cruise to Bermuda to Canada, there would be screaming, tearing of cloth and grinding of teeth to no end here.  Take a look around at the other cruises that were diverted and see what they got.  Where exactly would that other itinerary be?  Pop up some Caribbean islands and move them north so you can get to them and back in 8 days?  Move other ships that have berths in those islands out for this one sailing?  They tried to give you exactly what was promised and in the end gave you WAY (catch the caps here?) way more than that.  Sometimes you can’t make anybody happy.

Obviously, my post didn't "make anybody happy" especially Jimbo.  No, I wouldn't expect them to move islands north, nor would I expect them to displace other cruisers.  Many folks on this cruise had packed warmer wear in case we headed north.  Just maybe they could have taken us to Key West, Port Canaveral, Amber Cove, I'm thinking beach here.  In your tirade you must have missed my message that I was grateful for what they gave us.  BTW, I'm so grateful to you for clearing up the fact that the Serenity "water" was a hot tub and not a pool, some things are WAY too important to not clarify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kellyann said:

Obviously, my post didn't "make anybody happy" especially Jimbo.  No, I wouldn't expect them to move islands north, nor would I expect them to displace other cruisers.  Many folks on this cruise had packed warmer wear in case we headed north.  Just maybe they could have taken us to Key West, Port Canaveral, Amber Cove, I'm thinking beach here.  In your tirade you must have missed my message that I was grateful for what they gave us.  BTW, I'm so grateful to you for clearing up the fact that the Serenity "water" was a hot tub and not a pool, some things are WAY too important to not clarify.

 

I actually asked Mikey and his staff why the powers that be made the decision they did.   His thoughts were being it was a 6 day cruise from NYC our options were limited by timing and distance.  The Pride was a 7 day and left on Sunday (instead of our Monday) and could get further south before the storm and still have time to get back even if they had to cruise slow. Carnival wanted to try to give us a warm weather cruise and they wanted to try to not make a decision to send us to Canada prematurely and then have Bermuda be missed by the hurricane and what complaints would ensue that we could have gone to Bermuda.  They said telling us Canada/NE late Sunday or Monday when it became apparent Bermuda was going to get some weather was too late and they said majority of passengers would be unprepared for a colder climate.   I felt Charleston was a much better choice than say Port Canaveral where you're in an industrial area. We could walk downtown in Charleston easily.  They said timing and distance were a factor to get us to Grand Turk or Amber Cove like the Pride.  They mentioned they wanted to attempt to at least get us to a port for 2 days though that failed.  The 6 day length of the cruise really factored in to where we could go. They said 7 days would have given us better options.    We can Monday morning quarterback Carnival's decision all day long but I'm sure there was a lot of things factoring in to where they could send us, including open berths. Based on what I've read here...the Pride got some fun seas like us as did a few other ships.    At least they did the right thing by giving us a FCC credit since they couldn't deliver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kellyann said:

Obviously, my post didn't "make anybody happy" especially Jimbo.  No, I wouldn't expect them to move islands north, nor would I expect them to displace other cruisers.  Many folks on this cruise had packed warmer wear in case we headed north.  Just maybe they could have taken us to Key West, Port Canaveral, Amber Cove, I'm thinking beach here.  In your tirade you must have missed my message that I was grateful for what they gave us.  BTW, I'm so grateful to you for clearing up the fact that the Serenity "water" was a hot tub and not a pool, some things are WAY too important to not clarify.

No tirade here, and I did read and appreciate your comments about the cruise.  I was simply stating facts.  Lol, you can not like my post.  Did I HAVE to comment on the pool, obviously not.  The intent was not to demean or belittle but clarify for those who are contemplating the ship.  In actuality, it is a crappy hot tup, one that I found fairly uncomfortable.  

 

I will not belabor the point of the cruise, my daughter and her family was on the same sailing and talked about the weather and swells as well.  All that said, of all the affected cruises by Humberto, the cruisers on the Au rise came out on top, way in top.  Imho they (including my family) should be very happy with the results.  While as you said some my have packed for the possibility of going north, the majority did not.   I will not belabor the point further, but there is not a chance in hell you could do a ship unscheduled in Key West or Amber cove without schedule.  Just my two centS. Happy cruising, are we still friends?😀 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, Jamman54 said:

I was sitting at the Red Frog Rum Bar when the Captain made the announcement. The entire pool area broke out in applause and cheers. I think that 95 percent of the passengers understood and were very happy. Of course the other 5 percent.....

Jim and Patty, glad you all are ok.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...