How Early To Book For Holiday Cruise?

Samanthac25

I am interested in a December 2020 cruise over Christmas and/or New Years. I know prices fluctuate throughout the year and like everyone, I am trying to find the best price. How early do you think I should pull the trigger and book? Are there consistent times throughout the year for sales that are worth waiting for? Is there a time frame before a specific sailing when prices typically go up and not down? 

Cruise prices fluctuate a lot.  I don’t think there is a magic formula about when to book.  Holiday cruises are highly popular so, my thought is earlier and be sure you have a refundable fare so if you see the price drop, you can have it repriced.  I watch the cruise prices and promotions and call my PCC when I see the drop/promotion.   He is always willing to look at my booking to see if it is a better deal.  I’m sure a TA would do same.  But you have to be proactive.  

I concur with the post above.  In addition, I can share my experience on booking a HAL cruise for Christmas, and my observation over the years in monitoring Christmas/New Year pricing for HAL and other mainstream cruiselines. 

My only experience was in 2014 when we booked a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam which was over Christmas 3 weeks prior to sail date.  It is for a quad large interior and it was very very cheap.

Assuming you are considering a Caribbean itinerary in Christmas/New Year in 2020.  If you are looking for a 7-day itinerary, my observation is that generally the one over Christmas is usually a bit less expensive than the one over New Year.  If you aren't picky on a specific ship, or itinerary, or a specific cabin/category/location, then my advise is to take a risk and wait after final payment deadline and look for deals.  It is more than likely you will find good deal on HAL especially when comparing to price from other lines.  Why I am suggesting is that, for the demographics of the people who are willing to spend more $ for a Holiday cruise but "can" only do a week, they likely will choose the more family-oriented lines/ships first.  But let's say if you specifically have to cruise on the Nieuw Statendam, East Caribbean and have to stop at San Juan, and must need a Signature Suite, then book early and lock in the price and perks.

If you are considering 10+ day itinerary and/or those going to more unique ports, then book early (refundable fare) to lock in the price, and keep checking regularly. 

Agree with the advice already given, except to add that we've traveled with HAL for every Christmas since 2010, except for 2016.  If we want a particular cabin on a certain itinerary, we book a year in advance.  BTW, we're already booked for 2020, which is more than a year in advance because we saw a promotion that we considered a good deal and we got the exact cabin we wanted.  

If your heart is set on a particular ship/itinerary, book early to avoid possible disappointment; however, check prices at least once a week afterwards.  Should you see a better deal, ask your TA or PCC (we deal with a PCC) to adjust the amount you owe.  We saw a better deal in June on our upcoming 2019 Christmas/New Year's cruises (B2B) and our PCC was happy to change the pricing.  We saved over $1,400 with the new deal, and we lost none of the incentives which we'd been promised.  Be aware that sometimes when you go for a better deal, you may lose some of the incentives that were a part of the higher priced cruise.  Plus our PCC added another $50 to each of our onboard accounts, so that I'm wondering how on earth we're going to spend that much in a week.  I was thrilled that we lost none of the previous frills, so to speak.  

Once you hit final payment in Sept., you're locked into that deal.  The price could fall substantially, and you won't benefit.  A word of advice here: Once you make final payment, don't check prices again.  It will only depress you or drive you crazy, especially if the prices drop into the depths of the ocean. 

Typically after final payment, prices may decrease if a particular itinerary isn't selling well.  Again, prices may fall on Black Friday weekend if HAL is trying to push an itinerary that isn't filling as they think it should.  Then, again, if an itinerary is selling better than expected, the prices will most likely skyrocket.

It's all a crap shoot as to when to book.  I've met people who waited to book and didn't sail at all the previous year because the ship sold out before they acted.  You don't want to end up on your sofa at home watching a ship sail via live webcams.  Good luck with deciding when to book.  Hope this helps some.  

You have pretty good timing on this.  Pay attention to pricing for the 2019 holiday sailings and that will give a decent guess on a "bad" vs. "good" vs "great" deal for 2020.  The tough part is balancing the chances of lower cruise fare closer to sailing versus expensive airfare the later you book that.  Best way to optimize is probably book a flight well in advance that would allow you to still cross shop a few itineraries and lines and book the cruise fare when you get to a deal you're happy with.  (Note: buy your travel insurance when you buy the first part of the trip!).

We haven't done Christmas sailings, but I've done NYE the last 2 years so I have at least a general sense for the holiday pricing.

I'd say anything <$1000pp pre-tax for a balcony is a pretty decent price, especially if that includes a perk (e.g., free gratuity or OBC).  FYI I wasn't seeing amazing deals with HAL on actual cruise fares, but I scored a very healthy (17% of the total cost) OBC last year (booked after final payment due).

Check the fine print too, often the cancellation penalty after final payment is forfeit of your deposit... if you book during a reduced deposit special I think (confirm with your paperwork) the cancellation penalty is just that deposit amount - if so you can keep some flexibility for that first big sale window (week or so right after first final payment due).

X has been driving their prices higher to cover the perks packages.  Princess has been a little higher than HAL for both the 2018 and 2019 holiday season (at least so far).  

Hope the above helps!