Are the larger ships more crowded?

bryanem

9 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

I think it is highly dependant on when you travel and what you do on board. If you go doing school breaks it is packed, the pools are standing room only and have a very thick sunscreen film on them.

All cruise ships have standing room only at the pools and loaded with sun screen.  I almost never use pools on cruise ships, they are gross.  I've sailed Oasis class in the middle of summer and in the off season.  Little difference.

14 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I had forgotten about the lines out the door of the Windjammer until the previous poster mentioned it. I also experienced that. The only time we’ve ever had lines out the door of the buffet On any ship was the oasis. 

Having said that the oasis class is a beast unto itself. I would not let crowds keep you from trying it at least once. 

Dan

I think this deserves context.  The only reason there is a line out the door is because they manage the crowd and queue people up nicely.  On other ships, you just have wandering zombies desperately walking around looking for seats in a full/crowded buffet.  So you end up with tons and tons of wandering people and crowds which is a complete disaster.  They avoid this on Oasis class with a well designed Windjammer. So during the most crowded times, they queue up guests and show them to tables as they become available.  Keeping it orderly. They also do a good job getting people out who are finished.  Just a few months ago on Carnival, at times it was literally impossible to get a seat, and people were hanging out for hours (embarkation day) so seats never opened up.  Total disaster zone.  I missed Windjammer.

That said, Oasis has complimentary dining options in virtually every neighborhood on the ship.  If Windjammer is busy because you went at the absolute peak time, then just head over to another option.  They even show you on the maps how busy each place is.

For us, we just go a tad earlier if we want Windjammer.  7:45 or so instead of 9AM and it's practically empty.  Or just go to the Solarium Bistro, or Johnny Rockets, or MDR, or......  

Edited by BNBR

15 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

But watch, someone will tell me my opinion is wrong. 😉 

You are WRONG!  Sorry, I just had to...

I honestly prefer Oasis class over them all due to the fact that there is so much to do at various times that people are easily dispersed. I guess I have a different view of the WJ than most, I rarely have to wait in a line (except to washy-washy.) 

Also, to the person saying the views on the Oasis class are lacking... I think the exact opposite. You can go to SO MANY places and just look out and see the beauty! I especially love the King of the World location on Harmony.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

You are WRONG!  Sorry, I just had to...

I honestly prefer Oasis class over them all due to the fact that there is so much to do at various times that people are easily dispersed. I guess I have a different view of the WJ than most, I rarely have to wait in a line (except to washy-washy.) 

Also, to the person saying the views on the Oasis class are lacking... I think the exact opposite. You can go to SO MANY places and just look out and see the beauty! I especially love the King of the World location on Harmony.

The views from the interior, to be fair, are non-existent.  But I don't miss them.  If you want views, head up top as you said.  Solarium, sports decks, pool areas, even windjammer has an amazing view... We often grab a drink at the bar near the flowriders and enjoy the panoramic view up there off the aft.

I wish Royal could figure out a way to do a Waterfront (NCL style) on Oasis, that would take it over the top.

I don't think we have ever waited in line at the Windjammer on Oasis-class, simply because you quickly learn when/where to go to avoid lines.

Edited by BNBR

9 minutes ago, BNBR said:

All cruise ships have standing room only at the pools and loaded with sun screen.  I almost never use pools on cruise ships, they are gross.  I've sailed Oasis class in the middle of summer and in the off season.  Little difference.

Again, it depends on what you do onboard. If you avoid the most popular part of the ship, yes it doesn't seem crowded. There is a massive difference in the top decks based on season. I think the freedom class does a better job of handling crowds in the pools during the summer.

Outside of the pools I haven't had many issues with crowds on any ship. But on Oasis you generally do have to line up for comedy and aqua shows.

16 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

Again, it depends on what you do onboard. If you avoid the most popular part of the ship, yes it doesn't seem crowded. There is a massive difference in the top decks based on season. I think the freedom class does a better job of handling crowds in the pools during the summer.

Outside of the pools I haven't had many issues with crowds on any ship. But on Oasis you generally do have to line up for comedy and aqua shows.

We don't avoid the most popular parts of the ship, generally speaking.  The pool areas are so varied and big that you can find an area to hang out no matter what.  Solarium always has seating and the upper decks around the pools always have seating.  The pools are busy during the peak time on a sea day, like any ship, but if you just zig a little when others zag, it's quite easy to avoid crowds.  Go swimming a little earlier or later.  We'll do the water slides when they open and no lines at all.  A few hours later, big lines...  things like that.  It's kind of how any similar vacation is.  Whether going to a popular resort or Disney.  You have to have a plan and zig a little bit.

You don't have to line up for comedy or aqua shows.  You can book reservations for all of them and just walk in.  It's our favorite part of the experience.  Reservations make it so much easier and you get to avoid the lines that you get on smaller ships.

20 minutes ago, BNBR said:

We don't avoid the most popular parts of the ship, generally speaking.  The pool areas are so varied and big that you can find an area to hang out no matter what.  Solarium always has seating and the upper decks around the pools always have seating.  The pools are busy during the peak time on a sea day, like any ship, but if you just zig a little when others zag, it's quite easy to avoid crowds.  Go swimming a little earlier or later.  We'll do the water slides when they open and no lines at all.  A few hours later, big lines...  things like that.  It's kind of how any similar vacation is.  Whether going to a popular resort or Disney.  You have to have a plan and zig a little bit.

You don't have to line up for comedy or aqua shows.  You can book reservations for all of them and just walk in.  It's our favorite part of the experience.  Reservations make it so much easier and you get to avoid the lines that you get on smaller ships.

"If you avoid the crowds, it isn't crowded"

I'm just going off my experiences, people with reservations still lined up to get better seats and it was slow getting into the venue.

And I'm talking about using the pools, not finding a chair somewhere in the sun. I find on other ships I can enjoy the pools on a sea day in the middle of the day regardless of season, I did not find this to be true on Oasis.

I go to Disney World all the time and know how to avoid the crowds and lines, but that doesn't mean it isn't crowded just that I adjust what I want to do to avoid the crowds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

"If you avoid the crowds, it isn't crowded"

I'm just going off my experiences, people with reservations still lined up to get better seats and it was slow getting into the venue.

And I'm talking about using the pools, not finding a chair somewhere in the sun. I find on other ships I can enjoy the pools on a sea day in the middle of the day regardless of season, I did not find this to be true on Oasis.

I go to Disney World all the time and know how to avoid the crowds and lines, but that doesn't mean it isn't crowded just that I adjust what I want to do to avoid the crowds.

Every cruise ship is a little floating city with thousands of people on them.  They ALL can be crowded.  This discussion is about crowds comparatively speaking.   One of the benefits is that you can easily avoid crowded areas without missing out on things.  So yeah, if you avoid the crowds, it isn't crowded, and you can avoid the crowds and not miss out on things you want to do.

I've NEVER stood in line with a reservation other than when we showed up for the How To Train Your Dragon ice show too early.  Not sure why anyone would do that regularly. But to each their own I guess.  With reservations, there is no lack of good seating all the way up until they open it up for general seating.

Not sure what ships you find you can enjoy the outdoor pool easier on during peak time on a sea day, as I've never seen a mass market ship with an uncrowded pool at that time.  But glad you found one.  Even on our recent Celebrity cruise, the pool was a total disaster zone on sea days.

12 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Every cruise ship is a little floating city with thousands of people on them.  They ALL can be crowded.  This discussion is about crowds comparatively speaking.   One of the benefits is that you can easily avoid crowded areas without missing out on things.  So yeah, if you avoid the crowds, it isn't crowded, and you can avoid the crowds and not miss out on things you want to do.

I've NEVER stood in line with a reservation other than when we showed up for the How To Train Your Dragon ice show too early.  Not sure why anyone would do that regularly. But to each their own I guess.  With reservations, there is no lack of good seating all the way up until they open it up for general seating.

Not sure what ships you find you can enjoy the outdoor pool easier on during peak time on a sea day, as I've never seen a mass market ship with an uncrowded pool at that time.  But glad you found one.  Even on our recent Celebrity cruise, the pool was a total disaster zone on sea days.

You win, no body has ever had an experience that defers from yours. And everyone gets a chair with a seat back in the aqua theater regardless of when they show up. And Freedom class does not have significantly more pool space per guest than Oasis.

Edited by OSUZorba
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

You win, no body has ever had an experience that defers from yours. And everyone gets a chair with a seat back in the aqua theater regardless of when they show up. And Freedom class does not have more pool space per guest than Oasis.

Why are you acting so childish? Did I say such things to you when you disagreed? 

You can also just get The Key for better seating if that's important.  I've always been able to get seat backs at AquaTheater without waiting in line. Just need to get there when they open up seating. Which again, point remains, it's easy to avoid crowds on Oasis class. Which makes the ship less crowded. 

The question was if the Oasis class feels more crowded. It doesn't. And part of that is because it's so easy to avoid crowds due to the ships design. 

You are right though, I have to admit, it's shockingly uncrowded on Freedom....

2814209799-69f04d3b6d-b.jpg

pool-party.jpg

Edited by BNBR

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Overall, I haven’t felt crowded... with one exception... the sales on the promenade are insane!!!  Super duper crowded if you want a $10 watch or handbag 🙂. However, I love the giant ships, so it’s worth it to me 🙂

People watching during the sales from the Rising Tide is great fun 🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Why are you acting so childish? Did I say such things to you when you disagreed? 

You can also just get The Key for better seating if that's important.  I've always been able to get seat backs at AquaTheater without waiting in line. Just need to get there when they open up seating. Which again, point remains, it's easy to avoid crowds on Oasis class. Which makes the ship less crowded. 

The question was if the Oasis class feels more crowded. It doesn't. And part of that is because it's so easy to avoid crowds due to the ships design. 

All I originally said was certain parts of the ship feel crowded certain times of the year. You apparently agree with this, yet you are arguing that it doesn't matter, because the crowds can be avoided. I answered the OPs question, by mostly agreeing with your original post, except that I think the ship does feel crowded on the pool decks in the summer, more so than other RCL classes and I've had to wait in line at a couple of venues. The Freedom class has about the same pool space as Oasis, for 30% fewer people.

In my experience on Oasis, which has been awhile, if you got to the Aqua show 30 minutes early to get a seat with a back, you had to wait in line to scan in, and all of those seats were gone in pretty short order. Getting to a show 30 minute early to get a spot is still waiting, even if it isn't in a line, since that isn't required for other venues or other ships (which obviously, to be fair the comedy club and aqua theater aren't on other ships, if they were they'd likely have the same issue).

To restate my original opinion. I think there are few areas on the ship that DO feel crowded when there are many kids on the ship. Otherwise, I don't think the ship feels crowded. You're arguing with me that it doesn't matter because you can avoid these crowds, which was not the question or what I was responding to. It does no one any good to claim their are no crowds on the ship, when there definitely are some at certain places and times, saying yes there are some crowds but this how to avoid them is much more helpful.

Back to the OP,  Empress has a tiny pool, so I really doubt Oasis's pools will feel crowded compared to it. But they could feel crowded compared to Independence.

For what it is worth, if the OP had asked about a different class, I'd tell them what areas felt crowded on that class. I am not picking on Oasis, that is just what was asked about.

Edited by OSUZorba
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

I think this deserves context.  The only reason there is a line out the door is because they manage the crowd and queue people up nicely. 

I suspect that the Oasis class Windjammer was forced to do this because when they tried to let the crowds manage themselves (like with RCI's other classes of ships) it resulted in a mad house, or over capacity on Oasis class.  Other classes of ships aren't forced to do this, but there is no arguing that it can get very busy (and frustrating) looking for a table for a group of 5 to 7 that we typically have.

One thing I don't remember about the Oasis class Windjammer...  when you are finally let in, do they find you a table?  If not, how did they gauge when to let you (or others) in?  Is it a capacity issue?

Dan

21 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I suspect that the Oasis class Windjammer was forced to do this because when they tried to let the crowds manage themselves (like with RCI's other classes of ships) it resulted in a mad house, or over capacity on Oasis class.  Other classes of ships aren't forced to do this, but there is no arguing that it can get very busy (and frustrating) looking for a table for a group of 5 to 7 that we typically have.

One thing I don't remember about the Oasis class Windjammer...  when you are finally let in, do they find you a table?  If not, how did they gauge when to let you (or others) in?  Is it a capacity issue?

Dan

Yes, if they are running a queue, they will bring you to a table.  That was kind of my point, they really manage it well compared to the disaster of an unmanaged buffet.  And they aren't always running a queue, usually not, actually.  Then you just walk in and grab a table like any other time.

The other ships don't have to do this, but they should!  As I mentioned in my comment, just off Carnival recently and the buffet is an absolute mad house because of the lack of organization.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BNBR said:

Yes, if they are running a queue, they will bring you to a table.  That was kind of my point, they really manage it well compared to the disaster of an unmanaged buffet.  And they aren't always running a queue, usually not, actually.  Then you just walk in and grab a table like any other time.

The other ships don't have to do this, but they should!  As I mentioned in my comment, just off Carnival recently and the buffet is an absolute mad house because of the lack of organization.

When on Harmony recently they just let us in and we had to fend for ourselves to find a table which usually took 15 minutes minimum 

2 minutes ago, Artemus said:

When on Harmony recently they just let us in and we had to fend for ourselves to find a table which usually took 15 minutes minimum 

That sucks.  Not my experience on Harmony, but sad to hear.  Granted, we would NEVER wait 15 minutes for a table at the buffet.  We just go a bit earlier for breakfast or a bit later for lunch and it's always almost empty.  It's really amazing how "typical" people are.  They all show up at the same damn time.  So it's easy to avoid.

7 hours ago, BNBR said:

I agree, other ships should do this. We were on Liberty a few years ago. Windjammer was jammed packed. There were staff inside the buffet shouting at other crew members, trying to direct people to empty tables but it was so noisy that nobody could hear anything. It is so much better to form a que outside of the buffet and show people to a table when one becomes empty.

Just now, molsonschooner said:

I agree, other ships should do this. We were on Liberty a few years ago. Windjammer was jammed packed. There were staff inside the buffet shouting at other crew members, trying to direct people to empty tables but it was so noisy that nobody could hear anything. It is so much better to form a que outside of the buffet and show people to a table when one becomes empty.

Right?  You would think this was a groundbreaking concept!  But going back to Carnival, the ship design doesn't allow it.  There are nearly a dozen entrances to the buffet, people everywhere, zombies all over, wandering around looking for a place to sit.  It's kind of sad.  On Oasis, it's run like any other buffet restaurant.  If there are no tables, you wait and they show you to a table.  Why that's not "normal" is beyond me!!