Has anyone attempted to use an old coffee card recently?

judyjudy56

Glad to hear someone got shipboard credit for their unused coffee card punches after 8/31.  I do believe this would be the appropriate thing for Princess to do.  We have friends who bought a coffee card last year on their cruise with us and understood they could use their unused punches on their next cruise.  They are cruising this December.  They do not read or post on Cruise Critic and had no notice that they might not be able to use their remaining coffee punches on the card they bought.  It's not a large amount of money for Princess to honor those cards with punches remaining.  We all pay a significant amount of money to cruise.  

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 7:15 PM, Scotto97 said:

Amazing how people jump to conclusions, assuming I'll be yelling and throwing a tantrum.

Those tactics hardly ever work, and leads to the embarrassment of the perpetrator and those around him /her.

Nobody wants to help a jerk.......

For me, "Hell to pay" means being a strong negotiator, but always polite and respectful. 

I understand your original point and frustration. We purchased a card for a 2017 cruise that we still have a few punches left on. We only cruise every two years as the year in between is to visit aging relatives. It doesn't seem fair since at the time we purchased in 2017, it didn't have an expiration date.

Even so, if it had one, I probably still would've purchased it. I doubt the loss is more than a few bucks anyways, so meh.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:15 PM, Scotto97 said:

Amazing how people jump to conclusions, assuming I'll be yelling and throwing a tantrum.

Those tactics hardly ever work, and leads to the embarrassment of the perpetrator and those around him /her.

Nobody wants to help a jerk.......

For me, "Hell to pay" means being a strong negotiator, but always polite and respectful. 

I can hear you yelling hear in Virginia!  LOL - That is the same tactic I take, my approach in a situation is usually, a complaint is a gift I'm just trying to make your company better by suggesting a resolution to a known issue. 

Good luck & let us know how it works out. Someone posted that they got 2.50 per leftover punch added to their accounts... 

4 hours ago, victory2020 said:

The one point with the coffee cards(and ANY gift cards) that no one is mentioning is that there will be a certain amount of them that will be lost or forgotten, thus the merchant benefits. I know many Princess cruisers who have told me that they had many coffee cards that they either have misplaced or forgotten to bring with them on subsequent voyages (or maybe some simply thought that they were no good for the next like previous poster). I'm sure this added up to profit for Princess.

It’s really no different than any other package. Some will benefit and exceed the the price paid and some will choose not to use what they paid for and forfeit the unused portion.

13 hours ago, Tina-Ann said:

I just happened to go to the ice cream/espresso counter up on deck 15 (by the pool).  Anyways, he took the card and got my info.  Said it would show up as a credit on my shipboard account...a few days later it was there.

How many punches was it in total? It sounded like it was a hardly used card. 

Has anyone else had this experience on any other ship other than the CB?

19 hours ago, Tina-Ann said:

So I just got off of the Caribbean Princess last week. I had 2 old coffee cards (ya know, the old brown ones?). One card had one punch left on it, the other card was full - no punches out of it. The barista gave me a coffee drink for the one remaining punch and the full card?  They took it, with my name and cabin number and I was credited $2.50 (or $2.75 - can’t remember) per punch. It came out to more than I originally paid. Princess really came through - on the Caribbean!

Sounds like somebody on CB just opened a can of worms!

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, wrongwaywatson said:

I always bought one, but I only used it for brewed coffee.  I don't like "foo-foo" coffees or teas, just brewed coffee.  I used it, usually, on 2 cruises.  On the second cruise they would punch it for a cup.  I had no problem with that.  Now, I will buy as I use them, because it will be cheaper.  It would be nice if they had a coffee plan that only covered brewed coffee.

If we be even nicer if we did not have to pay for a cup of brewed coffee.   Even diners serve brewed coffee!

Times change. Just get over it. The cards are no longer valid. I used to go to a local diner with friends and we would order coffee. It was $0.10 (ten cents) and there were infinite refills. We spent many hours there. Once in a while someone would actually order food but we were young and poor so mostly drank coffee. Try doing that these days...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tip said:

o be clear here, I am talking about brewed coffee.  Yes, you pay for brewed coffee everywhere.  We have paid for coffee when we paid for our cruise.  It states it often that coffee, tea, and iced tea are included.  The cruise includes food in the MDR, buffet, and the International Café and some other venues.  My point is why are we getting syrup based coffee?  Why are we having to pay extra for brewed coffee?

I have yet to sail a Royal class ship but have read many times that coffee in the buffet (and MDR?) on those ships is brewed - not from syrup. Why this is the case only on that class of ship remains a mystery to me.

• Like 1

have a half used coffee card that i purchased in 2011,am going on princess in dec.

i only bought the card Becouse it was valid untill all punchs used,

i cannot fathom how princess cannot simply let the cards cycle out and go forward with  paperless 

the badwill this generates to me is beyond the $20 odd bucks of coffeee i thought i could consume

i now wish i withheld tipping staff,as i am not a happy customer,and over such a trival matter.maybe i will

souvenier something off the next  princess cruise  as just compensation...

3 minutes ago, challis said:

i now wish i withheld tipping staff,as i am not a happy customer,and over such a trival matter.maybe i will

As if it's the staff's fault.....wow. Shameful.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, challis said:

have a half used coffee card that i purchased in 2011,am going on princess in dec.

i cannot fathom how princess cannot simply let the cards cycle out and go forward with  paperless 

the badwill this generates to me is beyond the $20 odd bucks of coffeee i thought i could consume

Yes of course screw over all the staff. That will teach them.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, challis said:

Same here. Although recently there was a post that stated on the CB they were giving credit for unused punches. Maybe there is hope. 

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I don't agree with trying to punish staff for a Corporate HQ decision one doesn't agree with or like.  It's like docking your waiter in a restaurant if a chef poorly cooked your meal.

There are other ways to get compensation. 

I'm also on the Crown and saw a guy with a coffee card turned down this morning. Perhaps it was the same guy that Paul saw yesterday trying to do it again. He did not argue with the server. I sent my coffee cards with leftover punches to someone who was going on a cruise last month. She sent me a nice thank you note and money for postage. I'm glad someone got to use the leftover punches and that they did not go to waste. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I'm also on the Crown and saw a guy with a coffee card turned down this morning. Perhaps it was the same guy that Paul saw yesterday trying to do it again. He did not argue with the server. I sent my coffee cards with leftover punches to someone who was going on a cruise last month. She sent me a nice thank you note and money for postage. I'm glad someone got to use the leftover punches and that they did not go to waste. 

I did the same thing with mine!  My best friend was going on an Alaskan cruise in June and I had a brand new card with no punches punched out on it.  I had used it only for brewed coffee.  I gave it to her, and she and her sister in law had foo-foo coffees every day on me!  It was a 7 day cruise.

Edited by wrongwaywatson
  • Like 1