Questions about Baltic/Scandinavia/N.Europe cruises

Europeantraveler1

My husband and I are contemplating a cruise to London, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Russia, Finland and Sweden (London to Stockholm) on the Marina -July 7-19, 2021.  

If I’m going all the way to Norway, I would have hoped that Oceania would include Bergen so we could see the more majestic fjords. ;0(

I’m a bit disappointed about that and am wondering if there are any of you out there who have done this itinerary?  I definitely wanted to take Oceania (either Riviera or Marina) and that part is great but was this itinerary a ‘winner’ for any out there, or just a ‘so-so” cruise?  Please respond!

We are in our early 70’s and our traveling days abroad are limited.  That is why I am so very interested to get someone’s opinion who has traveled this route as I feel we are spending a lot of $$$ and I want it to be a memory-making cruise. 

Thanking you all very much in advance.....

I was on a similar cruise in June 2017 on the Marina.  It was a wonderful cruise!  We went to all of the ports listed on your itinerary, plus a few more (we were on a 17-day cruise).  Two favorite stops were Kristiansand, Norway and Tallinn, Estonia.  Both were unexpected surprises, with lovely old towns where we just wandered around on our own.  Oslo was also wonderful.  In Warnemunde we took a local tour and did not go to Berlin.  In St. Petersburg we did a two day tour with TJ Travels.  They were excellent.  I highly recommend this itinerary.  We had an added bonus with Jacques Pepin on this cruise.  It was a real treat to meet him, watch his cooking demonstrations, and talk with him.  Very special!

The cruise immediately before yours, "Flourishing Fjords" June 25-July 7 is the Norwegian Fjord cruise is probably the one you're looking for. 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/baltic-cruises/oslo-to-london-MNA210625/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2021|07%2C2021|06%23destinations%3Dbalticandscandinavia%23ships%3DMNA

Perhaps you could add this cruise.  We just returned from these 2 itineraries on Nautica and highly rec'd them.  The ports are wonderful and most are easy to DIY. 

Edited by cbb

Though we did not go to Norway, our first cruise, and our first O cruise was from Stockholm to the UK, by way of Talinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Gdansk, Warnemunde (we went to Berlin), Copenhagen, Zeebrugge, and Dover.  What a great trip!!  Obviously I cannot speak to the stops in Norway however.

In Talinn, a simple, half-day ship's tour is enough.  In Finland, you can walk around Helsinki pretty easily.  We went to some designer museum of home design stuff, though my memory isn't too clear.  We walked around the open-air market at the port, looked at stuff and ate food from one of the vendors.  A fun city.  We also did private tours in St. Petersburg, and it was well worth it.  Find some people on your Roll Call to get a group of six or eight, and the cost is quite reasonable.  Make sure to ask to see a subway station or two (watch out for pickpockets there, but they are beautiful).  The Hermitage is a "must" of course, but so is Catherine's Palace.  In Warnemunde we took a private tour to Berlin.  IF you do that, ask to include the Pergamon Museum with its incredible rebuilding of ancient sites from fragments recovered from Babylon and elsewhere.  We stumbled on it, and it was the highlight of the day and one of the highlights of the entire cruise.

You will love the cruise, I am sure.

• Like 1

My wife and I just did this itinerary with another couple.  I think you will enjoy the ports.  We thought Berlin was too far to go just for the day, so we took a tour called Friends of Dave and saw, among other things, Schwerin Castle, which was a highlight.  If I had it to do over again, I would look for an itinerary that had 2 overnights in St. Petersburg.  It was by far the best port with the most to do.  

Back to OP's first comment, we've been to Bergen several times -- which yes, is well worth a visit -- but is not really close to the fjords that OP wants to see.  To see those I think you really need a cruise that goes further north.  Oslo and Bergen (and also Kristiansand as well as Krisansund) are wonderful ports.  But they aren't that close to fjords. 

They might be close enough if you are on a land trip ... but on a cruise visit of one day, nope.

Having said that, this is still a lovely itinerary.

Mura

• Like 1

Europeantraveler1,

The cruise you highlighted is not really your best choice for fjords. Bergen is lovely but it is a coastal town and you cannot experience fjords.

I understand wanting to stay with Oceania but look for other itineraries that would include Geiranger which has a fantastic sail in sail out. 

Also keep in mind that some of the best road routes may not open until late May or June.  We were there on another line and it was so frustrating to gaze at the heights we couldn't access in mid May.

We did a Baltic on Azamara and loved our three nights in St. Petersburg. I was there before on a land trip and anything less than three nights just doesn't do St. Petersburg justice. After 10 nights there my list of must sees is shorter but it's still a list.

I agree with the others, Talinn and Warnemunde/Rostock are an antidote to the big cities. While exhausting a trip to Berlin is worthwhile if you have a focus like a ethnic or religious tour.

I hope you find your perfect sailing.

this is the itinerary that is immediately before the one OP liked;

oslo, Norway

Embark 1 PM 9 PM
Jun 26 Sat Skagen, Denmark 8 AM 5 PM
Jun 27 Sun Stavanger, Norway 8 AM 5 PM
Jun 28 Mon Flam (Sognefjord), Norway 8 AM 3 PM
Jun 29 Tue Geiranger (Geirangerfjord), Norway 7 AM 3 PM
Jun 29 Tue Hellesylt, Norway 5 PM 8 PM
Jun 30 Wed Kristiansund, Norway 7 AM 3 PM
Jul 1 Thu Bodo, Norway 10 AM 6 PM
Jul 2 Fri Trondheim, Norway 12 PM 10 PM
Jul 3 Sat Alesund, Norway 10 AM 8 PM
Jul 4 Sun Bergen, Norway 8 AM 11 PM
Jul 5 Mon Haugesund, Norway 8 AM 5 PM
Jul 6 Tue Cruising the North Sea    
Jul 7 Wed london
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cbb said:

this is the itinerary that is immediately before the one OP liked;

oslo, Norway

Embark 1 PM 9 PM
Jun 26 Sat Skagen, Denmark 8 AM 5 PM
Jun 27 Sun Stavanger, Norway 8 AM 5 PM
Jun 28 Mon Flam (Sognefjord), Norway 8 AM 3 PM
Jun 29 Tue Geiranger (Geirangerfjord), Norway 7 AM 3 PM
Jun 29 Tue Hellesylt, Norway 5 PM 8 PM
Jun 30 Wed Kristiansund, Norway 7 AM 3 PM
Jul 1 Thu Bodo, Norway 10 AM 6 PM
Jul 2 Fri Trondheim, Norway 12 PM 10 PM
Jul 3 Sat Alesund, Norway 10 AM 8 PM
Jul 4 Sun Bergen, Norway 8 AM 11 PM
Jul 5 Mon Haugesund, Norway 8 AM 5 PM
Jul 6 Tue Cruising the North Sea    
Jul 7 Wed london

And for Fjords, that's the one. Day in Flam, day in Geiranger, and fjords from Alesund etc. if you can't get enough.

• Like 2

That's a terrific itinerary.

Don't be dismayed about the short time in Geiranger because the sail through the fjord is the jewel.

A little more time in Flam would have been better but as they say port times can change.

And, don't forget you will be in almost total daylight throughout the itinerary.

Thanks everyone!  I do believe we are leaning strongly towards the Marina itinerary called “North Sea Artistry”.  

London; Kristiansand; Oslo; Copenhagen; Berlin; Tallinn; St. Petersburg; Helsinki; Stockholm.  We would arrange a flight out of London to Bergen several days beforehand; stay in Bergen and schedule a fjord tour for a couple of days when there. Then, fly back to London to board the Marina.  The BTB on Oceania was awesome but would cost us a fortune. 

We just LOVE Oceania!  HAL and the Niew Statendam had a 21-day cruise that combined the fjords with the other destinations BUT.....you have to pay extra for a lot of things like specialty restaurant dining, etc...

Yes, Oceania is more expensive but....we took a cruise on the Riviera a few years ago and absolutely fell in love!  Marina is going to be refurbished in 2020 and our cruise will be in 2021....so an updated version of her beautiful sister ship, Riviera!

2 minutes ago, Europeantraveler1 said:

We would arrange a flight out of London to Bergen several days beforehand; stay in Bergen and schedule a fjord tour for a couple of days when there. Then, fly back to London to board the Marina. 

Are you doing your own air ?

Maybe you could fly into Bergen  & save  the r/t London/Bergen flight

just a thought

On 9/27/2019 at 11:54 AM, Europeantraveler1 said:

LHT28:  Yes..at this point we are planning on using our points for the airfare but your point is well-taken!  Bergen, actually, has an international airport so it is a possibility!

Thanks!

We flew Norwegian Air but had to connect through LGW.  Don't know about other airlines.