Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
lenquixote66

Ship menus

Does anyone collect ship menu’s ? I do not have an original but I have a copy of the menu from a ship that sailed from Liverpool to NY in 1913.

I can't say I collect the contemporary paper copies. I do take pictures of the posted menus. (Carnival and Princess post copies next to the dining rooms.) It was interesting to recently discover that Coral Princess and Caribbean Princess have old P&O menus displayed in their Wheelhouse Bars. (I took photos of those, too!) I think in those days, the menu was intended as more of a souvenir of the voyage than it is now. The name of the ship and more was printed on it, especially if it was gala dinner. Now they carry  just the name of the cruise line. I don't know what the dining room staff would say if one asked to take a souvenir menu.

Yes, I do.  For some time, I tried to get every MDR dinner menu for each evening.  I have many.  Recently, I have been taking photos of the dinner menus (or of other meals as well from time to time).  On my most recent cruises on Princess and HAL to/from Alaska, I collected the dinner menus in order to provide more information to a friend considering an Alaska cruise in 2020, but on which Line.

I enjoy reviewing them in conjunction with my journal.  

As a collector of maritime memorabilia, I also have other menus that are now "historic".  I enjoy being a collector of such.