Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Macdaddy123

Misleading itinerary

Recommended Posts

Per Norwegian’s Worldwide Cruising Guide 2919-2020 p.129, the 14 day cruise to Amsterdam,Iceland,Ireland, etc, there are two days spent in each Amsterdam and Dublin. No days at sea are  listed. In reality there is 1 day and an “overnight” of 1 hour in each of these ports. Why bother listing “overnight “?

Sunday September 29 lists Amsterdam...departing 1am. No mention of 23+ hours of September 29 being spent at sea. 

The same misleading, less than clear, information is listed for Dublin. 

I have cruised with other lines and found no such misleads. 

I am voting for clearer itineraries from NCL. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Macdaddy123 said:

Per Norwegian’s Worldwide Cruising Guide 2919-2020 p.129, the 14 day cruise to Amsterdam,Iceland,Ireland, etc, there are two days spent in each Amsterdam and Dublin. No days at sea are  listed. In reality there is 1 day and an “overnight” of 1 hour in each of these ports. Why bother listing “overnight “?

Sunday September 29 lists Amsterdam...departing 1am. No mention of 23+ hours of September 29 being spent at sea. 

The same misleading, less than clear, information is listed for Dublin. 

I have cruised with other lines and found no such misleads. 

I am voting for clearer itineraries from NCL. 

 

 

Are you saying that no times are mentioned in the brochure? If yes I agree with you that they could be clearer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearer maybe, but I think your post is getting a bit nit picky. As long as they have all the ports listed they are not misleading anyone.. 🙉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It says the ship is in each port on two different days, not that it is in the each port for two days.  The ship could arrive at 10 PM on Monday and leave at 2 AM on Tuesday and you could say the ship was in port on Monday and Tuesday.  One should not believe they are going to find the truth, the whole, and nothing but the truth in a brochure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned the hard way to look at the times on the itinerary. Sometimes you have to search

really hard to get the information. Advertising is going to put the best spin on things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Macdaddy123 said:

Per Norwegian’s Worldwide Cruising Guide 2919-2020 p.129, the 14 day cruise to Amsterdam,Iceland,Ireland, etc, there are two days spent in each Amsterdam and Dublin. No days at sea are  listed. In reality there is 1 day and an “overnight” of 1 hour in each of these ports. Why bother listing “overnight “?

Sunday September 29 lists Amsterdam...departing 1am. No mention of 23+ hours of September 29 being spent at sea. 

The same misleading, less than clear, information is listed for Dublin. 

I have cruised with other lines and found no such misleads. 

I am voting for clearer itineraries from NCL. 

 

 

You should follow your on advice concerning clarity of the written word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to read that 3 times before I finally grasped their complaint.....which was over things not being clearly stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who uses paper brochures anymore?  I would absolutely be verifying the itinerary online at the time of booking as those brochures could have been printed over a year before (depending on when you're booking) and the cruise line could have changed the trip several times since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mugtech said:

It says the ship is in each port on two different days, not that it is in the each port for two days.  The ship could arrive at 10 PM on Monday and leave at 2 AM on Tuesday and you could say the ship was in port on Monday and Tuesday.  One should not believe they are going to find the truth, the whole, and nothing but the truth in a brochure.

So, you’re making a fuss over what “could me”?  What is the truth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, you’re making a fuss over what “could me”?  What is the truth?

Not making a fuss, just saying a brochure is not a good source of the truth.  Have no idea how to make a fuss over what "could me".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously, any printed brochure for a travel organization is going to be out of date about 10 minutes after it finishes at the printer, but as enticing marketing materials go it works for those folks who aren't constantly online.  Car companies still publish a shwanky brochure for their cars even though you can't know what you're going to exactly get until you go into the dealership and endure time with the salespeople and their odd math (sorry, I'm bitter about the car buying process).

 

With that said - the interesting thing about the question at hand is the dead of night departure from one port.   For me, a 9 am arrival in Dublin and a departure at 4am means that instead of having a faux pub experience at O'Shehans you would actually have a full evening in a pretty great city.    Just don't expect to pass a breathalizer test during reboarding.  Sounds like a fun day/evening.

 

On the one itinerary that I found that was similar to the one the OP described it had the "second day" in Dublin (leaving at 4am) but a random one hour stop in Hellesylt, Norway.  (8am to 9am.)  Seems odd to me unless it's a port like Colon, Panama where the purpose is to pick up folks from excursions, even then that's a VERY tight window.

 

At the end of the day, marketing is marketing - designed to get you to part with your money.  This is why the pool photos only have the one super sexy person with their umbrella cocktail on the sparkling blue day.   That's the dream they are selling.   The ship is technically in Dublin on two separate days, that isn't a lie.   The assumption that there will be time on both days to explore...well I choose not to think of that as intentional diseption. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess what!  They can be 5 minutes out from a port and change their minds and take you somewhere else not even IN your brochure, and there's not a thing you can do about it once you're on board.

Read your passenger contract.

You realize you can relax and save your energy being upset about real problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time to rely on anything printed with regard to itineraries was left many years ago. They're no good beyond being guidelines. (And frankly would wish the big TA I used would stop freaking sending them to me already.) If I want to know anything I'm going online to the source. (Though even though that's not always up to date!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 7:09 AM, Peachypooh said:

I learned the hard way to look at the times on the itinerary. Sometimes you have to search

really hard to get the information. Advertising is going to put the best spin on things. 

we do the same. Even if it is one day, does that mean they arrive at 10am and leave at 2pm or does it mean we will wake up in our new port and not leave until 8pm? If for no other reason we want to judge the time of our tours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TPgal said:

Obviously, any printed brochure for a travel organization is going to be out of date about 10 minutes after it finishes at the printer, but as enticing marketing materials go it works for those folks who aren't constantly online.  Car companies still publish a shwanky brochure for their cars even though you can't know what you're going to exactly get until you go into the dealership and endure time with the salespeople and their odd math (sorry, I'm bitter about the car buying process).

 

With that said - the interesting thing about the question at hand is the dead of night departure from one port.   For me, a 9 am arrival in Dublin and a departure at 4am means that instead of having a faux pub experience at O'Shehans you would actually have a full evening in a pretty great city.    Just don't expect to pass a breathalizer test during reboarding.  Sounds like a fun day/evening.

 

On the one itinerary that I found that was similar to the one the OP described it had the "second day" in Dublin (leaving at 4am) but a random one hour stop in Hellesylt, Norway.  (8am to 9am.)  Seems odd to me unless it's a port like Colon, Panama where the purpose is to pick up folks from excursions, even then that's a VERY tight window.

 

At the end of the day, marketing is marketing - designed to get you to part with your money.  This is why the pool photos only have the one super sexy person with their umbrella cocktail on the sparkling blue day.   That's the dream they are selling.   The ship is technically in Dublin on two separate days, that isn't a lie.   The assumption that there will be time on both days to explore...well I choose not to think of that as intentional diseption. 

The 1-hour stop in Hellesylt allows only those passengers off who are taking a bus tour to the next stop, which I think was Geiranger.  It's kind of strange, but it's a beautiful sail-in to Hellesylt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...