Has anyone tried Moderno on the Escape? Is it worth the $46pp??

DimSum

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 7:14 AM, newmexicoNita said:

So tell us  why? Have you ever eaten there, is this not your type of meal, have you had crappy food? Just curious why? 

I have dined there a number of times on a few different ships and always had a dining experience below my expectations. 

I find the meat to be under seasoned, bland and generally of low quality. The service has also been a let down compared to other restaurants. Really long wait times between meats.

The meat that comes out with either be burnt to a crisp or almost raw with nothing in between. If you like a particular cut or type of meat you need to stock up on it when the goucho comes with it the first time because there is a good chance that's the only chance your going to get at it.

Seems to me, the "price" they charge is not related to what the meal is "worth" so much as it is a filter to limit the number of people who go there. If it gets too crowded, they just raise the price until enough people quit going. Price not equals quality.

The whole specialty dining concept now seems to revolve around the packages or loyalty benefits that mean you don't pay for the meal. Everyone who has a perk is going to use it, and if most everyone has a perk and the restaurants only have so much capacity, they really are not set up well to cater to those paying out of pocket.

The most obvious example of that is the unlimited drink package... who would pay $119 pp a day, every single day, for drinks?

Just how it seems to me.

We always enjoy Moderno, last time was the Escape in June of 2019. I look forward to the salad bar more so than the meats.  I look forward to using the SDP at the various venues. I would not pay for Specialty dining packages as we enjoy the MDRs. We earn platinum level in February on the Dawn, so the next cruise we will have more specialty nights.

W have had dinner there quite a few times and it has been good. The last time two weeks ago we went there on the Escape it was so bad I had them refund my money. The service was the worst, salad bar plates sat on the table over 25 minutes while the side dishes got cold. some of the meat was so tough you could not chew it.  The waiter brought new sides after we were finished eating. I complained at the service desk the next morning and spoke to the restaurant manager who said he was sorry and refunded my money and invited us back the next night. I told him I wasn't looking for another free meal and thanked him for the offer. 

15 hours ago, SlipperyVic said:

I have dined there a number of times on a few different ships and always had a dining experience below my expectations. 

I find the meat to be under seasoned, bland and generally of low quality. The service has also been a let down compared to other restaurants. Really long wait times between meats.

The meat that comes out with either be burnt to a crisp or almost raw with nothing in between. If you like a particular cut or type of meat you need to stock up on it when the goucho comes with it the first time because there is a good chance that's the only chance your going to get at it.

thanks for your explanation and it certainly makes sense as to why you were under impressed  Luckily,for us the experience has been the opposite most of the time. I do remember a couple of times when we were not overly impressed. We will find out next week on the Breakaway. Our last experience on the Dawn was the best food we have had at Moderno's  We were on the Dawn. All 4 of us were much more impressed than we were with Cagney's or La Cucino's. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kayhil3 said:

W have had dinner there quite a few times and it has been good. The last time two weeks ago we went there on the Escape it was so bad I had them refund my money. The service was the worst, salad bar plates sat on the table over 25 minutes while the side dishes got cold. some of the meat was so tough you could not chew it.  The waiter brought new sides after we were finished eating. I complained at the service desk the next morning and spoke to the restaurant manager who said he was sorry and refunded my money and invited us back the next night. I told him I wasn't looking for another free meal and thanked him for the offer. 

Glad you complained. We have only done this once. It as in Le Bistro and there were 8 of us. Part of the problem was one of the 8 who was a royal PITA. We had cruised with her before and she the same pain then, but the rest of the problems were not her fault. The service was just awful. We did complain the next day and were given a free dinner. this was prior to any dinner package. The dinner was only for the 2 of us...Sometimes complaining and doing it with tact is the right thing to do. 

Moderno was one of our choices on our cruise in July and we liked it.  It was part of our plan, so we didn't pay the $46.00, but the food and the service were excellent. My husband likes his meat well done and they had no issues coming back with a whole slew of different meats cooked as he liked it.  I really enjoyed the salad bar.  The desserts were delicious.  We probably would pay if we didn't get it with our 3 meal plan.  

I find food quality differs tremendously from ship to ship. I’ve been on NCL ships where the food was wonderful, from Buffets, MDRs, and specialty restaurants. I’ve also been on ships where the food has been mediocre. We were on the Escape on the 9/1/19 sailing & 9/8/19 sailing.  Moderno was really good the first sailing. All meats were really rare but tasty. The second sailing, meats were more well done but service was terrible and it took so long to eat. I’d decline Moderno if I was paying out of pocket. Doing B2B Cruises, we tried all the specialty restaurants. Some of them more than once. If I was paying out of pocket, I’d suggest Cagney’s, Le Bistro & Bayamo. Those were the best, we found, on the Escape. Have a great cruise! 

We only get three free meals with the SDP and after further review we're going with Bayamo, Cagney's and Le Bistro.

I need to change two of my reservations away from Teppanyaki and Moderno - will do that at boarding.

So, Moderno did not make the cut. I've seen some videos where the guy liked the meat fest and the gal did not, so in consideration of my better half I will forego this experience. I know we could still go and pay the cover charge out of pocket, but don't think it's worth the money.

Same with Teppanyaki. Done that a bunch including on a prior NCL cruise.