Polo Grill Trilogy of Sliders

ricka47

Soon we will be on our first Oceania cruise and, unlike my wife, I watch the videos and look at sample menus.  One thing that intrigues me is the "Trilogy of Sliders" in Polo Grill. Now, I'm from the South Side of Chicago.  So, when I think of sliders, I think White Castle which would not be fitting for this venue.  Yet, the three items included sounds good to me despite the title.

Food is subjective to be sure, but I wonder if anyone has opinions or experience with this dish?

6 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Soon we will be on our first Oceania cruise and, unlike my wife, I watch the videos and look at sample menus.  One thing that intrigues me is the "Trilogy of Sliders" in Polo Grill. Now, I'm from the South Side of Chicago.  So, when I think of sliders, I think White Castle which would not be fitting for this venue.  Yet, the three items included sounds good to me despite the title.

Food is subjective to be sure, but I wonder if anyone has opinions or experience with this dish?

Had I never left Brooklyn, I'd tend to agree with your White Castle observation. But, I have lived in NorCal for a very long time and the first thought that "sliders" now evokes for me is pulled pork w/cole slaw.

Though I've never ordered the Polo slider trilogy, you may as well try it. After all, there's no limit on how many times you can dine in any Oceania specialty restaurant (as long as there's space available and you're flexible about timing and sharing tables.

Remember too that you can order multiple items (and, for some items, you could always ask for an appetizer sized portion).

in NC 'sliders' often mean 3 mini sandwiches that you can order from several offerings:  pulled pork & slaw, bbq chicken, hamburger (or cheeseburger) brisket (usually bbq)with grilled onions, etc. 

You can have 2 of 1 kind, 1 of the other or 3 different ones.

btw, nobody in NC worries about your religion or your politics, but they DO take their BBQ (are you eastern or western--gawd forbid that you like Memphis-style) and their college basketball VERY seriously.  (I know students who rejected admissions to universities here simply based on their basketball team allegiance--medical, MBA, and law schools they relaxed their standards!!!)

Edited by cbb

6 minutes ago, cbb said:

in NC 'sliders' often mean 3 mini sandwiches that you can order from several offerings:  pulled pork & slaw, bbq chicken, hamburger (or cheeseburger) brisket (usually bbq)with grilled onions, etc. 

You can have 2 of 1 kind, 1 of the other or 3 different ones.

btw, nobody in NC worries about your religion or your politics, but they DO take their BBQ (are you eastern or western--gawd forbid that you like Memphis-style) and their college basketball VERY seriously.  (I know students who rejected admissions to universities here simply based on their basketball team allegiance--medical, MBA, and law schools they relaxed their standards!!!)

I worked for FedEx for 28 years and lived in or had meetings in Memphis often.  I have to admit (sorry) that I did learn to like the Memphis-style of BBQ.

yeah, i'm with you on memphis/Kansas City BBQ and it tastes a lot like Texas BBQ

eastern NC bbq has no tomatoes and is vinegar based--and is more of a 'wash' than a sauce; western aka Piedmont or Lexington Dip also has vinegar but has ketchup added (or sometimes tomato sauce). SCarolina adds mustard to their bbq sauce

much prefer the  old Kansas City style --tangy, thick, sweet...the kind where you don't bother with napkins --a roll of paper towels is part of the table settings! 

In May on the Riviera our DIL ordered the sliders.  She left most of the dish, not memorable, her words.  That was just a one time experience.  You might order the sliders for the table.  A sampling for everyone.  If they are "yummy" per msn123, you can always order a second serving for yourself.  Just a thought.  -Katie

You could order the Kobe Beef slider as an app, the "best" of the three.   The rest are forgettable, apparently not ordered often, and in my experience, the bun was very dry. 

If you just have one or two reservations for Polo -- don't waste it on this as an entree.

Edited by BarbaraM
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Well, I think that I won't try the sliders as my main course.  We're sharing a table so maybe we could agree to try them as an appetizer.  We'll see; thanks for the feedback!

We're planning on almost all of our dinners being shared apps.  That's how we dine out at home.  Little bits of a number of things and no waste.