Oslo accessible Excursions

shel003

I will be traveling with Princess Cruises next year on the Island Princess with a stop in Oslo Norway.  I signed up for a shore excursion through the cruise line called "The Best of Oslo without lunch".  The description had the handicap icon next to it and the detailed itinerary stated that the motorcoach was wheelchair accessible and "steps could be avoided", however when I contacted the shore excursion office on a different matter, they informed me that the motor coach did not have a motorized lift.  I replied asking for clarification based on what the excursion description stated and inquired whether there may be a ramp instead.  The excursion office was not able to clarify and only knew that there was no motorized lift and suggested that I wait until on board the ship and ask that excursion desk about my options.  I would rather not wait until the last minute only to find out I can't see the sights that I would like.  Has anyone taken this excursion and may be able to help clarify whether it's truly accessible????

How brave are you? I cannot offer any info regarding a ship's tour, however Oslo is fairly easy to do on your own.

We scooted from the ship to the main metro station and took the metro to Frogner Park station. After visiting the park, we headed back toward town on our own to the Palace. There was a nasty hill getting up to the Palace, so we took it easy going up. The Palace grounds were beautiful, however I do not know if the Palace is open to the public or not. Anyway, we continued east to the other side of town to visit the “Mini” bottle museum. Unfortunately it was closed that day. From that point, we headed south to Akershus Fortress... another hill to climb. Visited the various sights up there and then took the path down the hill to the ship. That was before we had the heavy duty batteries and we carried a spare set. However, ever since I switched to the 15AH, I can get a lot more mileage and no longer carry a spare set. I believe most of the suppliers now offer the 12 V, 15 AH in the conventional gel cell batteries now.

The Scandinavian countries offer accessible public transportation. Denmark did not allow scooters on the buses, regardless their trains are accessible and used for city transportation.

Your ship is small enough that there is a good chance you will dock at Langelinie in Copenhagen. From Langelinie, you can scoot right into town on your own. Of course, if the ship docks at Oceankaj you would probably need transportation out of the port. I do not believe the metro is completed in that area. However, the train just outside the port does offer transportation into town. Hope you are use to cobblestones. You might want to try lunch at Torvehallerne in Copenhagen. Specifically, “fish and chips”. I've enjoyed fish and chips in London a couple times, regardless, Torvehallerne has them beat.

Be sure to take your parking placard with you. Most the sights in Europe and Great Britain will let your “helper” in free at the various sights.

Please verify any “accessible” ship's tour you book. Many times they are just transporting your device and you may be expected to get on and off the bus on your own.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty