Why Do You Cruise?

WoodstockGirl

Have lately been "analyzing" the whole cruising dynamic with family members.  DH and I often tell people we have "two categories of cruises": 1. Caribbean and 2. Everywhere Else. A Caribbean cruise is simply to get away during the winter, to relax, be pampered, be warm, be entertained, let someone else cook (and serve and clean up), etc.  Whereas the "Everywhere Else" cruises are to actually get off the ship in various locations, tour around and sight see.  Two different motivations and purposes.  Another family member says he prefers making his own itinerary and plans when touring other lands, and not have to conform to the itinerary of the cruise, so he isn't attracted to cruising for that reason. I started wondering about many of you here - especially those who've cruised dozens (hundreds!) of times, all over the world, sometimes repeating the same cruises.  What is it that keeps you coming back to cruising over and over again as your preferred style of travel? 

• Like 1

I like cruising mainly because it reminds me of my childhood. Growing up, we went on a cruise every year, and I just loved it. That's why now, I like an old-school vibe on ships (like Princess), because it reminds me of cruising in the 80s. I love eating in the MDR, dressing up a bit for dinner, the shows, etc. And I love being on the ocean!

Another thing I like about cruising is the fact that I can go places I'd like to visit, but would be too nervous or intimidated to travel to on my own. For example, Indonesia or Papua New Guinea. I'd love to see them, but I wouldn't plan a trip there myself. I like the comfort of having a nice big ship take me there. And the efficiency of being able to see more places without having to arrange travel for each one, and being in one place one day and then another the next, without having to do anything other than hang out on a ship..that's so appealing!

• Like 1

Two major reasons:

a) to unplug - when I am on a land based vacation I am never free from my office and devices

b) to sample - especially in Europe and the Caribbean. 20+ years ago when we started cruising again, we used the ships as floating hotels to hit a lot of destinations (Dubrovnik, Corsica, Menoric, Riga, etc) that we might not have stopped at otherwise.

• Like 1

Having 84 cruises behind us & 4 new ones coming up ,tells you we love cruising .Reasons are many  .We love the oceans of the world , My DW only needs  to decide on what she is wearing that day  .all meals are prepared for us with so many different choices &  there is no house work  . We travel to different ports to see & be immersed into different cultures on one cruise trip 

• Like 1

Cruising is a fairly simple way to travel. I don't have to research and book lodgings in multiple cities. Neither do I have to think about where I'll eat (other than which onboard venue to enjoy that night.) It's all paid for before leaving home. I also ditto the reasons others have listed above.

• Like 3

Cruising is special in a way that perhaps cannot be described well.  There is just a feeling you get when you are on a cruise ship.  It's not like any other type of travel.  I'll never forget the first cruise I went on (Crown Princess, she was brand new). I stepped on that ship and was transported.  It was amazing and every cruise I've taken has been too.  I have been off cruising for almost 4 years and have one scheduled for December. I cannot wait to have that feeling again.  Sky Princess looks like she will not disappoint.

• Like 4

We just had our first cruise ever, chose Princess specifically, for our 25th anniversary in mid-May.

In addition to what has been stated here, I reiterate the freedom to relax and do what we want, when we want, where we want.  I got to set feet in three Alaska ports for my first time ever in Alaska plus Glacier Bay was so enchanting.  My balcony provided scenery I cannot get on a land trip.  No house work, no dishes, no interruptions on the telephone (they will just get our answering machine back at the house), and it saves us the tiring drive of land vacations.  We do not fly, so we need to pick piers within a reasonable distance, but I still do not feel limited.  The cruises at those piers will take us to desirable locations and just allow us to enjoy ourselves leisurely.  Floating hotel?  More like a floating palace.  We are saving up to go again, just not sure where or when.

• Like 1

It's like the first time you smoke a cigarette.  That buzz is incredible for a 12 year old.

The serotonin coursing through your body makes you feel like everything you worried about your whole life wasn't even important anymore.

I took a 14 day Grand Princess in 2006 from Rome, up to the French Riviera, down through the Bay of Naples, with Vesuvious towering in the background, gazed up at Etna passing through the Straight of Sicily, sat on my state room bed and watched the tiny Greek islands in the distance passing by like planets drifting past a space ship porthole, took my shoes off to feel the clay tile sidewalks in Mykonos and Corfu under my feet, and sat in my 3rd floor room of the Palazzo Santangelo overlooking the Grand Canal in Venice and cried my eyes out at how beautiful the view was toward the Rialto.

I've been chasing that monkey every since.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

It's like the first time you smoke a cigarette.  That buzz is incredible for a 12 year old.

The serotonin coursing through your body makes you feel like everything you worried about your whole life wasn't even important anymore.

I took a 14 day Grand Princess in 2006 from Rome, up to the French Riviera, down through the Bay of Naples, with Vesuvious towering in the background, gazed up at Etna passing through the Straight of Sicily, sat on my state room bed and watched the tiny Greek islands in the distance passing by like planets drifting past a space ship porthole, took my shoes off to feel the clay tile sidewalks in Mykonos and Corfu under my feet, and sat in my 3rd floor room of the Palazzo Santangelo overlooking the Grand Canal in Venice and cried my eyes out at how beautiful the view was toward the Rialto.

I've been chasing that monkey every since.

I was expecting to read you ate the last mango in Paris ... but yeah ... what a trip and lifetime experiences ..

• Like 1

I have little money.

I am going on a 28-day cruise from LA to Sydney in a few days. There is simple NO other way I could afford anything approaching this with any other venue. I am a true 'Hillbilly', but always dreamed of seeing the World. Never actually thought it could happen. This is a perfect retirement for me.

• Like 3

We were just so tired of driving everywhere on holiday- even at a beach resort we'd hire a car to see more of the area- and our first cruise was amazing when we glided into the first port and could either go on an excursion or just wander around. 

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Two major reasons:

a) to unplug - when I am on a land based vacation I am never free from my office and devices

b) to sample - especially in Europe and the Caribbean. 20+ years ago when we started cruising again, we used the ships as floating hotels to hit a lot of destinations (Dubrovnik, Corsica, Menoric, Riga, etc) that we might not have stopped at otherwise.

By 'sampling, does that mean if you liked a port that you would then return on your own and spend more time there?

8 hours ago, WoodstockGirl said:

Two different motivations and purposes.  Another family member says he prefers making his own itinerary and plans when touring other lands, and not have to conform to the itinerary of the cruise, so he isn't attracted to cruising for that reason.

My reason is neither of your two motivations........I cruise because I have not found a better way for me to relax and find an inner calm than on a cruise with an extended number of sea days.   I don't want, and generally avoid, a lot of ports - the fewer the better - though I do like embarking or disembarking in a place where I want to spend some extra time visiting.  When I visit other places, I too like to make my own plans and schedule, so those are always land trips (or 4-10 days before or after a cruise).   A 3 week transpacific cruise with only 1 or 2 stops along the way is perfect, and I'll spend a week or two in Japan, Australia, or New Zealand as well if I can.  Being in the middle of the ocean, while enjoying the services and food of the cruise ship, is perfect.

The only exceptions will be to places where I can't (or don't feel comfortable) travelling solo - right now Russia and the Middle East are planned - and I have cruises booked to those places where I will take excursions and organized tours.   I will hopefully get an opportunity in the future to do the same to see Turkey (and Morocco) - 2 other places I want to see and won't go alone.    

• Like 1