Why Do You Cruise?

WoodstockGirl

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

All I know is you said, "we live nestled in a mountain range and the only one that works well is Verizon." If VZ works well then the MVNO will work well since it's the same. If VZ isn't good, then the MVNO won't be good.

It works well for talk and text.  Not for internet.

Thus, a smart-phone would not be good for us.  Plus there is the data charges to consider if it did work well.  I do not have to worry about that with my Frontier internet.  Using my computer and tablet for internet costs nothing extra.  Using a phone for internet would.  Verizon gives you 250 M.B. for internet but we only use our flip-phone for talk and text.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am entitled to my opinion

Yup, and I was just pointing out to you that life was simpler FOR YOU, but it wasn't necessarily simpler for others so it's not really legitimate to look at societal situations and call it all simpler.  Yes, it's your opinion, but it's unrealistic.

3 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Yup, and I was just pointing out to you that life was simpler FOR YOU, but it wasn't necessarily simpler for others so it's not really legitimate to look at societal situations and call it all simpler.  Yes, it's your opinion, but it's unrealistic.

I can quote from various well known people who I have known and I am sure you would disagree with their point of you but that is solely based on opinion and does not make it right or wrong.

2 hours ago, Lindaru said:

It works well for talk and text.  Not for internet. Thus, a smart-phone would not be good for us.  Plus there is the data charges to consider if it did work well.  I do not have to worry about that with my Frontier internet.  Using my computer and tablet for internet costs nothing extra.  Using a phone for internet would.  Verizon gives you 250 M.B. for internet but we only use our flip-phone for talk and text.

Ah, got it. Here is the deal though with Straight Talk (Walmart's brand of TracFone). For $45 a month you get unlimited talk and text nationwide. That alone is cheaper than most flip phone plans that have limited minutes and text.

Then the Straight Talk $45 plan includes unlimited data. The only catch is that after 25G, the connection slows down. For primarily talk and text there is a $34 plan with 3G of high speed data.

Yes, McCall runs on 3-G.

Rite Aid and Radio Shack (the only places we have for electronics) do not even carry some brands of phones because they will not work here.

Our nearest Wal-Mart is 100 miles from us.

We do have indoor plumbing though.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

Love, Love, Love cruising! It's the best way to visit multiple ports in such a short time. Love the ocean too!

Side note to tech thread: I always thought sea days would be boring and that cruising was a way to see places without unpacking at s better price point. But on my Santiago to LA cruise (6 ports / 16 days) I discovered I love sea days! There's so much to do inc just hanging out doing next to nothing!

• Like 1

Thanks so much to those who shared why they love cruising. For me it’s the sense of awe in the early morning on a ship, or going out on the deck at night to look at the stars. Inspiring and peaceful at the same time. 

I hope to hear more about the experiences of others.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, scottca075 said:

Ah, got it. Here is the deal though with Straight Talk (Walmart's brand of TracFone). For $45 a month you get unlimited talk and text nationwide. That alone is cheaper than most flip phone plans that have limited minutes and text.

Then the Straight Talk $45 plan includes unlimited data. The only catch is that after 25G, the connection slows down. For primarily talk and text there is a $34 plan with 3G of high speed data.

I have Cricket Wireless.  $35 a month (paid by my employer) for unlimited talk and text and 5 GB for data which is WAY more than I'll ever need.  The Samsung Android phone that came with my plan was free, too. I've been with Cricket for 3 years with no problems.

Edited by Bookish Angel
  • Like 1