What is not to miss at Horizon Court on Royal Princess?

tjcletzgo

The Royal class ships have such good food that many people don't even bother with the DR except for a few special nights. 

Most of the ships will have bread pudding available for lunch and/or dinner but it's not certain to say for sure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tjcletzgo said:

Breakfast, lunch and dinner?  Plus when is bread pudding available?

The Royal and Regal have bread pudding with awesome warm vanilla sauce in the dessert area every morning for breakfast.  This has been my experience since that is all I have for breakfast every day on every cruise.  YUM!!!

• Like 1

Obviously food is quite subjective, but my personal favorites are...the eggs over medium, waffles, stollen, lemon danishes, crispy bacon they keep hidden under the counter, the giant wok of shrimp prepared a variety of ways throughout the cruise, Mongolian bbq, German night, and Grandma’s Chocolate Cake. Many love the chocolate buffet and seafood extravaganza; I love looking at them but not partaking of them. 

25 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

OMG  Pam they all look sooooooo good. 😁 I remember them well 😳😁

Tony

Yeah... going to the buffet is not as awful as some think. I’ve taken several cruises and didn’t go to the dining room once. One cruise, there was a large group of us that met in the buffet every night and had a ball. I often see people dressed up eating in the buffet. 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Obviously food is quite subjective, but my personal favorites are...the eggs over medium, waffles, stollen, lemon danishes, crispy bacon they keep hidden under the counter, the giant wok of shrimp prepared a variety of ways throughout the cruise, Mongolian bbq, German night, and Grandma’s Chocolate Cake. Many love the chocolate buffet and seafood extravaganza; I love looking at them but not partaking of them. 

Tell me about the seafood extravaganza please🍤🍤🍤

2 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Yeah... going to the buffet is not as awful as some think. I’ve taken several cruises and didn’t go to the dining room once. One cruise, there was a large group of us that met in the buffet every night and had a ball. I often see people dressed up eating in the buffet. 🙂 

Hi Pam !! I remember you saying this.  The above photos look beautiful.  Can't wait.

Patti

Until one figures out how to process this huge multiple serving areas, "what is not to miss"..the entire restaurant.  Trying to dine for Breakfast or Lunch during other times than prime time, the chaos and confusion will be more manageable and seating, other than on the aft deck, will probably be available.  Even what food I was able to obtain failed in taste in comparison to my recent Coral Princess cruise.

• Haha 1

The best thing is the lunch grill - closes at 2pm....grilled zucchini, peppers, onions and eggplant....grilled chicken kabobs and the very wonderful gyro meat with the taziki  ( sp ) sauce..they have the grill on the Royal and Regal and we miss it on the other ships...

• Like 3

I know that it will sound strange but on the Royal the corndogs in the Kids Corner area and also available during American BBQ night used to be the best corndog I have ever eaten--fresh hand dipped corny batter with a juicy and meaty dog.  They just could not make enough for the demand.  However the last time we were on the Royal in Alaska they were using a new batter that is just plain awful and taste more like a fish fry batter than a corn-based batter and many repeat Royal cruisers were complaining and asked what had happened.  Was told that they locally supply the corndog mix so hoping that in our upcoming Mexico cruise on the Royal the batter will be different 

2 hours ago, jennybenny said:

What tastes like the canned stuff, yes.  It's not crispy either.

Yes, that one always perplexes me.  It’s like the canned stuff, but it appears to be housemade, since it rotates daily with pork hash and turkey hash.  I am partial to the pork one, but eat all three!

One of my favorite things to do with the Regal/Royal Horizon Buffet is when they have the thinly sliced Smoked Duck Breast in the MDR.  At some point after I eat in the MDR, I go to the buffet and they have plates of the Smoked Duck slices.  I get a couple plates and a crusty roll to make a nice sandwich for a midnight snack.  Great Stuff!  Also, when there is Ceviche in the MDR, there are several different ones available in the Horizon Court!

Mangia!  Paul 

• Like 1

I like many things at the buffet.  For breakfast I like the made to order omelette and the selection of fresh cut fruits.  Around tea time in the Patisserie area they set out fresh made scones.  Also excellent chicken and tuna salad to make a small sandwich (I always wonder why these two aren’t set out at lunch time.  On my last cruise on the Royal they had tuna and salmon sashimi every day at lunch.  

One of our favorites is the dinner buffet on Italian night.  I love so many of the items on the menu, especially their eggplant Parmesan.  In the MDR this is a small appetizer portion but at the buffet it is in a casserole type dish so you can make it your  main dish. Also some excellent pastas tossed fresh.  

And I love making my own salad, I find that the salads in the MDR are most often skimpy. The salad bar on the Royal is fantastic with a huge selection of items and dressings.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

1 hour ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

I like many things at the buffet.  For breakfast I like the made to order omelette and the selection of fresh cut fruits.  Around tea time in the Patisserie area they set out fresh made scones.  Also excellent chicken and tuna salad to make a small sandwich (I always wonder why these two aren’t set out at lunch time.  On my last cruise on the Royal they had tuna and salmon sashimi every day at lunch.  

One of our favorites is the dinner buffet on Italian night.  I love so many of the items on the menu, especially their eggplant Parmesan.  In the MDR this is a small appetizer portion but at the buffet it is in a casserole type dish so you can make it your  main dish. Also some excellent pastas tossed fresh.

And I love making my own salad, I find that the salads in the MDR are most often skimpy. The salad bar on the Royal is fantastic with a huge selection of items and dressings.

We haven't gone to the DR in years on Italian nights since the buffet (especially on Royal class ships) beats them by far. They offer almost the same exact  items & we can take as much as we want without any waiting to be served. 

Typical salads in the DR are a joke most nights.