Equinox, a Royal Suite experience

chemmo

We board the Equinox on Monday. Can’t wait!

It will be our third cruise on Equinox. We are regular RS cruisers from the U.K. who occasionally splurge on a PH. We booked this cruise a long time ago interested in experiencing a post Revolution ship....We are aware the full Revolution didn’t take place, we found this out on Cruise Critic. We were disappointed and if we hadn’t by the time we found out already been committed to flights would have changed our booking to another S class ship post full Revolution.

However, no cruise in a RS on an S class ship is other than a luxury experience so we aim to enjoy! 

I will give some background to our experience and travel so far and be willing to answer questions as our holiday progresses. 

Our party includes myself, husband and adult son.

We have land toured and cruised pretty well world wide. We tend to see the Caribbean as our ‘crash out’ holiday destination and invariably tie it in with a Florida visit. Frequently Orlando area but also the Gulf Coast and the Keys. This pre cruise holiday  has focused on revisiting Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

We were contacted by the shoreside concierge Zoey about four weeks ago. She really supported us last year when we had a last minute flight cancellation then lost baggage so we were delighted to hear from her again. She had taken the trouble to look up our last on board preferences as a prompt of what we may want, very efficient. She has mailed us our ‘priority’ sign to put in the taxi for drop off at Special Delivery. Interested to see how efficiently it all works. It will be our first visit to the new terminal. We expect to board on Monday and find our cabin all sorted but, as always, we have printed off a copy of the email for our butler so he can use it as a checklist for the cabin and confirm our dining bookings. Zoey has also contacted us since leaving home to warn us that boarding could be slightly delayed owing to a Coastguard inspection.

We flew out direct to Orlando last Saturday from a regional U.K. airport on Virgin Atlantic. For any U.K. readers, flying to Orlando for a few days then driving down to Fort Lauderdale can be a good option. Several charter carrier options also available from regional airports too. We flew business...With knees and other joints showing their age this tends to be a necessity on long haul rather than a luxury! On the Virgin 747 ‘Upper Class’ is in the nose cone, 14 seats and a small bar. Whilst dated in some ways it does have an ambience and character that sets it apart from bigger business class carriers. We will miss these old birds when they are retired.

We are presently staying in a rental villa in the Kissimmee area. It is our fourth stay here and we love it! Easy access to the theme parks and then your ‘home from home’ to return to. Coming from the U.K. having a private pool and sunshine is a real luxury we enjoy to the full. We cannot believe that our luxury villa is costing no more per night than a reasonable hotel suite.

As a family we have always enjoyed visiting theme parks. Our last theme park visit was less than wonderful as both my husband and myself were finding the strain of walking and warm weather hard work.This time, with some reluctance, we decided to hire a mobility scooter...It has been wonderful! We just hired one and then took turns riding and walking. The best of both worlds, some exercise but not to the point of exhaustion. Whilst we are not yet probably at the stage of needing a scooter at home we would certainly look at hiring one on a strenuous holiday again. We booked the scooter on line and arranged to have it delivered to and collected from the villa, couldn’t be easier. So despite not being a Spring chicken I have enjoyed three park days shooting aliens, riding broomsticks, being attacked by dinosaurs and even magically riding in a motorbike side car.....Never too old to have fun!

Today we intend to relax by the pool then tomorrow we drive down for an overnight stay at the Embassy Suites. Whilst we could drive down on the day it adds a timing stress that we can do without! The hotel overnight means we will board fresh and relaxed...

More to follow....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Looking forward to your review. We are back on Equinox in November in a RS.

Did you bring your posh frock?

No!!!! At least not my well known one! 

On our last Caribbean cruise it was a bit warm, two nice cocktail dresses packed though!

• Like 1

Rats, I may never get to see a picture of your posh frock!

I'm just off the Equinox.  I've never had a better Luminae experience.  Ask for Neno as your waiter, although they are all wonderful.  Viktoriia, the hostess in Luminae is an absolute sweetheart.

I'll be interested to hear your take on the Retreat Lounge which has been redone.  I never made it up to the Retreat Sundeck as there is no elevator access.  You should find your suite pretty much as before, but with new carpeting, a new bed, new bedding and towels.  Wonderful new robes.  Alas, the Bulgari toiletries are no more.  The new stuff is OK, but nothing to write home about.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Muushka said:

I always enjoy reading your posts.  I hope you have a wonderful time.

I love U Studios and Islands of Adventure.  But it has been years since we went. 

Is there a third theme park there now?

There is Volcano Bay, a water park, and a big expansion planned for the future. If you haven’t been for a few years you will hardly recognise it since ‘Harry’ came along. Seriously, despite our more mature age we thoroughly enjoyed...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Rats, I may never get to see a picture of your posh frock!

I'm just off the Equinox.  I've never had a better Luminae experience.  Ask for Neno as your waiter, although they are all wonderful.  Viktoriia, the hostess in Luminae is an absolute sweetheart.

I'll be interested to hear your take on the Retreat Lounge which has been redone.  I never made it up to the Retreat Sundeck as there is no elevator access.  You should find your suite pretty much as before, but with new carpeting, a new bed, new bedding and towels.  Wonderful new robes.  Alas, the Bulgari toiletries are no more.  The new stuff is OK, but nothing to write home about.

Enjoy your cruise!

You know we are concerned that some guests may board Equinox not knowing about the lack of elevator access to the Retreat deck. If we didn’t follow CC we wouldn’t know. We will (one laboured step up and down)  just about manage it but the service had better be good!  If not our son may end up earning his keep!!!

I honestly think now pictures of my posh frock could only be a disappointment!

We are hoping to enjoy the Retreat lounge, we will obviously post our observations re furnishings and ambience as the cruise progresses. Just very pleased they have got rid of those ridiculous small chairs. My rear would have struggled to fit in one at the beginning of a cruise, let alone at the end!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texed said:

Chemmo,

I am looking forward to reading your posts.  🙂  

Just off the Equinox in a RS. 11609  If your butler is Gene say hello  for us. (Angela and Bill) Was a gentleman and provided excellent services. Enjoy your cruise

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Looking forward to your review, our good friends also from UK are on this cruise. Their first one, so we hope they get bitten by the cruising bug! 

Make sure they know departure could be slightly delayed...Please send our best wishes to your friends, hope they enjoy! 

54 minutes ago, groryjm said:

sitting back and looking forward to another wonderfull vicarious cruise🥂

It is these vicarious cruises that keep us all going! I think you board Silly? again soon so be ready to reciprocate!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bill_R said:

Just off the Equinox in a RS. 11609  If your butler is Gene say hello  for us. (Angela and Bill) Was a gentleman and provided excellent services. Enjoy your cruise

Hope you enjoyed! I think we are opposite side of the ship so it is unlikely we will have him but I will keep my eyes open!

Chemmo..

Glad you had a lovely pre cruise stay in Florida,  We were down  there  this week checking  on our  place.... Had perfect weather, sunny all week.  Bonus was returning home today  to high 70s in NY this afternon. 

Hope you have an amazing cruise.  We cruise  again in Nov  in EDGE, and like you  I will leave my "big birthday" posh frock home this time out,  and do more of the  lbd

( little black dress) style

BON VOYAGE!

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Chemmo -  Looking forward to your journey.   Have a great time and enjoy your cruise.

Sincere thanks, we have just enjoyed the sunset sat in the covered pool area of our villa enjoying fantastic views (and weird noises) from the natural lake behind.....We are all agreed that this will not be our last visit. Honestly, the last week has in its own right been wonderful. Revisiting and enjoying a theme park, just lying back and enjoying the sun...and our cruise hasn’t even started yet!

2 hours ago, 39august said:

What is this about delayed departure? I don't believe we have gotten any notice from X about that. Doesn't really matter as long as I am on board! But curious anyway.

Apparently they are having a random coastguard inspection. It may mean that boarding may begin 10.30-11.00 rather than from 10am. We are planning to arrive at 11ish...I think Zoey let us know because we had told her we plan to board early...Confession time, we will be up early as we will probably set our alarm for near to the time ‘Marine Traffic’ says Equinox will be coming into view and we will sit up to watch her coming in!

Port view room booked at Embassy Suites, I hope it all goes to plan!

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Chemmo..

Glad you had a lovely pre cruise stay in Florida,  We were down  there  this week checking  on our  place.... Had perfect weather, sunny all week.  Bonus was returning home today  to high 70s in NY this afternon. 

Hope you have an amazing cruise.  We cruise  again in Nov  in EDGE, and like you  I will leave my "big birthday" posh frock home this time out,  and do more of the  lbd

( little black dress) style

BON VOYAGE!

Yes! I have my lbd! I also have my lrd (little red dress)!

It is nice to return home to pleasant weather...by the time we fly home I think England will be experiencing seasonal gloomy drizzle!