Equinox, a Royal Suite experience

chemmo

10 hours ago, jcpc said:

Perhaps Wim was ill during your cruise.  Or maybe he had some VERY DEMANDING suite passengers (some are really really demanding as I'm sure you might know).  Thankfully I have never really needed a suite manager to handle any issue for me.  I have been on sailings when I hardly ever saw the Suite Manager and I've been on others where he/she was present in the Retreat Lounge (Michael's Club) nightly.  So I'm sure it varies from sailing to sailing.  I agree that both Maja and Bogdan are wonderful at their job.  Would you happen to know which ship Maja and Cemal are on now?  Or perhaps they're home on vacation?  I haven't seen either of their names mentioned in quite some time now.

Apologies to chemmo for barging in on her thread with my question.  Chemmo - I'm really enjoying your thread and I really enjoy all of your posts all the time.  You appear to be a lady with a lot of compassion, humility and common sense (which is rare these days) and you don't get involved in the every day mud-slinging that sometimes occurs on these boards.

Please don’t apologise for barging in! That is what threads are about. I believe Bogdan is  on the Edge, he was a lovely suite manager. Sorry no idea on the others...

Adding to you comments about illness, demanding suite guests....It does happen.

We did mention to Wim and Alex (the other concierge) yesterday our displeasure at the ‘deck party’ that had taken place the night before...It was so incredibly loud our balcony was unusable and our room was vibrating!!! This continued until nearly midnight. Please don’t get me wrong we are all for variety of entertainment on board to please everyone but there does need to be some balance...After 11pm anything that loud needs to be in an area away from passenger cabins. We were one of many unhappy guests, we did feel listened to. We have been reassured no more deck events like that on this cruise...

Edited by chemmo

On 9/28/2019 at 3:11 PM, chemmo said:

Our visit to the Cathedral in St John’s today was wonderful but tiring...It is our third visit, we have watched it slowly be renovated from a stage of near dereliction to what it is now, a thriving Anglican Church. Antigua, is probably our favourite Caribbean island. I love the fact that taxi drivers and vendors try to sell you their wares but then accept a firm ‘No thanks’ and genuinely hope you have a nice day...

Nothing to do with a Suite experience but everything to do with a quality ship experience was reboarding. We were really hot, tired and in some discomfort as we returned to the ship. Those cold drinks, iced towels and chairs gave us the boost we needed to get up the gang plank! We were really touched that one of the men on duty as we pinged our cards could see we, and another gentleman with mobility issues, were struggling and short cutted us through what was at that point quite a long line...I wish I had spotted his name. It is little touches of kindness like this that make a cruise genuinely accessible for those of us who wouldn’t describe ourselves as disabled but certainly are not as sprite as we once were!

On returning to our room we needed some lunch...We decided to give room service a go...Great free dining option for all guests. Simple menu but it has variety, ir arrived hot, well cooked, tasty and on time! What more can one ask for or expect? Much as most of my review has specifically focused on the suite experience we have nothing but positives to say about many general aspects of the ship.

We have found the staff to be wonderful, probably the best group we have ever sailed with. We’ve also had 3 wonderful meals in Murano with two more to go, along with one in Tuscan Grill which was ok, and another two in Suchi on 5 which were both excellent. 

2 hours ago, yorky said:

We have found the staff to be wonderful, probably the best group we have ever sailed with. We’ve also had 3 wonderful meals in Murano with two more to go, along with one in Tuscan Grill which was ok, and another two in Suchi on 5 which were both excellent. 

You have just reminded me that we must do a lunch in Sushi!

8 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We had a crispy prawn thing last cruise we enjoyed and some hot noodle bowl things....Always keen to try something different! We will give the dumplings a go!

I had the dynamite hot pot last night, Tricia had a pork and noodle main dish. Anyway off the Murano in an hour for tonight’s meal.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:52 PM, jcpc said:

Would you happen to know which ship Maja and Cemal are on now?  Or perhaps they're home on vacation?  I haven't seen either of their names mentioned in quite some time now.

No clue where Maja is.  We were going to exchange FB info and somehow, never got around to it.  But I had three wonderful cruises with her and Captain Kate on the Summit one year, so good memories.  Not acquainted with Cemal.

As for Wim, I just thought it odd that he was never around.  I didn't need him, Jeffrey handled my issues very capably.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

25 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

No clue where Maja is.  We were going to exchange FB info and somehow, never got around to it.  But I had three wonderful cruises with her and Captain Kate on the Summit one year, so good memories.  Not acquainted with Cemal.

As for Wim, I just thought it odd that he was never around.  I didn't need him, Jeffrey handled my issues very capably.

Maja and Captain Kate were quite the combo on the Summit.  I also had several cruises with them.   Cemal is Celebrity F&B Manager (I can't think of his last name right now).  He and Maja are a couple and they always are on the same ship.  

• Like 1

So a bit about the room.....I have tried to write this for anyone who has not experienced a RS and is following this post and wondering if it is worth the additional cost...

The RS on S class is very well designed.

The bathroom is big enough to feel luxurious with separate shower, jacuzzi bath and twin sinks. There is also an extra toilet and sink off the living room which is useful if you are traveling with a third guest. Towels are thick, soft and plentiful. Toiletries have already been discussed. Hairdryer has a push down button still and some one decided it was a good idea to add a set of scales (ours have remained in the cupboard)!

The bedroom is spacious with a large large walk in wardrobe with plentiful drawers and hanging space. Binoculars and two umbrellas are provided. The bed is large, comfortable, and the bedding seems to be of a good quality. The bed can be separated into twins. We requested non feather pillows as part of our shoreside concierge communication and they were in our room on arrival. Large TV.

The dining area of the living room has a table that can seat six, a wet bar area, minibar bar and wine cooler. Perfectly adequate. We requested and received a tea tray set up.

The living area has been refreshed with an L shaped sofa bed, chair and circular coffee table of a good size. Comfortable to lounge on during the day and our son reports it very comfortable to sleep in. Carpets and drapes we think are original but both are very clean and look in good shape. There is additional wardrobe space in the lounge area. Large TV. 

This suite comes with a wide range of perks including premium drinks package, unlimited speciality dining, 2 x 1l spirit set up, regularly refilled minibar containing beers, soda, water, you also have free laundry and butler service.

These perks are significantly more than the suites at the level below (Celebrity Suites). The suite type above (Penthouse) is significantly bigger with a real decadence of light and space but no additional perks. It also has a bigger balcony but as it is long and thin it is not necessarily a ‘social’ space.

All these factors need to be taken into account when choosing a suite type to suit your personal needs. We do enjoy an occasional splurge and book the PH on S class but find in terms of actual comfort and facilities it offers little more than the RS...We find the opposite to be true on M class where the PH is head and shoulders above the RS in many ways...

I will not dwell on it as I have mentioned in earlier but the weak feature of the RS on this ship is the balcony furnishings... Cushions have made the chairs soft enough to sit out and enjoyed the view but it not comfortable enough for an afternoon lie down...I do hope feedback makes a difference and that before they purchase balcony furnishings for Silhouette they reconsider...

The general decor and ambience is very good...

In summary, a lovely comfortable room that comes with lots of added extras...highly recommend....

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2

Views on the Retreat Deck...

Well chosen furnishings, love the colours,  range of seating and variety of seating type. 

It is hot and breezy when at sea and simply hot when in port. There is always a few chairs in the shade but the addition of sun umbrellas (weather permitting) when in port would make more of the area usable.

There is no bar in the area. They have a stock of beers and sodas but will get other drinks for you from the bar downstairs. Unlike the Retreat Lounge, drinks are not free unless you have a drinks package.

The snack food offerings arrive promptly and are suitable for the venue. A well thought out small selection.

Whilst it is a great pity it is not the complete refit that was initially planned it is still a valuable space for suite guests to relax in until the full transformation takes place in a couple of years. The lack of any water feature is sadly missing but it still offers a quiet and elegant venue on busy sea days. Management have confirmed that the other Solstice ships will have, as planned, a Retreat Deck area on both decks 15 and 16 that will have a spa pool.

Accessibility. You do need to climb one set of stairs. We managed by taking it slowly and carefully. We felt safer using the inside carpeted stairs than the outside wooden ones. We were told that on the other S class ships lifts will be fitted making the area fully accessible 

For future cruises I hope Celebrity starts to use the area a little more creatively...For example, an evening live music, champagne and buffet event? Or perhaps a sailaway party? It is early days and I hope Celebrity gives guests the opportunity in reviews to add ‘even better if...’ ideas.

8 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Views on the Retreat Deck...

Well chosen furnishings, love the colours,  range of seating and variety of seating type. 

It is hot and breezy when at sea and simply hot when in port. There is always a few chairs in the shade but the addition of sun umbrellas (weather permitting) when in port would make more of the area usable.

There is no bar in the area. They have a stock of beers and sodas but will get other drinks for you from the bar downstairs. Unlike the Retreat Lounge, drinks are not free unless you have a drinks package.

The snack food offerings arrive promptly and are suitable for the venue. A well thought out small selection.

Whilst it is a great pity it is not the complete refit that was initially planned it is still a valuable space for suite guests to relax in until the full transformation takes place in a couple of years. The lack of any water feature is sadly missing but it still offers a quiet and elegant venue on busy sea days. Management have confirmed that the other Solstice ships will have, as planned, a Retreat Deck area on both decks 15 and 16 that will have a spa pool.

Accessibility. You do need to climb one set of stairs. We managed by taking it slowly and carefully. We felt safer using the inside carpeted stairs than the outside wooden ones. We were told that on the other S class ships lifts will be fitted making the area fully accessible 

For future cruises I hope Celebrity starts to use the area a little more creatively...For example, an evening live music, champagne and buffet event? Or perhaps a sailaway party? It is early days and I hope Celebrity gives guests the opportunity in reviews to add ‘even better if...’ ideas.

You have more or less echoed our experience. Just a little bit more shade would make the area more usable.

I know they would have to be cognizant of the wind, but just a couple of feet on those side awnings would help.

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

Chemmo,

On the September 1 Summit sailing they did use the Retreat Deck for the sailaway out of Bermuda.  But it was so hot, sunny and humid up there prior to the ship actually moving that not many people lasted until the ship was actually underway.  TOO HOT and no shade anywhere.  Folks were dripping with sweat.  Not good!

1 hour ago, jcpc said:

Chemmo,

On the September 1 Summit sailing they did use the Retreat Deck for the sailaway out of Bermuda.  But it was so hot, sunny and humid up there prior to the ship actually moving that not many people lasted until the ship was actually underway.  TOO HOT and no shade anywhere.  Folks were dripping with sweat.  Not good!

Yes, this is where innovation and practical reality need to meet...So understand what you are saying. It was sooooo hot up there this pm. I just feel it is such a nice space it should be utilised more, perhaps after the sun has gone down...

We were on the August 31st Equinox sailing in a Royal Suite and found the experience to be less than expected. Dealing with Zoey was a pleasure. Everything we discussed with her was done exactly as promised.  Unfortunately, the same cannot be be said for others.

Priority luggage service was a joke. One person throwing our bags on a cart. As for the luggage being in the suite by the time we got there - not quite - we dropped off the bags at 11:30 and got to the cabin at 1:30 to find no luggage. It was odd since all the Aquaclass cabins had their bags waiting outside of the cabin. Our cabin steward said he would investigate and approx. 4 PM our bags arrived. As for your "Personal" butler, who will be there to help you unpack, he did not make an appearance until 6 PM. Just be advised that that he personally is also responsible for one Penthouse suite, four Royal suites and six Celebrity suites. As others have mentioned, Wim is a non-entity. He phoned us once and promised to get back to us. Never heard from him again or saw him.

The dining options were great. We ate in Murano four evenings and the meals were outstanding. The Luminae menu seemed not as appetizing as on other cruises we have taken.

My parting advice would be to lower your expectations and everything will be fine.

22 minutes ago, gmsrq said:

We were on the August 31st Equinox sailing in a Royal Suite and found the experience to be less than expected. Dealing with Zoey was a pleasure. Everything we discussed with her was done exactly as promised.  Unfortunately, the same cannot be be said for others.

Priority luggage service was a joke. One person throwing our bags on a cart. As for the luggage being in the suite by the time we got there - not quite - we dropped off the bags at 11:30 and got to the cabin at 1:30 to find no luggage. It was odd since all the Aquaclass cabins had their bags waiting outside of the cabin. Our cabin steward said he would investigate and approx. 4 PM our bags arrived. As for your "Personal" butler, who will be there to help you unpack, he did not make an appearance until 6 PM. Just be advised that that he personally is also responsible for one Penthouse suite, four Royal suites and six Celebrity suites. As others have mentioned, Wim is a non-entity. He phoned us once and promised to get back to us. Never heard from him again or saw him.

The dining options were great. We ate in Murano four evenings and the meals were outstanding. The Luminae menu seemed not as appetizing as on other cruises we have taken.

My parting advice would be to lower your expectations and everything will be fine.

We have never asked or expected butlers to help with packing and unpacking. As you say with the number of suites they are responsible for it would be an impossibility...If I did need/want help (disability?) I would ask rather than just expect to be offered. I would probably inform the shoreside concierge I would be requesting this service too so that the butler could arrange his schedule/arrange extra support. We knew from our CC pre cruising research that it was one of those perks that guests generally never used.

There have been one or two aspects of our cruise less than fantastic....Internet less than good despite IT visiting our suite twice, it rained for our sailaway from St Lucia and there are clouds in the sky today...

I do sometimes wonder when suite guests have less than an excellent experience if communication is an issue...Butlers expecting guests to ask if they want something and guests expecting the butlers to offer services...For example, we ask for a late night snack to be left in our chiller. If we didn’t ask for it the butler would not know we wanted it.

Some butlers really are better than others, probably down to experience and personality....Perhaps yours was inexperienced?

A standard butler will do what is asked.

A good butler will do what is asked and suggest one or two treats to further enhance your cruise experience.

An exceptional butler will know what you want before you even knew you wanted it.

As regular suite cruisers we know what is and isn’t important to us. If we find a service lacking we will initially discuss with the staff member and if necessary we will escalate...I cannot comment on Wim on your cruise but we have seen him round and about on ours...

Like you, our cruise experience has been enhanced by the speciality dining...We are not big fans of the Luminae menu either, we simply find the choices quite limited...

Rather than suggesting future suite cruisers lower expectations I would suggest they research the product well on Cruise Critic then decide if the experience is what they want.  The price of a RS on Celebrity is comparable to a standard suite on many luxury lines. For some this may be a better option. Personally, we prefer the combination of cruising on a larger ship but with the option of suite areas. One of the main reasons I write cruise experience reports like this is to offer insight into the suite life and to pay back the wonderful advice and opinions we have received over the years...

I would also suggest that new to suite life cruisers meet with their butler and room attendant day 1/2 of their cruise and talk clearly about their needs/wants...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Like you, our cruise experience has been enhanced by the speciality dining...We are not big fans of the Luminae menu either, we simply find the choices quite limited...

We aren't fans of Luminae, either. We don't eat there... we get a table in the main dining room. We might go for breakfast there once, but that's it. The first time we bailed and asked for a table in the MDR it caused quite a stir. Now they expect it. 

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

We have never asked or expected butlers to help with packing and unpacking. As you say with the number of suites they are responsible for it would be an impossibility...If I did need/want help (disability?) I would ask rather than just expect to be offered. I would probably inform the shoreside concierge I would be requesting this service too so that the butler could arrange his schedule/arrange extra support. We knew from our CC pre cruising research that it was one of those perks that guests generally never used.

There have been one or two aspects of our cruise less than fantastic....Internet less than good despite IT visiting our suite twice, it rained for our sailaway from St Lucia and there are clouds in the sky today...

I do sometimes wonder when suite guests have less than an excellent experience if communication is an issue...Butlers expecting guests to ask if they want something and guests expecting the butlers to offer services...For example, we ask for a late night snack to be left in our chiller. If we didn’t ask for it the butler would not know we wanted it.

Some butlers really are better than others, probably down to experience and personality....Perhaps yours was inexperienced?

A standard butler will do what is asked.

A good butler will do what is asked and suggest one or two treats to further enhance your cruise experience.

An exceptional butler will know what you want before you even knew you wanted it.

As regular suite cruisers we know what is and isn’t important to us. If we find a service lacking we will initially discuss with the staff member and if necessary we will escalate...I cannot comment on Wim on your cruise but we have seen him round and about on ours...

Rather than suggesting future suite cruisers lower expectations I would suggest they research the product well on Cruise Critic then decide if the experience is what they want.  The price of a RS on Celebrity is comparable to a standard suite on many luxury lines. For some this may be a better option. Personally, we prefer the combination of cruising on a larger ship but with the option of suite areas. One of the main reasons I write cruise experience reports like this is to offer insight into the suite life and to pay back the wonderful advice and opinions we have received over the years...

I would also suggest that new to suite life cruisers meet with their butler and room attendant day 1/2 of their cruise and talk clearly about their needs/wants...

Sorry you didn't get your IT issues resolved.  When I told Jeffrey I was having a problem, IT came and installed a router in my cabin.  Problem solved.  That's why I didn't care whether or not Wim was around.  Jeffrey was perfectly capable of taking care of anything.  And he sent me flowers!

I absolutely agree that communication is important.  My experience is that the crew wants you to have a good time and will do everything within their power to make it happen.

I found the staff and food in Luminae to be the best I've ever experienced.  I know everyone's tastes are different, but I though Equinox had an exceptional dining room.  Friends of mine went to Murano to celebrate their anniversary.  They came back the next night and said they should have saved their $100, that Luminae was better.

So I guess all experiences are different.  I found the Retreat Lounge to be cold and sterile--you liked it.  I thank you for your honest report of your experience.  And I agree that a royal suite is a good choice, I've always enjoyed my stay in them, but only on M class.  Haven't experienced one in S class.  And on my Equinox cruise, I was in a simple sky suite.  Since I generally sail solo, a royal is a stretch!

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Sorry you didn't get your IT issues resolved.  When I told Jeffrey I was having a problem, IT came and installed a router in my cabin.  Problem solved.  That's why I didn't care whether or not Wim was around.  Jeffrey was perfectly capable of taking care of anything.  And he sent me flowers!

I absolutely agree that communication is important.  My experience is that the crew wants you to have a good time and will do everything within their power to make it happen.

I found the staff and food in Luminae to be the best I've ever experienced.  I know everyone's tastes are different, but I though Equinox had an exceptional dining room.  Friends of mine went to Murano to celebrate their anniversary.  They came back the next night and said they should have saved their $100, that Luminae was better.

So I guess all experiences are different.  I found the Retreat Lounge to be cold and sterile--you liked it.  I thank you for your honest report of your experience.  And I agree that a royal suite is a good choice, I've always enjoyed my stay in them, but only on M class.  Haven't experienced one in S class.  And on my Equinox cruise, I was in a simple sky suite.  Since I generally sail solo, a royal is a stretch!

We told our butler and he phoned IT and fitted a router for us too but we have still experienced sloooooow periods...

Totally agree the staff just want you to be happy and to enjoy.

You are so right that food is all about personal preference...Much as we are not fond of the Luminae menu we are aware that many love it. 

We were surprised we liked the Retreat Lounge, we hadn’t particularly liked the pictures we had seen but in reality we did find it fresh...

We have never actually cruised in a RS on M class although we have been in one. We made the bad decision on our first M class cruise to book the PH....after that there was no going back.

It is a shame that there are not specific solo suite cabins....I am sure they would be popular. Sky Suites do offer a great option for many guests,  Luminae and Retreat access are major perks...Suite choice is about picking the best option for yourself, if you are not bothered about speciality dining, already have some laundry Captains Club perks and don’t need a big room then a Sky Suite is a good choice...

Whilst a RS is expensive for a solo it does offer great value for three adults as that third adult also gets the Internet, dining and premium drinks package...

1 hour ago, MEcruzr said:

We aren't fans of Luminae, either. We don't eat there... we get a table in the main dining room. We might go for breakfast there once, but that's it. The first time we bailed and asked for a table in the MDR it caused quite a stir. Now they expect it. 

Again all about personal preferences. Some people enjoy sitting down to a full cooked breakfast each day, often we prefer to either order something from room service or grab something to go from Oceanview...I think we have had two Luminae breakfasts this cruise, both very nice!

At lunchtime we are not big eaters, we will often just get a made to order sandwich or a bowl of soup or browse Oceanview and enjoy a few bits and pieces which really don’t belong together on the same plate! Totally the opposite to our preferred evening experience of a more formal meal...

Just a few random things not mentioned yet....

’Daily Delights’ little afternoon treats....We never used to bother with those little four section plates, we used to cancel them but we thought we would give the new offerings a go. They have been unusual, one day was a selection of vegetable juices. We have often just had a little taste, the sweeter offerings we did find too sweet. I don’t know if we would have them again but they were interesting to try. Give them a go and see what you think.

Piped music....they must have got it at a discount price! I am not a piped music fan but  the music at the Retreat Deck area with a regular background beat on every track is totally wrong for the setting. It isn’t just me getting old either, our son who is part of the generation Celebrity seems to be focusing its marketing to, found it rather odd as well!

The cruisers, obviously lots of US citizens but lots of English too and loads of guests from Scotland. It has led to some interesting lift (sorry elevator) conversations! Seriously a really nice bunch. When we have been round and about the ship there has been a lovely ambience and at busy bars and lifts (sorry elevators) everyone has taken turns and at times played sardines. There are some younger couples as well as lots of empty nesters taking a vacation and a generous sprinkling of us more mature cruisers who don’t have to worry about work on Monday. Children on board...We have spotted one baby with parents and another family with a baby and also a young boy...that is it.

Tomorrow, in between packing, I will try to summarise our experience....