Off-menu in MDR?

Underwatr

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My favorite is actually store bought. The King Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. Nice and doughy I could eat those all day long.

sweet roll.jpg

These look really soft and delicious!  Not available in Canada 😞

Please tell me you love butter on bread as much as I do?

I've really enjoyed reading through everyone's comments, and wanted to throw a few more questions into the mix.

I sometimes have a sensitive stomach, and eating richly decadent meals day after day can sometimes be overwhelming. I also suffer from acid reflux and sometimes I just need a 'lighter' meal. 

One of my go-to favourites used to be the salmon with some mashed potatoes which was always on the menu -- however, now it's 'fish of the day' and the 'fish' is not always salmon. Do you think if I asked for salmon, even if that isn't the fish that day, I'd likely be accommodated?

I also sometimes crave something really basic like macaroni and cheese, something I imagine would be part of the kids menu but really I have no idea -- does anyone know more about the kids menu offerings or whether or not mac and cheese is ever served in the MDR?

I appreciate your responses, and I'm sorry if these are stupid questions. We try to be as easy going as possible and stick to the menu, but I do also sometimes find myself struggling to find a dish that will settle my stomach vs unsettle it!

9 minutes ago, londongal796 said:

I've really enjoyed reading through everyone's comments, and wanted to throw a few more questions into the mix.

I sometimes have a sensitive stomach, and eating richly decadent meals day after day can sometimes be overwhelming. I also suffer from acid reflux and sometimes I just need a 'lighter' meal. 

One of my go-to favourites used to be the salmon with some mashed potatoes which was always on the menu -- however, now it's 'fish of the day' and the 'fish' is not always salmon. Do you think if I asked for salmon, even if that isn't the fish that day, I'd likely be accommodated?

I also sometimes crave something really basic like macaroni and cheese, something I imagine would be part of the kids menu but really I have no idea -- does anyone know more about the kids menu offerings or whether or not mac and cheese is ever served in the MDR?

I appreciate your responses, and I'm sorry if these are stupid questions. We try to be as easy going as possible and stick to the menu, but I do also sometimes find myself struggling to find a dish that will settle my stomach vs unsettle it!

Keep in mind, as long as you let your head waiter know ahead of time, like the night before, you can request almost anything, without limits, and they'll accommodate you. Remember, I said "almost".

• Like 1

Sometimes it's all about the relationship you make with the waitstaff...I went on Explorer with my aunt and her elderly parents and they asked if there were crab cakes on board for my aunt's father (who passed a few months after the trip so this was his last vacation).  They went to the kitchen to ask and there were no crab cakes on the entire ship.  But the next night at dinner, the chef took the request and made crab cakes from scratch just for him.  

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 12:43 PM, gdy0354 said:

I am a fan of cold soups, which most cruise line have stopped serving. 

first night on Allure of the Seas I asked the head waiter

to ask the chef if he could make them for me. Next nine nights they freshly made different cold soups. Melon,peach,strawberry,blueberry, cucumber, etc.

All were delicious. Just ask politely. Asked for double kids banana split for adult, no problem.

Good to know! We will definitely be trying this on our upcoming cruise. My hubby loves cold soups and was sad to hear they'd taken them off the menus. 

4 hours ago, londongal796 said:

Just off Allure recently.

Salmon was one of the every night options for the entire week.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sometimes 

20190824_093619.thumb.jpg.edc10230f56f6477f49916117cbae1b9.jpg

A few years back I mentioned to the waiter that I loved the pumpkin seeds on the roll and he saw me picking them off and nibbling on them.    Every night for the rest of the cruise there was a bowl of just pumpkin seeds there for me along side the bread.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 3eaglesfam said:

A few years back I mentioned to the waiter that I loved the pumpkin seeds on the roll and he saw me picking them off and nibbling on them.    Every night for the rest of the cruise there was a bowl of just pumpkin seeds there for me along side the bread.

Mariner Odyssey. Our waiter noticed the same thing😉

20180506_173821.thumb.jpg.ef842f369a6fffdce9f48a4c486301da.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TinaJoy said:

Good to know! We will definitely be trying this on our upcoming cruise. My hubby loves cold soups and was sad to hear they'd taken them off the menus. 

We have asked for the cold soups every cruise since they took them off the menus, and with the exception of boarding night, they were happy to deliver them to our table nightly.

• Like 1

Now all of you have me thinking.  I have craved beef wellington every cruise since it was taken off the menu years ago.  Wonder if that would be a request that could be accommodated.  We travel as a group of 20 usually, so I am sure many of them would be interested in that too, so as they did not have to make just a single portion for me.

On 9/24/2019 at 1:43 PM, gdy0354 said:

I am a fan of cold soups, which most cruise line have stopped serving. 

first night on Allure of the Seas I asked the head waiter

to ask the chef if he could make them for me. Next nine nights they freshly made different cold soups. Melon,peach,strawberry,blueberry, cucumber, etc.

All were delicious. Just ask politely. Asked for double kids banana split for adult, no problem.

I LOVE cold soups, and so does our youngest daughter.  As a matter of fact, we don't like hot soups, at all.  I think I will be asking our waiter what kind of cold soup might be available each night.