Not a good way to start a holiday

di T

Well the last 24hrs have been trying to say the least! Left our village by train at 9am yesterday(Saturday) to Manchester airport a beautiful warm, September day. Arrived a bit too early at the airport for our flight which should of took off at 18.10 said flight was delayed to 20:30, so we didn’t get through the airport in Barcelona until nearly midnight. Shuttle to our hotel didn’t come for over an hour, so when we were checking in we were worn out, then the receptionist said your room as been cancelled although I had paid it in full! The company I booked through had gone into liquidation a few days before , unknown to me.Now the hotel was full and so was any nearby hotels, so we went back to the airport and stopped up all night😞Will go to the port in a few hours and hopefully no more drama, think I’m gonna need these cruises more than ever! Dianne

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Whhhaaat? You had to spend all night at the airport? Omg.  No insurance that would have covered a hotel? 

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Whhhaaat? You had to spend all night at the airport? Omg.  No insurance that would have covered a hotel? 

There was very few hotels available ,think this weekend was a special fiesta, my insurance wouldn’t of covered it even if we could of booked something. There was one the girl on the desk found and it was very expensive and we would of had to checkout before 10am it would of been 3.30 by the time we checked in so decided against it.

lesson learnt will stick to hotel chains I know, best chance is to try and get my credit card company to sort it.

That was who we booked through, Ive stayed at the same hotel seven times but always booked through a well know company! Some people got emails last week to say they had gone bust, I didn’t receive anything! 

2 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

There may be more similar stories via the Thomas Cook saga.

I wouldn’t be happy booking with them at the moment! Lots of stories going around! Anyway we have been awake for 26 hours now could of been in Australia 😂

di T,

My heart goes out to you! What an awful start to your holiday.

We had a different but awful start last year when our over the pond flights were cancelled and then our luggage went missing! After careful planning it just didn’t seem fair....

The only way is up now, get on that cruise ship and enjoy every moment.

You were fortunate that you were allowed back into the airport. 

Why couldn’t you have spent the night in the hotel lobby? 

Put it behind and don’t let any little petty thing upset you on your cruise.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We experienced a similar situation a couple of years ago. Our hotel had been prepaid using a Chase Bank credit card. A month or so later we were talking to the bank on another matter and happened to mention being ripped off on our last vacation. Our bank refunded to us the entire amount! They guarantee purchases and what we paid for had not been delivered! Check with your bank when you return home and good luck!

• Like 2

In rare instances when we use a third party like  hotels dot, etc, we always call direct to the property to make sure we have a vaild res...  Hope OP can place a dispute with credit card co.   Hotel  itself was chintzy not setting up a bed in a conf rm or some  extra space or let them stay in the lobby

Hope cruise is amazing and makes the start a distant memory

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3