Cruise Critic Community
USC Adventurer

Transportation from airport to central Basel

What are the alternatives to get from the airport to the Hotel Basel?  And can you estimate the cost? Would credit cards be accepted for this trip as I won't have any swiss money with me?

Well you can ride the bus for free if you have a printed copy of your hotel confirmation. There are cabs at the train station.. Cabs do take credit cards. We used Uber a couple of years ago to go to airport after disembarking in Basel. Swiss taxi rates are VERY high. 

On 9/23/2019 at 6:33 AM, USC Adventurer said:

What are the alternatives to get from the airport to the Hotel Basel?  And can you estimate the cost? Would credit cards be accepted for this trip as I won't have any swiss money with me?

We have one night in Basel after our cruise and are staying at the Hotel Krafft on the river.  The hotel reception staff said that a taxi to the airport would be around 50CHF, which is fairly expensive.

There is an airport bus, but it would involve a tram and then a bus, which is too much with luggage.

Everything in Switzerland is very, very expensive.

Have you checked on what your cruise line charges for airport transfers?

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Have you checked on what your cruise line charges for airport transfers?

The OP is not going to the cruise boat; he is going to a hotel.

gnome12,  yes I understand they are going to the hotel.  I am doing that too.  Airport to hotel.  AMAWaterways will meet us at airprort and take us to our pre cruise hotel.  we paid to do this;  hotel and transfer is included in our total cruising price.  

gnome12 and af-1, thank you for your comments.

i am arriving in basel two days before the river cruise on crystal.  i'm not staying at a crystal approved hotel, due to high cost, so they will not provide transportation from airport to hotel.

from what i've learned from other posts, i can take the number 50 bus from the airport to the central train station.  and then i can either take a tram or a taxi to the hotel.  since i'll have some luggage, the taxi sounds better to me.  i also found out that the bus is free if i show my hotel confirmation as i board the bus.  that's pretty nice!

2 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

gnome12 and af-1, thank you for your comments.

i am arriving in basel two days before the river cruise on crystal.  i'm not staying at a crystal approved hotel, due to high cost, so they will not provide transportation from airport to hotel.

from what i've learned from other posts, i can take the number 50 bus from the airport to the central train station.  and then i can either take a tram or a taxi to the hotel.  since i'll have some luggage, the taxi sounds better to me.  i also found out that the bus is free if i show my hotel confirmation as i board the bus.  that's pretty nice!

I took the bus to the airport in 2011, and found it fairly straightforward. I do, however, always travel light enough to use transit. I have a medium size rolling suitcase (24-25"), and a backpack on my back. I can't remember whether I took a tram from my hotel to the bus stop, but I might have walked.