Cruise Critic Community
sunsetbeachgal

Uber from LGA to Brooklyn port or prebook a car service?

Three of us are arriving around 9 AM into LaGuardia on Delta Airlines and need transportation to the Brooklyn cruise port. Has anyone had experience with Uber lately at LGA?  Or would you recommend we prebook a car service.  We flew in and out of LGA last fall and the construction was a mess! 

Thank you! 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Looks like you are flying in on Columbus Day/Monday next month - commuter traffic will be slightly better & easing by the time you deplane, collect baggage & ready for ground transport.  DL flights use either T-C or D, where yellow taxis are available on a metered fare to Red Hook.  Otherwise, you will need to take a shuttle to T-B parking's designated FHV pickup area to meet your Uber ride and/or car service (Dial 7 & Carmel is what we use ourselves & recommend) on a flat rate - it will take another 10 to 15 extra minutes for this but as long as your flight is on-time, should be fine & allow the morning traffic to ease up after 9:30 to 9:45 am before hitting that Grand Central Pkwy entrance ramp.

As for whether to pre-book or not, my short answer is probably unnecessary - as there are always plenty of ride-sharing in the area, just outside the airport.  Carmel (and Dial 7) has a dispatcher/kiosk at T-B to help book a ride - they have their own holding/staging lot & garage off the airport.  If you are running shot on time, take a taxi for a faster trip overall - unless there's exceptional traffic congesiton, fares will be higher but not terrible.  

As a matter of fact, I will be at LGA myself next Thursday & again the following and check out what's the latest with the long term construction & impact on the service roadways inside the airport.  Updates will definitely go to the LGA 411 thread that we try to maintain as alerts for fellow cruisers.  

This week is United Nations week & General Assembly in NYC, traffic will be a nightmare but mostly on midtown East, although when the various executive protection & VIP security details start moving their guests, moving roadblocks & frozen zones will be a given - especially when the POTUS ...  The most hated Koscuiuszko Bridge interchange that span over LIE (I-495) and BQE (I-278) between Queens & Brooklyn as the vital link to/from the airports with its billion dollars makeover is finally done & fully open - traffic flow has improved for commuters ... and, should help ease some of the bottleneck congestions.  

From Brooklyn pier to Times square hotel, is it best to pre book a car service or just get in line for a taxi? 

6 hours ago, emdia43 said:

From Brooklyn pier to Times square hotel, is it best to pre book a car service or just get in line for a taxi? 

Yellow (metered) Taxi availability can vary by day of the week/time - as they do not "cruise" in that area, unlike popular tourist landmarks in Manhattan & Times Square area ... wait time & line for it can be long as they arrive to drop-off embarking passengers.  

Since you are staying in town & not in a hurry to catch a train, bus or flight home - relax & wait (if I were you) until others are off the ship - get your luggage & clear CBP, etc. and call for pickup by your pre-book car service (we recommend Dial 7 and/or Carmel ... which we use all the time ourselves) for a relaxed trip to your hotel.  Especially on a weekday, commuter traffic would ease by mid morning for a less congested trip into town.  Fares by taxi or car service, including a toll & congestion surcharge - should be very similar, plus toll. "Savings" for using Uber/Lyft (disclosure: which I am not a fan of) isn't what it used to be w. recent rulings & regulations - especially if surge pricing kicked in for on-demand rides at the pier.